Slide It in
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$4.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 30, 2009
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
First let me just say that I think Whitesnake holds the record for most songs about "love". If the word "love" is not already in the song title, then their songs are about love or something in the love-making category (ie: Slide It In, Slow an Easy and Still of the Night). But that's OK, for me it's the music that counts.

Slide It In has always been my favorite WS album. This Deluxe Edition certainly did not change my mind. In fact, this remastered product is of outstanding sound quality and the songs are still great after 25 years. For many years, I never realized their was a UK version of this album. It's kind of cool to hear the UK versions of 8 of these songs. Apparently, they did not have UK versions of the Hungry for Love and Love Ain't No Stranger. If there were, then they are not included in this edition. The booklet includes interview with David Coverdale and I found very interesting. It explains why there were 2 versions.

The UK versions are good, certainly worthy of owning and "nice to have" but the US versions are better. Probably because this is the version I grew up with and am used to. Slide It In is considered WS' "transition" album. But OH BOY! what a transition. SII is more Rock oriented and was a lead-in to what catapulted WS into superstardom in the MTV days. Their 1987 self-titled album wouldn't have been as popular without Slide It In being the predecessor.

I don't mind that they changed the order of the US versions of the songs. In fact, it brings a new fresh feel. From what I understand, this is the order that David Coverdale originally wanted but of course, the record company moved the title track first and put the best 3 songs in front which most record labels do. Although the best songs are still in the first half, the later half are great as well. In fact, there is not one bad song on this 1984 classic.

The other bonus tracks are OK. Need Your Love So Bad is OK but I'm sure this was a song recorded during these 1984 sessions and just never made the cut. Nice to have but not an essential song.

You really get a nice complete edition with Disc 2. It's always cool to have the videos and think of the good-ole MTV days (when they actually played music videos around the clock) when watching them.

This is great addition to any hard-rock lover and certainly worthy of having in your collection.

I find myself buying more music cds of yesteryear than cds of today. Today's bands just don't measure up to the classic rock years of the 70s and 80s. So if you don't have this cd already, go ahead and buy it. It's worth the price. And to all you classic-rock lovers with kids, it'll be nice to introduce this classic to a new generation.

Finally! I have to give credit where credit is due. Cozy Powell you are missed. God Bless Ya!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 22, 2003
Format: Audio CD
This album is one of my all time Favorites! If I was stranded on a desert island, and could have only five albums with me this would definitely be one of them!! I had to replace it on vinyl at least three times, I played it that much, before I got it on cd. I saw the band on this tour (in 1984) as a special guest to Quiet Riot. I was Blown Away!!!(So was QR-right off of the stage!) From the title track on, it rocks! Mind you, I am reviewing the AMERICAN version of the album. I am still looking for the UK version on Cd.(The UK version has the songs in a different order.) This is the last really true Whitesnake album (recorded as a six piece band). With the AWESOME rhythm section of the Late GREAT (RIP)Cozy Powell on drums-Check out the way he thunders into Slow An' Easy, and also into the last segment of Guilty Of Love! (My absolutely FAVORITE song!) And the HUGELY underrated Neil Murray on bass (Colin Hodgkinson is the bassist on the UK version.) holding down the backline the rest of the musicians can go all out. With Mel Galley and John Sykes (it's MG and Micky Moody on the UK version) on guitars and Deep Purple's Jon Lord on keyboards to fill out the rest of the sound, David Coverdale can truly sing his best! My favorite songs are Slow An' Easy, Guilty Of Love, Love Ain't No Stranger and Standing In The Shadow. This is an album I can really rock out to! Okay, so maybe some of the lyrics are sexist, but I don't care! (What do you expect from somebody who named their band WHITESNAKE? Think about it folks!) This is truly Classic British Rock. This is in no way a hair band. If you see any band photos or videos from this era you can see this is before DC started to do up the glam/glitzy/bleached hair thing!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2003
Format: Audio CD
When I first heard "Slide it in" back in 1984 I was unfamiliar with Whitesnake, but as the opening song "Gambler" (European release) hit my ears I was hooked! Whitesnake gave me exactly what I had been looking for - great songs with excellent vocals. Many of the bands that were around at the time seemed to be more or less amateurs in comparison to David Coverdale's Whitesnake. The music is melodic and catchy - it's traditional blues based hard rock. "Slide it in" can be seen as the bridge between the earlier rhythm & blues approach to the later heavy metal direction. As a dedicated Whitesnake fan I think "Slide it in" is the best album alongside with "Ready an' willing".
Let yourself be blown away by songs like "Gambler", "Guilty of love", "Love ain't no stranger", "Standing in the shadow"!
on February 27, 2006
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
I bought the U.S. version of this first, so I'm obviously more partial to that one. This U.K. version was the first one to be recorded and has Micky Moody instead of guitarist John Sykes, and some bassist by the name of Colin instead of original Whitesnake member Neil Murray. The songs are in a completely different order, starting out with the atmospheric hard rocker " Gambler " instead of the title track, which actually comes next.

The difference in the mixes are immediately noticeable...the U.S. version has the guitars and drums louder in the mix, while Jon Lord's keyboards and Colin's bass are more prominent on the U.K. version. There is also a noticeable difference in some of the backing vocals. As I stated earlier, I prefer the U.S. one, probably because I heard it first and I think it sounds louder, more radio friendly and has more guitar.

Well, whatever one you choose to buy, this is still a very good album and one of Whitesnake's best albums. It's more consistent in terms of musical style than their earlier albums, with the emphasis more on straight forward, in your face hard rock, with just a little bit (but not too much) rhythm and blues thrown in. And Coverdale still has a bit of a preacher man quality about his singing, except that he is preaching about love and sex and sliding his thingy in! He is in top vocal form here, as well. Cozy Powell provides a very solid backbeat throughout the entire album, breathing some extra fire into these songs. And the guitar playing cannot be faulted either.

In terms of songs, my favorites include the blistering title track (though I like the U.S. version of this song much better, especially Sykes' guitar solo, which just blows me mind!), the aforementioned " Gambler ", the upbeat hard rocker " Guilty of Love ", the highly singalongable and clappable " Slow An' Easy ", and "Standing In the Shadow "( I particularly like the backing vocals during the refrain).

There is some filler here, like " Hungry For Love ", and "Spit It Out ", but overall, I find this to be one of Whitesnake's most consistently listenable and enjoyable albums.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 15, 2002
Format: Audio CD
Just listening to this album again after oh...16 years or so, brings me back to the mid 1980's and to the great hard rock that came out of that decade.
Whitesnake's "Slide it in" kicks [rear end]. Even though all the songs, with the exception of the ballads, sound relatively the same, this album is still quite a powerhouse of rock and roll, 80's or not. It is just a good rock album, and I think David Coverdale has a very strong and bold voice reminiencent of Robert Plant. I'm sure Zeppelin was a great inspiration to Coverdale(who later toured with Jimmy Page).
I definitely recommend picking this album up if you appreciate hard rock, so long as you don't mind alot of the songs sounding so much alike.
"Slide it in", and "Slow and Easy" are without a doubt great rock anthems. CRANK THEM UP!!!
on August 3, 2009
Format: Audio CD
I love Slide it In and was stoked to see this release.....however a couple problems....why resequence the U.S. Version? What if Machine Head by Deep Purple was resequenced when it got the remaster treatment? Strange..also why leave off 2 songs from the UK version (Love Ain't No Stranger and Hungry for Love)then add a '97 acoustic Love Ain't No Stranger from Starkers...just doesn't fit...subsequently I had a buddy in Sweden send me the 2 missing tracks so I now have both versions complete...The great part is the b-side bonus track and the dvd..again w. Starkers footage but whatever...I'm a completist and this package fell short even though it still is incredible overall...the US Version really smokes and is interesting to hear the UK version and the differences....to me a totally different LP.....grab this cd no doubt but beware of the 'little' drawbacks.
on July 7, 2003
Format: Audio CD
This is the version of Slide It In that was released in Europe & Canada only, prior to the US release. This release features Mel Galley & Mickey Moody on guitar with the US version including John Sykes & combinations of Moody & Galley. This version has a more blusey sound with John Lord's organ more prominent than on the US version. Listen to some of the solos as they differ from the one's recorded on the US release. A great hard rock album without all the overproduction. This is what a hard rock album should sound like not the pretty boy bands that call themselves rockers today!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 26, 2006
Format: Audio CD
Slide It In represents (to me at least) David Coverdale and Whitesnake at their peak. While this album didn't quite set any sales records when it initially came out back in 1984, word of mouth spread about it and it reached respectable gold status here in the states. After the self titled 1987 album blew things wide open, people would go back and check out Slide It In and push it's overall sales to double platinum.

As a few other reviewers have already mentioned, this album was originally recorded back in 1983 and came out in Britain first. On the advice however of Whitesnake's new A&R rep with their new lable Geffen, David Coverdale would re-mix the album, add some flashier guitar parts on the tracks and re-sequence the song listing.

I have never heard the original British version, but most Whitesnake fans seem to agree that it's the superior version compared to the American version.

Even if you end up getting the more widely available American version, you'll end up getting one of the best hard rock albums to ever be made.

While David Coverdale's sexist at times lyrics can get kind of goofy here and there, his surefire delivery and amazing range manages to sell every single line with the utmost sincerity and authority.

The backing band is amazing as usual with keyboards by ex-Deep Purple member Jon Lord, seering guitar leads by John Sykes (on the American verion only) and thundering drum work by Cozy Powell. The bass work is a little lower in the mix compared to their prior albums to this, but it still is rumbling and moves things along quite nicely.

Slide It In represents to me a perfect balance between their blues/rock past and the much more commercial direction that they would go in with their next release.

Any discerning hard rock or 80's metal fan would do wise to snatch up this album as I feel that it greatly represents this band at the height of their musical prowess.
on May 18, 2000
Format: Audio CD
Whitesnake, to me, never put out great music. But, this album kicks. The title track opens things up and it sounds just like the old Whitesnake. "Love Ain't No Straner" and "Slow And Easy" are also good, but point to things to come. The rest of the album is solid. After this, they went video and really started sounding like all the other hair metal bands of the 80's.
on April 22, 2014
Format: Audio CD
My main reason for writing this is to give (what I believe to be) an accurate and unbiased comparison of the two versions available (as I don't feel anything I've ever read about the two versions is entirely accurate) . While the 25th anniversary version of the CD contains 100% of the US remix it is missing 2 songs from the UK version, so I don't own that CD set. My versions consist of the non-remastered US remix (which I've listened to for the last 25 years) and the non-remastered original UK version (which I just got off ebay). I know, I know...you're thinking "how could 25 years vs. one day be a fair comparison"? It can't, I suppose, but it's my opinion...and I don't see it changing. So here it is:

Although I've listened to the occasional UK versions of some of the songs (on YouTube), this is the first time I've listened to the original in it's entirety (and on a decent sound system). I'm a big fan of early Whitesnake (rarely listening to anything after Slide It In) so I'm not sure why I waited this long to get the UK version, but oh well. Listening the first time (while doing an A-B comparison) I couldn't help but notice the minor guitar flourishes of John Sykes' added guitar parts that were missing from the original. After listening again to the UK version (this time uninterrupted and in it's entirety) I didn't miss a thing...the original UK version is my go-to CD of this album now.

While I admire Sykes' playing, his style is too similar to what Whitesnake would become soon enough (an 80's hair metal band) and it's the thing that simultaneously made the US version sound exciting yet too 80's metal-ish. While the US remix is very good (and what I'm used to) it actually sounds somewhat dated compared to the UK version. It only took one full listen to not miss the guitar accents Sykes provided and realize they were superfluous. I've always been partial to Moody and Marsden (or Moody and Galley in this case) but I never realized how much that original sound would be appropriate for this album. It's like comparing the original Here I Go Again to the version off the Whitesnake album that everyone knows...the original is just better (IMO).

I'm going to avoid doing a song-by-song analysis because I think it does a disservice to the album as a whole (and I'm lazy) but I will clear up a few things. First, I've often read that the UK mix was "flat" or "dull". I think this is completely false. The UK mix puts less emphasis on certain guitar parts but has a much more live (and loud) sounding bass drum. The hi-hats on the UK mix aren't as prominent as they are on the US remix but they are definitely there. The bass parts were redone by Neil Murray for the US remix and I do like them. They are a bit more defined than the ones Colin Hodgkinson layed down on the original, but I think they're both fine and not noticeably different (unless you're really listening for the bass). Other than that, I don't think the quality of the UK mix is flat at all...just different...neither better nor worse. Actually the US mix sounds more compressed and the UK one sounds more live(ly). I like them both but am kind of hooked on the UK mix now (and I hate change, btw).

The real difference (as mentioned before) is the presence of John Sykes. If you like his sound and prefer the sound of the Whitesnake album (1987), stick with the US remix. If you're more a fan of early Whitesnake (Moody, Marsden, Galley) then go with the original UK version. The UK version is more reminiscent of Saints & Sinners while the US remix sounds closer to Whitesnake 1987.

Whatever your preference, you won't go wrong either way. Hope this helps.

*** Update (5/23/14): Been listening to the U.K. mix for a month now and still love it...still my go-to version. The only song that I think is better with the John Sykes guitar sound (and his solo) is the title track. The U.K. version of the song "Slide It In" is very good but the U.S. one is just a tad better (and more appropriate for that song). Other than that, love the U.K. mix.