5.0 out of 5 stars Great wall charger - love the USB ports!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:59 Mins
Here's a short video about the XTG Technology wall charger and surge protector. Great product, hope you guys enjoy!
Published on December 15, 2011 by Mat W.

3.0 out of 5 stars Improperly wired, but it can be modified
I purchased this item because it said in the description that it provides up to 2.1A to Android, and other devices. Unfortunately upon receiving two of this item in the mail I soon realized that this was not always the case.

Published on March 24, 2012 by Kelly E

3.0 out of 5 stars Improperly wired, but it can be modified, March 24, 2012
Kelly E (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slim Wall Plate and Surge Protector - 3 AC + 2 USB - Add Additional Outlets and USB Ports While Protecting Your Devices - USB Includes 2.1amp Output to Charge iPad, iPhone, E-readers, Android, SmartPhones, and More (Electronics)

Like many other products it does not properly short the middle D+ and D- pins as required by the usb charger spec for a device to receive more than .5A. Because of this some devices will only draw .5A instead of the advertised maximum of 2.1A. If you have an ohmmeter you can check your own USB chargers by testing the resistance between the middle two pins of the USB socket.

Unmodified, the XTG unit properly charged my iPad, and Samsung Galaxy S II. However, it would NOT properly charge my Samsung Galaxy S, or EVO 4G. After the modification all of my smartphones except those made by Apple charge effectively. Apple products view the post-mod XTG unit (and any other properly wired USB charger) as a low power .5A computer port.

The case was glued together at 6 points around the edges, so pulling it apart damaged it quite a bit aesthetically (and obviously voided the warranty). Once you have gotten it apart it is easy to locate the D+ and D- pins for both ports. They need to be carefully joined together with a small blob of solder.

After performing this mod I am happy with the results. It now charges ALL of my non-Apple devices at a higher current than .5A (as it was advertised to do out of the box).

I have uploaded a picture of the disassembled unit and the usb pins to solder as a reference for those who are courageous.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This modification is for non-Apple devices only. If you perform this modification, iOS devices will no longer recognize this as high current charger!

UPDATE 3/31/2012 - By executing "cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/charging_source" on the At&t Galaxy Note I was able to determine the following:

This XTG charger when unmodified only provides 485mA of current to the Note.
This XTG charger when modified as in my picture provides 997mA of current to the Note.

The stock/OEM Samsung charger that comes with the Note reports 996mA with the above command.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wall charger - love the USB ports!, December 15, 2011
Length:: 0:59 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, June 18, 2012
Before I bought this, I read many of the reviews here on Amazon. Just like you're doing. Here's what I read the reviews to find out:

* It does charge my iPad
* It does fit most outlets

Lo and behold, both of these are true. Long live good reviewers!

As to some other things I saw in the reviews I read before buying this:

* Yes, it has a very bright green light. I would not use it in a bedroom. It does great double-duty as a nightlight in my living room, however.
* Yes, it buzzes faintly. I would not use it in a recording studio.

I'm pretty happy with this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly works, bad green light, humming when iPad 3 plugged in, April 17, 2012
Early Adopter (Riverton, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this wall outlet adapter so that I wouldn't need to have the little USB brick converters and could plug my iPhone and iPad 3 in at my bedside every night. It technically works, even charging the iPad 3, but there are two things that are driving me crazy. The green light at the top of the plate lights up my bedroom at night like a night light. No way to turn it off. Tape over the top helps, but should would be nice to just have a switch to turn it off. Second, when I plug the iPad 3 in to the USB port directly, there is a small buzzing sound. It wasn't very noticeable at first, but as the room got quiet at night and we were getting off to sleep, it was very noticeable. I have had to put the brick adapter on one of the traditional power ports to charge the iPad because I can't deal with the hum.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing product, November 14, 2012
This product will not charge a Google Nexus 7 tablet as there seems to be a voltage/wiring mismatch that I've read about but don't understand. It also takes forever to charge my Galaxy Nexus phone. I bought 2 of these and get the same results with both. The combination of A/C outlets and USB power seemed ideal but the design just isn't well thought out. Good idea ... bad execution.

> Does a poor job of charging my devices as I just said.
> The A/C outlets are so close together that I can never use more than two plugs at once.
> There is a very bright LCD panel at the top that is pointless unless you need a bright nightlight.
> I recommend you not buy this device for anything but Apple products and understand the other issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, December 7, 2011
I needed another wall charger for my new plasma and I decided to try this one out because of the added USB charging ports. The surge protector feature is a must, but the USB was a nice addition. So far so good, I have a lamp, my TV, and my iPad charging cable hooked into this thing and everything works great

1.0 out of 5 stars USB Ports Defective, August 13, 2012
I ordered two of these plates. They looked fairly sleek, compared to a number of uglier products. Alas, it appears that XTG cannot manage to make the core function of a USB wall plate work. The USB ports of the first device would not deliver any power at all to any devices I tried plugging into it. The second device was marginally better. It's USB ports could deliver power to one of my phones, but not my boyfriend's phone. It did not deliver power to either of our Nexus 7 tablets. Luckily Amazon makes returns super easy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not charge Ipad2 or Nexus 7, September 3, 2012
I bought this to charge my Phone and daughters Ipad2. Well no luck. It charges the phone and that is it. I have tried all the cables i have to make sure it was not a cable out of spec.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. Order it., March 15, 2012
Works well. Puts out the 2.1 Amps to charge an Ipad on both USB outlets. There is a green light along the top that might bother you in a bedroom. Works well as a night light in my kitchen. I am planning on getting another one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 8, 2012
This wall "plate" covers a typical 2-outlet wall fixture and provides 3 AC outlets and 2 USB charging ports. It works great and looks nice. Fairly thin, so it's not obtrusive. 3 minor gripes: 1. The green light on top can't be switched off. 2. There is a screw hole for fastening it to an old-style wall outlet, but no way to fasten it to the modern rectangular outlet faces; you have to hold the unit to unplug something or you'll pull it out of the wall outlet. 3. Very slight hum, only noticeable when there is no other sound in the room.

But all of these issues don't take away from the fact that this device works great and looks great.