5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for its size
Published on April 13, 2009 by badgerW

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me
I was not sure if my expectations were unreasonably high at first but after carefully evaluating this tripod for an hour, I've determined this is of no more use to me than a stack of books or any solid object with a flat surface one can find anywhere.

Published on April 11, 2011 by Warpb

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for its size, April 13, 2009
This review is from: Slik Mini-Pro V Tripod with 2-Way Pan/Tilt Head (Electronics)
This little thing can handle a lot of weight for being so small. It will hold a Canon EOS 5D with 24-105 f/4L IS lens and 430EX flash steadily -- in either vertical or horizontal orientation! (You have to mount the camera "sideways" on the base to do vertical shots.) This is a good 3 or 4 pounds of gear, and this much weight absolutely destroys my DSLR-sized Gorillapod. It is no problem for the little Slik, however. Due to weight distribution, this tripod probably will not work for much longer lenses, although if the lens is big enough to have a tripod mount, then it might work. I have been able to use it with my 70-200 f/4L IS both vertically and horizontally with a little care to set the legs at the right angles to provide support where it needs to be.

One other note: I have the "II" version of this tripod (the current version that Amazon sells is "V"), which I purchased used in 2002. It is still going strong! The "V" version looks just the same as mine, based on the Amazon photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, does what its intended to do., August 28, 2012
I just got a new DSLR camera so I also bought several accessories for it. This was one of the items I chose. I have had mini tripods before and they were all fine, but in the past I've only had to deal with Point & Shoot types of cameras, which are obviously lower profile and less weight. When I saw this one (and a couple of others, I was intrigued because of its style). There is no doubt a DSLR with a lens attached is heavy and front loaded (relatively speaking), I really didn't think one of the typical mini's would work based on my experience. This design seemed like a good gamble because it basically resembled a real tripod...just, well....mini sized! I was a little hesitant about the price ($30 shipped), but risked it because at this point $30 was a small amount and really a small price to pay to protect the DSLR.

I just got it today and messed around with it for about a half hour or so. The camera I got was a Canon Rebel T4i and for "testing" purposes I put the bigger of my 2 lenses on which is a Tamron 70-300mm zoom, which at full extension goes 7.5" past the camera body and weighs about 3lbs, 1.7ozs (camera & lens). I can't really be happier, tbh and I'm glad I bought this tripod. Granted, I set it up in my kitchen where everything is flat, solid, and relaxed....but seriously with a short tripod, I'm not going to take a whole lot of risks with my thousand dollar camera....I'm just looking for a secure place to quickly set up the camera when I need to and a big tripod is not practical. This does exactly that.

Pros:

-Sturdy- when used with the legs out and a little common sense, I'm not sure what would make this sturdier. Here's a tip....some have suggested that with a long/heavy lens that you shouldn't set it up without putting one of the legs out under the lens. This works and I agree, I also found that if you extend that leg (just the one under the lens) that it will make the setup even sturdier because it pushes the weight back to the camera. I could slowly push down on the lens and not tip the tripod in this configuration.

-Functional- It operates very similar to any large tripod. The camera screw onto the plate and you swivel it to where you want it, then just lock it in.

-Ease of operation....Its not complicated and can be set up in probably less than a minute...even including screwing the base in (I might be exaggerating, but not by much).

Cons:
-Width- It is wide, as others have said (about a 10.5" triangle)....but I'm using it with a heavy DSLR that sticks out a long way....without screwing it to the solid structure....physics is going to dictate that the base be wide. Not sure how to avoid tipping without spreading the legs out. It may not be practical in all situations, but having the camera fall isn't practical...ever.

-Locking legs- The legs don't lock, they just spread out to their natural (wide position). It works ok, but seems like you should be able to lock them in.

Neutrals:

-Price- Is it worth $30? That's up to the buyer. I think it is, but I also think its build quality is on par with typical cheap tripods and you can buy them for less. Where's the cost in this thing? The legs are like 90% shorter and there aren't as many parts? I'd buy it again, but I'm not convinced there isn't some gouging going on.

-Build Quality- Its on par with typical cheap camera tripods. For what I'm going to use it for, I'm ok with this....but its not bullet proof. The biggest issue I have is that I think I should be careful over-tightening the knobs...I can get them tight without too much torque, but I definitely get the feel that if I overdo it, I'm going to hear a "crack" and it'll be game over.

Issues-

I wanted to address a couple of issues I'd seen in some of the less than happy reviews. Someone said the suction cup only works if the legs are in some weird position. I'm not sure what they meant, but I didn't have this problem. The suction cup is at the bottom of the shaft that adjusts the camera's height. It can be moved up and down by loosening the lock nut just below the swivel head. Set the legs, loosen the shaft, and set the suction cup. It can't work at every height, but if you can use it...its there.

