5.0 out of 5 stars 35 years old and I watched it 3 times in one week!!!!
Published on January 28, 2005 by Stevie Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly, Pre-teen Fun
Published on October 24, 2006 by K. Fontenot

3.0 out of 5 stars Silly, Pre-teen Fun, October 24, 2006
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
"Sleepover" is a four star flick--if you're thirteen. I'm not saying that it's a bad film, it's just very, very demographically targeted at a specific audience. The producers knew exactly what they were doing when they green-lighted this project. It stars "Spy Kids" alum Alexa Vega, and "Darcy's Wild Life" and "Aquamarine" star Sara Paxton. It also features Sam Huntington ("Jungle 2 Jungle," "Superman Returns"), and pre-teen starlets Kallie Flynn Childress, Mika Boorem, and Scout Taylor-Compton. The adult cast features a pre-"40 Year Old Virgin" Steve Carell, fellow "Virgin" star Jane Lynch and "Daddy Day Care" star Jeff Garlin.

The plot revolves around a, you guessed it, sleepover, in which a jilted Paxton decides to gang up with her friends to challenge Vega and her brood to a scavenger hunt. The prize in the balance is to either sit at the fountain during lunch or near the trash bins. Sophomoric, I know, but it works perfectly in this little comedy. The tasks in the hunt range from swiping a tag off of a rent-a-cop car to "borrowing" a pair of underwear from the apple of Vega's eye.

From there, the story becomes pretty formulaic. The girls go from one task to another and achieve them with pre-teen humor in full force. Carell fails horribly in his attempt to catch the girls in the act. It all plays out like an expanded episode of "Full House" where D.J. and her pal Kimmy get into typical pre-teen sitcom trouble. In the end it works as a pre-teen story, but most people older than fifteen will probably not care to watch it more than once.

Although it's a pretty good flick, I'd only consider buying it when my daughter hits the age of ten or eleven. Even then, however, this movie would probably only warrant a four year shelf life before my daughter grew tired with it. It's perfect for sleepovers, and coupled with Paxton's "Aquamarine" (which is actually pretty good), it's a guaranteed good time for young girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars 35 years old and I watched it 3 times in one week!!!!, January 28, 2005
Stevie Smith "HMR" (Sioux City, IA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
Last week I watched this movie because my friend's twelve-year-old daughter who I was watching wanted to see it. I thought I would "suffer" through. I LOVED IT!!!! I convinced my 42-year old husband to watch it and he thoroughly enjoyed it although I had to drive him crazy to get him to watch it. Then, last night, before I had to return it to the video store, I watched it with another 12-year old whose parents are close friends.

Why I liked the movie:

First of all, it's cute and it moves at a great pace. It pokes fun at the adults enough to be genuinely funny and not overdone. And the portrayal of the oblivious dad, the overprotective mother, and the big brother who comes through in the end is soooo accurate in my experience.

Second, while the snot girls are mean, they aren't heartless and they get their coming-tos in the end. Also, the main one, Stacey, has enough character development...finding out what older guys CAN be about and being disappointed, etc. that she is not a completely unsympathetic character.

My favorite two characters are Julie and Yancy. Julie because she's got spunk and Yancy because she is such an honest character. I also loved that Yancy's character is bolstered, let down and bolstered again. My favorite subplot has to be the celery vs. brownies theory...what a great point to be made for girls who are bigger or struggle with other physical self-esteem issues...find someone who is interested in you as you are, not as they might want you to be!

Also, I loved the fact that the closest it came to swearing of any sort was "For the love of carbs!"...there wasn't even any euphemistic stuff like "freaking," etc. Now, I am not a prude, believe me...I am a recovering alcoholic and have been in therapy for seven years. I started "going around the block" at about Julie's age and so, yes, I have ISSUES :). However, it is sooooo refreshing to watch a movie that isn't violence, sex, and swearing and just makes you feel good for everyone in the end! (even the snotty girls...at least they still have each other...Hannah moves away).

Another thing I was impressed with is the scene where Steve figures out from the yearbook who Julie is and says she grew up "nice"...instead of focusing on T & A...he lists her school activities...debate, basketball, and her hobbies...skate boarding, etc. In other words, it's not all about shallow stuff...he's attracted to her physically sure, but his real interest is piqued when he finds out a little about WHO she is not WHAT she is. His character does this again by the fountain when he compliments her not on her looks but on her laugh. These are great messages for both adolescent boys and girls!!!!

Of course, Ren, the Patrol-Tec guy, and "Sponge-Bob" give the movie lots of extra hoots and interplay.

This is just a great movie, period. I am probably going to buy it...for myself :). It goes on my list with 10 Things I Hate About You, Never Been Kissed, and Miss Congeniality as a keeper for cute movies that give you warm fuzzies and move at a pace that keeps it interesting!

Compliments to the writer of this script, the actors who made it real and the director and producer who pulled it together seamlessly. Yes, I would give it an Oscar if they would make a category for well done youth films...books have awards for Children and Adolescent literature...maybe movies should too and we'd see some better quality in PG and PG-13 movies!! Just my humble opinion.

OK, I am done now :).

Heidi Rosin, 35

Sioux City, IA

4.0 out of 5 stars "Sleepover" is "Mean Girls" for the 'tween crowd, December 1, 2004
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
When I watched "Mean Girls" I could not help but think juniors in high school have nothing on girls in junior high. Surviving eighth grade is the hard part for teenage girls, but at that age you still have to be driven by somebody to the movie theater, so Hollywood continues to aim for older adolescents. "Sleepover" is about junior high girls, although on the final day of junior high, as they are about to become freshmen. But while we once again have the clash between the girls who rule the school and those who aspire to such lofty positions, this is a film that emphasizes "cute" over "cruel."

Julie (Alexa Vega) is having a sleepover not only because it is the last day of school but also because her best friend Hannah (Mika Boorem) is moving away. Farrah (Scout Taylor-Compton) is coming as well, but Julie's former best friend Stacie (Sara Paxton), has moved on to be Queen Bee of the snooty girls and will not be attending. When Stacie and her pack of brats insult Yancy (Kallie Flynn Childress), Julie invites her to be the fourth. Stacie has a date to go to the high school dance with the second string quarterback in his sports car, but he is more interested in parking than in dancing, so Stacie decides it would be more worthwhile to crash Julie's sleepover and challenge the girls to a scavenger hunt. This will require Julie and her friends to break the rules laid down by her mom, Gabby (Jane Lynch), because they will have to leave the house. But at stake is the prime seating place for eating lunch in high school, and there is also a good-looking boy.

Now, if the most high and mighty junior high girls on the face of the Earth think they are going to get to sit in the best place at lunch in high school, then they have a rude awakening in store for them. But the idea of a privileged place is certainly going to resonate with young viewers (although an outdoor lunchroom is not really a part of our culture) and "Sleepover" is clearly intended as an adolescent fantasy. How else do you explain the interest of high school boys in under-aged girls (who manage to get into dance clubs) or why there are kings and queens named at end of the school year dances (or why anyone other than a senior would get the crown).

Ultimately, "Sleepover" is above Julie and her friends getting a boost of adolescent self-confidence that will allow them to survive the horrors of high school. Julie has an advantage in that Hannah is there to give her a push. Hannah has her act together in a way that Stacie and the others never will; you get the feeling Hannah could be Queen Bee but that the role never goes to anyone who would be a benevolent leader. Your tolerance for this film will have to do entirely with your ability to enjoy all the cuteness. But subtlety is often lost in such adolescent fare (and there is an unexpected "nude" scene), and if other films directed at the 'tween audience could follow in the wake of this one that would be a good thing. The problem of course is by the time a film like this gets made and ends up on DVD a leading girl like Vega is already beyond the 'tween stage and in danger of becoming another yet Lindsay Lohan or Hillary Duff and the vicious circle continues in terms of teenage movies. But hopefully the success of this film will engender more to follow, even if a new crop of young stars will need to be found for each one.

My biggest complaint with "Sleepover" is actually about the end credits. This is where we get to see photographs of the cast with their names. We get Alex Vega (Julie), Mika Boorem (Hannah), Jane Lynch (Gabby), Sam Huntington (Ron), the trio of Sara Paxton (Staci), Brie Larson (Liz), and Scout Taylor-Compton (Farrah), the duo of Douglas Smith (Gregg) and Katija Pevec (Molly), with Steve (Sherman) and Jeff Garlin (Jay). Left out are Kalie Flynn Childress as Yancy, who had more to do than the Stacie or Liz characters, Russell (Evan Peters) who had way more to do that Gregg, and Sean Faris as Steve, the boy toy in the bottom of the box is even further down. Here is this above average juvenile cast in a nice ensemble effort and suddenly at the end what becomes important are what their agents negotiated for their clients rather than what actually happens in the film. At least on the DVD you have a commentary track with director Joe Nussbaum and Vega, Boorem, Taylor-Compton and Childress giggling their way through the film to get you back to thinking happy thoughts about the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!!!, June 28, 2004
A Kid's Review
Recently, I saw this movie with my mom as a two-week early preview to the release July 9th. I loved this movie...definitely one of my favorites with Raising Helen and 13 Going on 30.
The plot is about a girl named Julie (Alexa Vega) who is treated like a child by her parents. School has just ended and her best friend, Hannah, is moving away so she decides to throw a sleepover. It starts out as the average slumber party, until the popular crowd steps in.
The leader of the group, Stacie, starts a scavenger hunt-the prize is the best lunch spot in High School-the fountain. From going into her crush's house to seeing her mom and teacher at a dance club, Julie's sleepover is bound to be a wild ride-with a few twists.
This movie was great, and usually really funny. Julie's older brother added a lot of humor to the film, and the cast was really great, too. 5 out of 5 stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Co-el!, October 26, 2005
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
I really disagree with the person who published their comment on the 11th June 2005. So what? Its a movie, duh, not real life.

