Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 14, 2013
I admit it. I have a girl crush on Jillian Michaels. I love that she doesn't coddle people or let them wallow in self-pity. I love that she believes in people even when they have long since stopped believing in themselves. I love that she is an advocate for healthy lifestyle living among children and teens. And THOSE ARMS!! Who wouldn't kill for those arms?!

All that being said, I don't hand out 5 star reviews just because I'm a fan of the author. Every book has to stand on its own, and Slim For Life has earned every bit of the 5 star reviews posted here. I devoured it in one day. (Less calories than pizza...)

Jillian Michaels wants you to succeed at your goals, whatever they might be. That means being completely honest about who,what,when,where,why,how? you got to where you are, wherever that might be. You may have 10 lbs to lose, you may have 100. But BE HONEST with yourself. It's the only way to accept what has been so that you can love and accept yourself to move on to what CAN be.

This book is nothing but honest and straight forward. And although there is nothing "new" or "groundbreaking" in Slim For Life, I still felt like FINALLY, someone is saying it! Someone is speaking with some common sense. Losing weight is possible for all of us. The basic science is calories in vs. calories out. But there is so much more behind the scenes, as we all know. She reminds us:

-No starvation diets! Eating is just as important in the weight loss process as exercise; it just has to be the right foods.
-Eat real food! If it doesn't come from the earth or was given birth to, it's not food. There's no such thing as a Cheeto Tree.
-Fuel your body to be able to move your body!
-Get that heart rate up!
-Don't be afraid of lifting weights! Lifting weights will not make you bulky. In fact, lifting weights will get you in the best shape of your life. (Look at Jillian's arms for proof!)
-Stop beating yourself up and rid yourself of all that emotional baggage that got you in this mess in the first place!
-Recognize the mistakes you've made dieting in the past and change them.
-All things in moderation, moderation, moderation! (Even suggesting 5 glasses of wine a week is fine if you're monitoring yourself and keeping the rest in check!)

She breaks down popular misconceptions/old wives tales of dieting, like whether or not our genetics make us fat, the lowdown on negative calorie foods, and the dreaded C word... Cellulite. She also has a section for dressing slim, which was completely unexpected, but spot on. She also notes her findings on the effects of soy on the body, which I think are very important, but too seldom discussed.

She helps detail the ins and outs of all of these things and -better yet- shows you how to FIX them once and for all. But what I love is that she does so without using any science jargon. It's easy to read and eye-opening much of the time, while giving just enough technical information to remain credible. She also CITES HER SOURCES! Which unfortunately seems to be a lost art these days, even in the medical community.

It's nice to read some common sense for a change. Too many doctors/nutritionists/diet books these days tell us we have to cut out carbs, cut out fruits, cut out anything that had eyes, eat only seeds and twigs... Personally, i already don't eat many of these things. But, for so many people, these lifestyles just aren't realistic. Everyone sets out with the best intentions, but such drastic dietary changes can so often lead to fatigue and frustration, and with our busy lives, that only seems to set us up for failure. This book offers real advice for real, everyday lives -changes that EVERYONE can make- that will lead to real, long lasting results. Jillian lays out the best foods (and most affordable healthy choices), while also highlighting the ones to avoid.

It's realistic.
It's helpful.
She "gets" it.

Jillian said she'd never write anther dieting book again, but luckily she changed her mind! You won't regret getting this book if you're looking to get serious about losing weight once and for all.
11 comment| 230 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 26, 2013
I love Jillian. I have her DVD's and am currently doing her Body revolution program. Thought I would give this a read to compliment all I am doing. First, if you are at all health conscious already, then this book won't help you a lot in that area. I went through it checking it off as they are things already in my routine. The main take-aways for me were:
1. focusing on doing less hour long constant intensity workouts at the gym and getting in a shorter, high intensity cardio and weight workouts instead
2. I really needed to track the calories I was eating. I have always resisted doing this but she is right. Not new info but she made it stick for me

The rest of the book is about knowing what you are putting in your body and focusing on a life change not just a weight change. So if you have been following Jillian for a while, this book really doesn't offer too much new info. She is very matter of fact as usual so don't look for a lot of fluff here.

Update: I took the time to look up the snacks and make up items that she lists in this book. Although, I agree we need to buy as much organic and clean items as possible, some of the items she mentions are not going to work for many of our budgets. Some of her protein bars are $3+ each, organic beef jerky is not cheap either. The make up products she mentions are pricey at $30+ for a foundation stick and $35+ for powder. So while I would love to try all of these items, real life does not allow it. You can find some deals on organic but you have to hunt and it all depends on which area of the country that you live in.
1414 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2013
I received this as a gift yesterday. It was pre-ordered just for me and I couldn't put it down. I am a huge Jillian Michaels fan, however, often times feel as though she "talks" way above my head. My lifestyle just does not allow me to count calories for everything I put in my mouth and complete scientific formulas, however, I am very serious about healthy eating and I work out almost everyday. In this book, Jillian includes a vast amount of information on various levels, from straightfoward to more complex. Yes, some formulas are included, but Jillian also keeps it simple for those with hechtic lifestyles that just need her to cut to the chase. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to stay "Slim for Life."
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
I did not think I would ever buy another weight loss book, not to mention expect to learn anything from one. The first couple pages had me interested enough to buy it. I have gained weight over the years as many of us have, however, I have lost 40 lbs as recently as 2 yrs ago - unfortunately, I did not have an easy time keeping off the weight, as I slowly abandoned my healthy habits and routines. I gained more than half of that weight back. Jillian does one thing in this book that many other books could not - tell you the gritty truth you do not want to hear.

