If Father Knows Best had been revised in 1980's , It would have been called Growning Pains-Tim Brooks, Prime Time Guide to Network Shows

One of the two staples of the 1980's sitcoms was Growing Pains> the Other is (the unleased to DVD at this time) Family Ties (with Micheal J. Fox).

Alan Thicke does his best TV work playing Jason Seavers, a home office Psychiatric doctor working at home and a SUPERDAD. He is a shrink who doesn't understand his three kids. His wife Maggie (Joanna Kerns) returns to the work world as a report for the local paper.The three kids... Mike (Kirk Cameron) who is a con man, slacker and a huster, always looking for the newest deal...Carol (Tracie Gold) who is the brainy intelligent one and Ben (Jeremy Miller) who as the youngest child tries to act like both Mike and Carol with limited success.

What makes this TV show work is the interplay between the characters. Its the writing that makes this show.

The extras on this set is a cute documentary of the cast talking of the show (S'mores and more) and the Original pilot with another actress playing Carol. What is missing is cast commentaries on any episodes in this set.

Is it worth it? Yes and it barely dates itself...King of The Hill and the Simpsons took pages from the Growing Pains's playbook..you can see this when you watch these episodes

Bennet Pomerantz, AUDIOWORLD
on June 13, 2006
Has it been over 20 years? Time flies. If you watched this show when it aired, then this is a MUST HAVE!

This was everything I imagined, and more. Seeing the un-aired pilot was awkward with the other young lady, and I can see why they changed. The show would not have been the success that it was without all of the cast they ended up with.

It was great seeing episodes I have not seen in years, and even better to see ones I have never seen. Although like anything older, it is dated in some ways, but it really brought me back to a great time in this country, and in television.

This had to be the tops for that time frame, and the length of it's run time proves it.

I liked the bloopers, but wanted more afterwards, there are not many. The campfire extra they throw in is nice as well. It's nice to see everyone as they are now. Although it a little was scary seeing Tracey Gold try to sing the theme along with everyone, she did not know the words? Imagine that! I know she's been through a lot, but she grew up on that show, those words should be as easy to repeat as her own name. It made me feel sorry for her, but I guess she's had her mind on more important things.

All in all, this was a welcome addition to my collection of DVD's, and probably my most respected. I cannot wait for the other seasons to come out, how long must we wait??

GET IT!
VINE VOICEon March 25, 2007
Born in 1980, I grew up with the Seavers, who seemed to me the essence of a closeknit family...

With mom Maggie a journalist, dad Jason works from home -- something of a novelty in '80s television, and maybe even today. His kids need his attention, in different ways: 15-year-old Mike's a hormonal troublemaker with an engaging personality, while 14-year-old Carol is studious and a worrier, while 9-year-old Ben's struggling to grow up and come into his own.

"Growing Pains" also features something else that's something of a rarity now...a great theme song! To this day, it's one of my favorites, and included in the TV theme playlist on my iPod.

Whether you grew up with this show and want to reminisce, or want to introduce it to you kids, definitely pick up this box set! You'll be sure to get lots of laughs, and even learn the inevitable moral or two along the way.
on June 7, 2005
I'm writing 'cause I agree with all the reviews here! Growing Pains is an all-time best sitcom ever! Great acting, humour, drama and plots with good moral - what more could you ask? Please release Growing Pains on DVDs - all the 7 seasons! I've got friends and relatives who will definitely buy them too!!!
on March 30, 2006
Back in 1985, the Seaver Family became my "2nd family." I was 15, and as any teen knows, it can be a challenging age. Trying to find my place in the world. Dealing with my own family problems. Needing a place of refuge. Back then, I didn't know that God alone could give me the peace I needed, so I hid from my problems by immersing myself in Growing Pains. Admittedly, I was "obsessed". Kirk became my "idol". Alan was the dad I always wished I had. And Tracey and Jeremy reminded me so much of my own brother and sister, that I felt like a perfect fit. Watching this Season One, brought back so many memories.

I'm actually gratefully now for the part the Seavers played in my life. It was an exceptionally well written show and the acting, in my opinion was top rated. They were all pros, and as the above review stated, you really did feel like they were a real family. I was blessed with the opportunity to meet several of the cast over the years and I look forward to more seasons to share with my sons and wife, who also love the show! Thanks for bringing the Seavers back!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Eventhough I was to young to original watch "Growing Pains" durring its inital seven-season run on ABC, the show is still forever linked to my childhood through the miracle of syndication. I remember every weekday after school coming home and watching this wonderful seris on the Disney Channel. I really don't know what originally hooked my 5-year-old self, but even today I can still watch these reruns and smile.

The show follows the misadventures of the Seaver Family and all the escapades that life throws them into. First there are the parents: Maggie the new working mother and her partnet in crime, the stay-at-home-father. And then there is Mike who always seems to find himself in trouble, and yet uses his good looks to get out of it. And then there is Carol, book-worm and all-around girl-next-door nerd. Finally (atleast this season) comes Ben the annoying little brother.

This is a family sitcom about a family, and despite a persons age I honestly cannot see how anyone could not giggle and be entertaining with a trip with the seavers.

Getting this show to DVD has been a real chore. For years fans have been asking, bugging, and doing many different things to see the shiney discs for Growing Pains, and now it has finally paid off. Although the extra are pretty sparse, this is a most-have set for any child of the 80s.
on February 18, 2007
I am so glad that they finally decided to release "Growing Pains" on DVD. In my opinion it's one of the best sitcoms ever made. I'm a little appalled that they waited until last year to release it's 1st season, but none the less I'm glad that it's finally out. The show revolves around an upper middle class family "The Seavers", whom are Dr.Jason Seaver (Alan Thicke) A Psychiatrist, that started working at home. Maggie Seaver (Joanna Kerns)A Reporter. Mike Seaver (Kirk Cameron)The Oldest Child, and troublemaker. Carol Seaver (Tracey Gold) the Middle Child, and Brainiac. Ben Seaver (Jeremy Miller)The Youngest Child, and most difficult to control. Out of all of these my favorite character was Carol Seaver. I always thought her character was smart, witty, and cute. I haven't had a chance to buy this yet, but I will. This is a must-have for any collection, especially those of you who are fond of awesome 80s sitcoms like this one. Growing Pains is a great show, with great little plots, and shall remain a classic in my book. *Cheers*
on February 21, 2006
Please release the 2nd season on DVD also a friend of mine named annonymous_man recently posted a review asking for seasons 2-7 to also be released.

I AGREE more seasons of Growing Pains should be released on DVD for sale (in same way as complete season 1 DVD). The episodes from season 2 I am really interested in are Employee of the Month where Mike Seaver becomes Employee of the Month at a burger restaurant he is working at and gets a new car from his parents (his first car) but gets fired from work by his boss because he covered for a girl named Terri who leaves her register drawer open.

Both of us want to see the season 2 DVD so we can see that episode and all the other episodes from season 2 of course, PLUS DVDs of all later seasons eventually being released.

PLEASE GET the Complete Second & Third Seasons of Growing Pains ASAP on DVD and a while after that also as soon as possible get the rest of the series all seasons completely on DVD. It's about time the first season got released on DVD for sale I was beginning to wonder why it was taking so long.

I also want the season featuring Luke to also be released on DVD along with the episode where Mike goes back to Dewey High School, his old high school where he graduated from as a substitute teacher. - just as my friend annonymous_man had requested.
on February 10, 2006
Wow! Watching this show again after so many years brings back so many memories. It also makes me realize things I didn't recognize on the first go round.

I had absolutely forgotten the little vignette before each episode that told you the premise of the show: Jason Seaver, a psychiatrist, is going to be working out of the home and raising the three children because his wife, Maggie, is going back to work as a journalist.

Of course, the break out star of the show is Kirk Cameron as Mike Seaver, the eldest of the three children. Do TV teen idols in today's world get as big as he was?

The show is fairly typical sitcom fair. There are jokes, sibling rivalry, a problem, and finally, a solution with a moral lesson. Or should I say typical for the 80's; the days of a sitcom ending with a parent going over what the kid has learned has gone the way of the Cosby Show.

The packagaing is attractive and the extras are nice. The unaired pilot with a different actress playing Tracey Gold's "Carol" is interesting and the gag reel is cute. The real treat is the cast sitting around a camp fire reminiscing. It's nearly 30 minutes long and I always enjoy seeing how the stars of yesterday look today. But more than that, it's obvious that they all really enjoy each other's company and are fond of the time they had on the show. Their camaraderie is real and, no doubt,lent to the show's success.

And how about that theme song? It's too bad that in today's competitive TV world, shows don't have time for prolonged theme songs. In a decade filled with memorable ones, this one stands out.

Great job on the DVD set and a great show. Looking forward to season two.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2007
Ok, so I never watched this show when it was originally airing, obviously, but I have been watching it every night on Nick at Night and have fallen in love with it! My mom came down the other night while I was watching it, and she was like "Growing Pains? I LOVE this show!" It is a must for any one that like shows such as Full House, Roseanne, or the Cosby Show. Five satrs all the Way!