I really enjoyed this movie and I thought it was quite cool. I love american movies (i'm english) and i have fun watching them.

This is just your average cheesy chick flick, i love it sooo much i would recommend it to everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun 'Sleepover'., December 21, 2004
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
This is one of those fluffy movies that you just can't bring yourself to admit you enjoy. I thought the plot was on the cheesy side, but it was still interesting to watch how everything went all the way up until the end. I think Alexa Vega is a great actress, I've never seen her in anything before this. She's a fresh face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent funny movie!, March 30, 2005
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
I watched this two nights ago and it is a really good movie. It made me laugh a lot! I didn't expect this to be good (in fact, I was thinking 'ugh, NOT another teenage chick flick') but it WAS reeeeally funny. I agree with the first reviewer on here--it did remind me a bit of Mean Girls but a little younger. So if you want a chick flick that will make you laugh, this is the one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for young teen girls!, December 30, 2004
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
Sleepover is a great movie for young teen girls, especially if they are having a sleepover! I have 5 & 6 year old girls and they found it entertaining as well - tho they didn't understand a lot of it.

This is a movie about Julie (Alex Vega), a Junior High student entering the summer before her Freshman year of High School. Julie is dealing with the reality that her best friend is moving away and she will face High School without her. A sleepover is planned at Julie's house for Julie, Hannah (Mika Boorem), Gabby (Jane Lynch) and Stacie (Sara Paxton), however Stacie is now part of the "in" crowd and cannot make it to the sleepover due to a dance she will be attending with her older boyfriend. As Stacie disses Yancy (Kalie Flynn Childress) in front of the rest of the girls, Julie hands Stacie's invitation to the slumber party to Yancy.

Stacie ends up not attending the dance and decides it would be fun to plan a scavenger hunt. Stacie teams with a group of "popular" girls (and a driving permit) against Julie & the gang. Winner takes all! (The best seats for lunch next year at school! - the seats NOT next to the garbage dumpsters!) Without a permit or a vehicle it seems a cinch that Stacie and her friends will win, but wait! Yancy has a plan!

This is a cute movie full of exciting twists & turns during the scavenger hunt - especially since the girls were not to leave the house! There is also a "first crush" love story here.

Cute movie! I recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Be Fooled..., October 19, 2005
Jason (Brentwood, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
You may think this is your typical "Teen Movie" with all of the cliches. And you're right! But, this movie is different. It is actually very funny and extremely entertaining. I could watch it over and over. This is coming from a 21 year old (straight) guy and I typically do not like movies like this but, I was over at a friend's house who has a nine year old daughter and she begged me to watch it with her and I did. I was extremely surprised. I laughed so hard at the mannequin scene (you'll know why when you see it). Also, there was a reviewer on here that commented on several points of the movie. One of them was talking about Julie's friend Hannah moving to Vancouver and said the following:

Quote:

"...at the end, we find out that Julie's best friend is moving. No prior mention of this, just a "I have to go home and pack" "So you're really moving" exchange."

Just to let you know (since you obviously weren't paying that much attention, the very first line of the movie is from Julie saying: "I can't believe you're moving. Where is Vancouver anyway?" Plus, Hannah moving is mentioned about 8 other times in the movie as well. In the first 5 minutes, it's mentioned three times.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Anyways, this will be one of those "Breakfast Club" type movies. Not extremely popular when released but, over time it will become a High School Reunion classic along with "She's All That" and "10 Things I Hate About You" (awesome movie).

This is a great movie and I would recommend it to anybody. Very funny!

Oh, and the best part of the movie is the very last 10 seconds of it (WATCH WHAT STACI DOES) LOL!

4.0 out of 5 stars HIDDEN EASTER EGG, December 7, 2004
This review is from: Sleepover (Special Edition) (DVD)
Directed by Joe Nussbaum, Sleepover revolves around one of the hallmarks of female friendship: the all-important slumber party. In hopes of shedding their not-so-cool reputations during the summer before their freshman year, best friends Julie (Alexa Vega), Hannah (Mika Boorem), Yancy (Kalli Flynn Childress), and Farrah (Scout Taylor-Compton) decide to host the sleepover of their lives. Far from a mere pillow-fight-laden girl talk-fest, this sleepover includes an intense scavenger hunt against the most simultaneously loathed and envied young women they know: the infamous "popular" clique. Along the way, the girls manage to hijack a car, sneak into clubs, engage in a first kiss, and learn more than a little bit about themselves and their capabilities - all while evading the watchful eyes of Julie's mother

As to the easter egg, here is how to find it:

----------------------------------------------------------------

highlight "Ready, Set, Action!" on the Special Features Menu and pressing left

contains another 3-minute gag/highlight reel, as well as congratulations from Alexa Vega for finding the Easter Egg.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a big deal hidden easter egg as what is shown is the same stuff shown in some of the other special features

BUT,the nice thing is as soon as you are taken to this hidden extra, Alexa does congradulate you for finding this, as I mentioned allready.

ENJOY!