Height...someone complained it wasn't very tall. The top of the plate is 8.5" tall at the fully extended position. I'm not sure how high its supposed to be, its a "MINI" tripod. I don't have a problem at all with the height.

One other reviewer says its too heavy....wait, what? It weighs 12ozs and is a little over 8" all stowed away. Its a little unwieldy I guess for a mini, but I still think it has to be big in order to protect the camera. I'm sure someone could figure out a design that stowed nicely, but at what cost. Weight is absolutely not an issue.

Anyway, real happy with it and I'd buy it again. If I have any issues, I'll update....but for now its a good little tool in the box or bag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice tripod, November 13, 2008
Very nice and best mini tripod for the price. Telescoping legs and suction cup base are a plus. Solid built, takes a beating.Pan head control is very smooth.

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy dependable well built, February 17, 2010
Bought this to hold a Kowa 20-60x 77mm sighting scope. The scope is heavy and moderately expensive, so I wanted a good tripod for it. This fits the bill perfectly for bench sighting my targets. Would trust my Canon EOS 40 with 70-300mm lens with it also. Well constructed, great value for the money. Not a flimsy tripod. Don't think you will be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slik means quality, June 30, 2008
Dave "Digital Movie Guy" (Saugus, MA United States) - See all my reviews
The Slik Mini Pro Table-Top Tripod is all I expected and more. I can put it anywhere on any surface and the camera remains stable. Excellent for using the movie option my Canon LS590. This is the third Slik product I own and would never think of buying any other brand of tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars For the money and my needs-perfect, July 18, 2009
I use this for my Celestron C90 spotting scope at the target range. It works well for that purpose. I use a 25mm eyepiece giving me 40X and it is fine. The C90 definately is a load for this tripod and there is some vibration. I don't use it for my camera shots but it might be a bit light for a large lens on a SLR. Again I don't use it for that purpose so I will leave it at that.

I picked this up for $22.00 with a special no shipping cost and for that price it is a screaming deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can hold alot of weight, September 24, 2009
I bought this for my Rebel Xsi camera. It easily holds the camera, 100mm macro lens, and 580EX flash. If more stability is needed it has a suction cup on the center post. Of course you must have a smooth surface for it to adhere to, but I haven't had the need for it so far. I would have given five stars for construction but the pivoting points are made out of plastic instead of metal. But I'm sure the plastic will hold up for many years equally well. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tripodicus, December 8, 2009
I was on the fence about getting an SLR Gorillapod or this. Based on reviews for gorillapods, I was concerned that the weight or my camera was too much for it. This mini is great for trips out that you're not certain you'll need a tripod or will have lots of nearby "stands" (ie. rocks, tables, chairs).
A quick release would be nice, but that can be added myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, good materials, small for travel, October 27, 2010
This well built little tripod fits in my new Caselogic SLRC-202 Medium SLR Camera Bag (Black). It is sturdy enough to hold my Sony A55 with the SAL18250 lens, together which weigh about 2 pounds. I find I have to have one leg in line with the lens though to keep it from tipping over. No big deal, I've been doing that with a much smaller tripod which I recently gave to my son. The center suction cup is actually useful when putting the tripod on a flat smooth surface like a counter top or a car hood.

Update Nov 17, 2010
I just returned from two weeks in Frace where I took 1,200 photos or so. This little tripod came in handy a couple of times. However I wish it had a ball head. There were a few times where I had to shift the position of the camera on the mount by loosening the screw, turning the camera, and re-tightening the screw. Otherwise I was unable to obtain the correct angle between the camera and subject. My last tripod was a ball head and I didn't realize the restriction I would have without it on this model.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, April 11, 2011

The tripod legs are not stable unless you stretch them as wide as they can go, at which point the tripod is at the closest point possible to the surface, and this is with the legs are fully extended. In order to utilize the suction mechanism the tripod legs have to be precisely somewhere in between the fully extended position to not extended at all, which is not obvious or easy since there are no markings on the extend-able legs.

I was looking for a mini tripod to use with a small dSLR (Pentax K-x) camera to take wide-angle indoor shots. After testing this tripod with even much smaller camera, a Canon Powershot G9, I've decided this tripod simply does not inspire any confidence in trusting my camera or the lenses with therefore it is not the right product for me. I've packed it right back into its little box, which is going back to Amazon soon.

Slik Mini-Pro V Tripod with 2-Way Pan/Tilt Head