She explains to you what you are (probably) doing wrong and how to fix it more like a close friend that has known you a long time, as opposed to some fitness expert you are paying to give you advice. This book is mostly tips and myth-busting facts. She has her own point system that you can choose to follow, but it is not like the point system that "big weight loss company" uses by any means - these are tips that are assigned a point value. There will be a hardcore tip, a medium difficulty tip and an easier tip. 3,2,1. If you follow all the 3's you're going to lose weight the fastest. If you want to take your time, make a combo of 2s and 1s and make the tips a part of your routine the best you can. This book is a quick read, including lots of easy tips you already know if you are in this dieting situation often ;), but many you haven't heard before.

The book is good for inspiration. I have found that while I do not plan to use her point system, I will definitely re-read the tips when I am feeling off track. I have done phenomenally well at staying on track in my choices since completing this book :)

PS: There is a fair share of medical research "mumbo-jumbo"... she usually will warn you when you're about to enter mumbo-jumbo land, but it was still irritating at times.
on June 9, 2013
I love Jillian and her DVD work outs...however, I'm not crazy about this book. Nothing revolutionary and nothing I didn't know before. Stick with her workout videos, move your body and eat sensibly....you'll be fine.
I know, I rarely review non fiction, but Jillian Michael's latest book Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss, is one I definitely wanted to read. I have struggled with my weight for many years - up and down, up and down. I've reached the point where I am making the commitment to yes, watch my weight, but more importantly to be healthy.

There are soooo many diet, weight loss and health books on the market today and it's really difficult to know who or what information you can trust. And, I guess that's why I wanted to read Michaels' book - because in my eyes, she is trustworthy, she has a proven track record and although I don't know her and will never meet her, I just, well, like her. So I wanted to hear what she had to say.

"Bottom line, over the last several years, I've come to recognize that the more simple and straightforward I can make the information, the easier it is for you to cut through all the crap, apply the advice, and get the results you want."

I've had this book for a few weeks now, but found it was easier to take a piece of information or an idea, try to apply it to my life and only then go back for more, rather than trying to do it all at once (and expecting results in seven days or less ;) ) And Michaels herself says you don't have to follow all the strategies - pick and choose what works for you. Each chapter ends with a checklist that you can use to decide what tips will work for you. It's also a great reminder.

The first chapter was a great refresher on the basics.

-Clean out the cupboards. If it's not there, you can't eat it.

-Write down what you eat - it's there in black and white. Of course I've heard of this, but have I ever followed through before? This time - yes - accountability is hard to ignore. (and you won't have to do it 'forever'.

-Don't eat chemicals "If it didn't come from the ground or the ocean of have a mother - don't eat it."

-Sit down to eat. (and many, many more!)

Chapter 2 - get moving! Again, short sweet and to the point. (And did you know that simply increasing the incline on your treadmill will result in a significant calorie burn without increasing your speed?) Chapter 3 - hitting the grocery store,additives, smart choices and more. I was surprised to find cleaning and personal care products discussed as well. Chapter 4 - parties, work, restaurants, travelling etc.

Chapter 5 - Now here's the chapter I spent the most time on - reading and re reading. Because this is where I fall down. Staying motivated. This was one of the best chapters of the book for me. The last few chapters deal with hints, tips and more ideas. Scattered throughout the book are 'slim myth boxes' that dispel notions such as 'lifting weights will make you bulky'. There's also EZ calorie cut boxes scattered throughout suggesting alternatives that will save you calories.

I'm glad I took time to read Slim for Life slowly and think about what changes I want to incorporate in my life. Slim for Life will be a resource that I refer back to for sure. I like the fact that Michaels does not dictate, instead she provides a wealth of suggestions for you to choose from and tailor to your life. Her no nonsense, straight shooter approach appeals to me. I would have liked to have seen some photos of the exercises she mentions though.

"I don't want this book to be a once-read, I want you to reread it and use it over and over as often as you need to for its information and or reassurance. With it you can keep the special combination that belongs only to you, one that cracks the code of how to get and stay slim for life."
on June 8, 2013
I usually like Jillian's stuff, but I found the format of this book uninteresting. Just item after item of good weight loss tips, but nothing concrete enough for me. Great tips, don't get me wrong, just hard for me to digest.
on July 20, 2014
Great tips written in an understandable fashion. I especially like how Jillian broke the topics down and rated them by their importance and effectiveness. The checklist at the end of each chapter is helpful for evaluating just where your at and where you want to head in your fitness journey. The only true negative is that it's hard to implement the checklist if you're reading the kindle version as I did.
on April 5, 2013
I'm on a diet regimen right now and looking for a lifestyle change to insure I keep the weight off. This book was exactly what I was looking for. It covers how to eat in practical terms (no one is ever going to live without taking a bite of a brownie once in awhile), exercise regimens with descriptions of how best to work on specific parts of your body and how to pick and choose, and recipes with tips on what to eat and what to avoid and why certain foods are good for you and some not. I learned a lot from reading this book. It's on my Kindle and I'm going to reread sections. Coupled with the 5/2 recipes and regimen, this is a manual everyone should have for sustained weight control.
on January 16, 2015
This books tells you everything you need to know to lose weight, get inspired and cut the crap from all those fad diets. She loves her customers and it shows in her presentation and with all the awesome info she gives.