Slice 10400 Box Cutter with Ceramic Blade
Size: Single BoxcutterColor: ManualChange
Price:$14.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 7, 2012
The basic design concept of this box cutter is no different than a generic $5 carpet cutter but there are some design refinements that make this thing perfect for home use (especially by online shopping addicts, not that I'd know any).

-The blade doesn't protrude much farther out than how thick heavy corrugated cardboard is. This should be adequate for opening any boxes you'll run into but the potential dangers (to both you and your delivered products) are minimized. Single edged razor style carpet cutters generally extend MUCH further.

-The blade also has a shorter click-stop that is a great depth for cutting tape, since opening most boxes doesn't require cutting the cardboard

-The ceramic blade should last all but indefinitely provided it doesn't hit any hard surfaces. I used to have a ceramic paring knife and chipped the blade when it knocked against something in the kitchen. The fact that this blade doesn't extend very far prevents that from happening with this blade. Just don't try and slice your chives with it on a marble cutting board and you'll be fine :)

-This blade is sharp enough to slice through heavy corrugated cardboard with ease, whether tearing down boxes or cutting the flaps off a 12 pack of beer bottles

-The flat surface from which the blade protrudes is big which has a VERY nice effect. When cutting cardboard with a normal knife, even a sharp one, the blade can go in to the hilt, then you draw the blade outward and it can come out entirely, and you end up almost sawing the cardboard. With the large flat on this box cutter controlling blade depth is no longer an issue. Just drag the flat end along the box and it is neatly sliced. This is another reason it is safer (for you and whatever's in the box).

-I didn't understand the curve of this cutter very well before I had it in my hands. I figured it could be a knuckle guard but who scrapes up their knuckles on cardboard boxes? Once I started using it I realized that this shape allows you to quickly slide the handle into a pocket or belt to hold it securely but still keep it accessible

-In addition to the "quick draw" while you're opening boxes, the curve also lets you hang up this cutter on a nail. For instance if you have children and want this out of reach you could hang it high on the wall on the inside of a coat closet or pantry or anywhere else near where you will need it.

The only thing I don't like about this is the price, but such is the way of niche products. I'm sure the ceramic blade is a big part of the cost too.

I'm happy to answer any questions- just leave them in the comments. Hopefully this is Helpful!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I open hundreds of boxes a year at home and work. This product is well designed and cuts really well. The blade doesn't "feel" as sharp as a steel razor, yet it cuts with more ease and precision. It's not cheap, but it handles in a way that clearly reduces the risk of injury. I'm ordering 2 additional box cutters and replacement blades for other locations. (This review is written to offset the "spam" review that should be removed.)
on September 1, 2013
I work on the 'factory floor' of a facility that does print fulfillment. That means I need a box cutter dozens of times a day. Thinking I would have the coolest cutter on my shift, I ordered this thing.

During a days work, I need to cut strapping, pallet wrap, and boxes. LOTS of each. This tool is excellent at cutting boxes, but fails miserably at the other two. It simply won't deal with plastic strapping, and pallet wrap bunches up on the plastic body of the cutter and slides around it.... uncut. The blade on mine protrudes .5" at best, and just isn't up to the job.

Now.... boxes..... THOSE it cuts very well indeed, as long as they are not thicker than the blade protrudes. Anything else? Not so much.

I went back to a Kershaw pocket knife, and sharpening it daily on a kitchen steel.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 17, 2012
As I frequently order online, I receive a lot of boxes and have always used scissors to open up my packages. Unfortunately, I would frequently come into contact with one of the blades and would end up cutting a finger :(.

I was looking for a good box cutter on Amazon and came across this one. On the basis of these reviews, I ordered one - and am I ever glad I did. The design behind this cutter is fantastic, it grips perfectly in my hand allowing me to comfortably maneuver around whatever it is I'm trying to cut and the ceramic blade performs great slicing up various material from cardboard to plastic straps.

I had a question about the ceramic blade and emailed the company. I received a very detailed and informative response from TJ which shows me that Slice stands behind their product.

If you're in need of a safe and efficient box cutter, look no more.

UPDATE FEBRUARY 2015: I've now had this box cutter for a few years now and it still works perfectly! Have not had to change the blades as of yet which is wild as I use it almost every day.
on May 16, 2013
While this box cutter doesn't necessarily have any features that will wow you to death, it's definitely a great tool to have around (much better than any other box cutter I've used). I do most of my shopping online, which means I end up receiving (and opening) lots of boxes. This box cutter does the job perfectly.

The ceramic blade is sharp and so far hasn't dulled (over a month of use). I love the fact it has three lengths: fully retracted (duh), fully extended, AND slightly extended. The slightly extended length is PERFECT for cutting tape to open or break down boxes. It's also nice having the peace of mind you won't accidentally cut something inside the box due to just the right length. It's perfect for packaging items (e.g. cutting labels and tape) as well.

It's a box cutter and there's not much to say, but it does its job exactly as you would expect (better than most). For anyone who regularly opens or breaks down boxes or packages things into boxes, this is a must have, and you won't be disappointed.
on January 2, 2012
This product was delivered in a timely manner and was in new condition on arrival. I have had this product for over one month, and have found it extremely useful and quite durable. I receive packages daily from online purchases. I tired of using my house keys to open boxes and similarly to deconstruct the boxes afterward for recycling, and so I opted for this product. It does what it says and is quite efficient in carrying out its intended function. It is comfortable to use and really beats the hell out of using ones house keys to open packages. I would buy another should the need ever arise.
on December 21, 2012
This little "gadget" knife is easy and fun to use. The blade doesn't stick out more than a quarter inch but is long enough for most tasks.

The blade (reversible and replaceable) stays sharp but tends to chip unexpectedly. Luckily, if it chips on you just slide out the blade's housing and reverse it. Now you can cut with the other end. I bought a box of spares (set of 4) just in case the other end gives out one day too.
on February 24, 2014
I should have known better, but the design of it looked really handy. It is. Kindof. The rounded end keeps it accessible in a pocket. The trouble is with the auto retractable part. You have to hold the slider forward to expose the blade, which is very small. If you're breaking down a couple hundred boxes, you'll be wishing you had an old school drywall knife. And if you're trying to cut an industrial quality cardboard box, it just isn't going to get through on the first pass. Sometimes newer and safer isn't better, it's just a pain in the ass.

Handy if you need to use it occasionally. If you use a box cutter every day, you will hate it.
on August 4, 2012
I already had a standard box cutter and I bought this just for fun to see if it could make the job any easier.

I just finished cutting up a box used to ship a large TV table. I can say that this ceramic box cutter did the job better than I could have with the metal blade. The cutting was just more fluid and the tool feels really good in your hands. The cardboard was a little thicker than a standard shipping box and the ceramic blade did a great job of cutting it. I don't know how to describe it but the ceramic blade makes a very distinctive "hissing" sound when cutting through the cardboard. I think that demonstrates that it is sharper than the metal blade because the metal blade makes a more lower pitched sound.

Also, with the metal box cutters, my hand usually gets fatigued when doing a large job because the tool does not feel good in your hand. This ceramic cutter feels good in your hand and I had little to no fatigue. I want to point out that you should take care not to drop the tool as I can see how the tool would be susceptible to breaking if it fell to the ground.

Other than that, if you are cutting up a lot of boxes, I highly recommend this tool.
on May 30, 2012
This thing sure cuts boxes! I mean, I have been running around to my neighbors, offering to cut up boxes for them. Wish it was a bit easier to get blades for, but maybe they last a real long time...stay tuned.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations