4.0 out of 5 stars Cute
This is a cute, short story in need of a better cover!(Yea, you got one!) It is similar in feel to Kels Barnholt's What's Meant To Be (Westport High) or Ann Herrick's Snowed in Together. Although there is no sex, there is profanity (f-word, etc) so I would recommend to the older YA.

Zack has been in an accident that has left him in a coma and Paige has...
Published on February 20, 2012 by The Book Runner

2.0 out of 5 stars Unusual
Published on March 6, 2012 by Shirley Wine

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)

Zack has been in an accident that has left him in a coma and Paige has cheated on a paper which earns her public service hours. Because of her theatrical background, she is assigned to read to Zack in hopes of stimulating his mind. She is totally grossed out by this and is very superficial when we meet her. Both Zack and Paige have been acting a part to please others, and it is by reading his diary aloud to him that she begins to fall in love with him and becomes challenged to make changes in her own life.

This story was fun to watch unfold and might have made a great full length novel. Of course, because of its brevity the characters and plot were not hashed out and the ending was sweet, predictable and yet abrupt. As a free download, it was certainly entertaining and a great taste of this author's creativity and I would read more from this author.

Would I/Did I buy it? Free Download
Would I read it again? No
Would I recommend it to friends? Yes

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, I'm surprised. This was very good., March 16, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
I read this wondering about it being one I could recommend to my Middle School students, while thinking it would be too YA for me to enjoy. At first it was a little bit, but soon I had to keep reading to see what happened. I love the ending. I strongly recommend this to all teenagers. It teaches a great lesson by allowing us to watch two teens learn about growing up. The only thing I didn't like was that the young man was sexually active in high school. It was in his past - because he is in a coma when the story takes place. Other than that, it ends well. Everyone learns and points their life in a good direction. I enjoyed reading the day to day activities of the characters, and it didn't drone on and on. I'm keeping this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars None, March 13, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge reader. I almost overlooked this short story becuase of the YM and becuase of the frivlious cover. I am so glad I took the time. I laughted out loud. I cried. I felt for the minor charaters as well as the main two. I would love to see this story made into a movie or better yet a play. Great read rather you are 15 or 50. Loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, March 6, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
This is a very touching story obviously aimed at a younger audience but also able to be enjoyed by seniors. It tells the story of a popular girl who does the usual mean acts to remain popular among her peers being forced to do community service. Her punishment for cheating is to read to a teen in a coma after an accident. During the process she discovers strengths and a depth of character she never knew she had.

All in all an interesting topic and one close my heart but I found it unrealistic given Zach's high dependency he would be cared for at home.In the whole book there wasn't another carer in sight except this medically inept teen. Really Strange. Surely given Zach's wholly dependant state, he would have been in a clinic at the very least, even in America. Such patients need constant monitoring. So not at all convincing from a medical standpoint.

Another area that wasn't explored and would have added more depth to the story would be a greater interaction between the heroine and Zach's parents especally more interation with Zach's father. The one brief glimpse given of this pivotal character didn't satisfy this reader. I wanted so much more.

And I found the mother totally uncomvincing. But my view may be coloured by having been in exactly that position with one of my sons. And yes we had to make the life support decision.

This book, while cute, had the potential to be so much more. In this sense it disappointed this reader. It is a glib attempt at a deeply emotional topic and just too superficial to satisfy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Short Story!, May 13, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
I loved this short story and it left me wanting more. Zach is in a coma. Paige is a teenager who is caught up in being popular and looking down at those she thinks are beneath her. After being caught for cheating, her punishment is to use her drama skills and read to the coma kid. What starts out as a horrible community service project for Paige turns into something more. Paige's true colors come out and she realizes she isn't that stuck up after all. This is a unique story. I like the dialogue Paige at first forced herself to have with Zach and how as time went by, she was able to do it so freely. If you like something that pulls on your heartstrings and is romantic, then this is a great story for you. Also, when I received it from Amazon it was free. Check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and well written!!, April 28, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
I was very pleasantly surprised by Sleeping Handsome. This was a great read and does a fantastic job showing the growth of the young characters. I nearly cried about the decision that Zack's parents had made, which reminded me of a true story I heard on a Radiolab podcast about a young woman in a coma named Emilie and the boyfriend who believed in her and wouldn't give up on her when others wanted to pull the plug.

5.0 out of 5 stars YA Sweet Fairy Tale Come True, March 20, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
I am a sucker for this type story and encourage these books for teens. The teens are not perfect but are hitting the point where their decisions and choices are having a greater say over who and what they will become. Do I keep running with the gang even if I do not agree with some of the places they are taking me? Do I tell my parents how I really feel about their views about my future? As a mom, I have told my kids to plan on college...but do not know how I would take one deciding to pursue a Broadway Career fresh out of high school...except I would likely encourage they try their chops at a great Arts school first. From my memory and from seeing college students and my own children struggle...those who make these choices and find their backbone to seek a worthy life are to be applauded. It is so much easier to just go with the flow and let life be what happens to you instead of what you make it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too cute of a romance ^_^. And life lessons...Definitely., March 14, 2012
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
It was really a cute romance. :D. I loved this short story. It also writes about how in life we should take control in our lives, and not let anyone take advantage of us, and when we should step up our game before things go a bit crazy. And out of control. That is one the big reasons why i loved it too aside from the romance. It teaches us not a little, but a BIG something. :) i would definitely recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
This story had me, at the risk of sounding cliche, hooked from line one. I found the characters enjoyable and loved that there wasn't much interaction from the one room itself. I am a big reader, but haven't been able to see anything through for a while, and this was just the story to swing me right back into motion and remind me of all the reasons I love reading. I would definitely recommend this, and will surly be reading more of this author's work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Sleeping Handsome (Kindle Edition)
This was the first "teen romance" that I've read in years that was captivating, well-written, and enjoyable. The story line was very believable, as was the ending although it seemed to happen too quick. The characters were also believable, appearing like typical teens in any time period. I look forward to reading the sequel because I'm anxious to learn what happens to Zach and Paige.

Sleeping Handsome