Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon February 1, 2013
This app was not cheap as apps go ($14.99) and what really burns me is the lack of information about it's incompatibility with Dish Networks. I had a whole-home Dish install with Hopper and Joeys -- it comes with a slingbox. Works great on my iPhone -- and that app is FREE. So now I am stuck with a useless app. I called Sling Media -- the makers of Slingbox. They do not support it. I called Dish, they said "Go download it from the Google Android store!" NEGATIVE. Kindles are not supported there. LARGE FAIL for Dish in its lack of information on this app. Then after a long pause the agent said they do not support Kindle Fire. Nice work, Dish. Why not explain that on your website? And Sling, same for you! Just explain and us Kindle owners will understand - do not trick us into wasting $15 like you are currently doing.

Looks like I cannot get a refund so that's $14.99 down the drain. But it will be worth it if I can help another Kindle customer from the same fate.
1515 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2012
It works now, but i just can't forgive a Quality Assurance department that did not even try to launch the App outside of the dev environment!

It is a crime that this app is on the Kindle market for tablets then alerts you (after you buy it) that it will NOT run on your Kindle Fire tablet that is just so crazy. No ability for a refund shame on Slingbox.
1414 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2012
When I queried "DISH Network" in the Amazon app store, this came up. Was not aware it would not work with the Sling Player Adapter from DISH. Had I know that, I would not have purchased. Strange thing is I have the actual free DISH app on our phones and it works great. Not sure why Amazon doesn't make it available for the "Fire" since they both use Android software. Oh well, lesson learned...thank goodness it was only $32.
1313 comments|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2012
Before I discuss the application I want to comment on several of the other reviews. Some people complained that they were not warned that they needed a Solo or HD Slingbox, and that their Classic unit would not be compatible with this application. When I ordered my application, there was a mention of this requirement at several places in the application description. That said, I have both a solo in my own home, and a classic unit at my daughter's home in Massachusetts. I also have an IPad, and I have paid for Slingplayer on that device. The IPad (contrary to another person's comment) also does not work on the Classic Slingbox. One more comment regarding the Slingbox. For those of you who are new to Sling Media, you can only have one remote device viewing a Slingbox. If you have the Solo version of the Slingbox, whenever you change the channel on the DVR, you also change the channel for the home viewer. If this is problematic, you may want to consider the HD model, solely for the ability to connect directly to the cable system, while bypassing the cable box or DVR.

The application itself was simple to set up and I was connected to my Sling account within minutes of purchasing this application. I did immediately try to see if the Kindle could connect to my Classic Slingbox, and was quickly informed that the connection could not be made. The connection to my Solo unit was prompt, and painless. The menus are virtually identical to the IPad menus. Since I have been using the IPad for months, I felt very comfortable with the Kindle application. Because of the smaller screen on the Kindle, I did have to set the aspect ratio and zoom to create a letterbox effect. The play was fluid and high quality. The on screen volume control of the Kindle is a plus over the IPad. In all the application does exactly what is claimed.

I am happy that I acquired this application. It complements my two Slingboxes and the Slingcatcher I have installed on my big screen TV
66 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 13, 2012
This app comes up when you search Amazon for DISH applications. You would think that it would work with DISH but it is completely incompatible with DISH. This app does not support the Sling Adapter that DISH exclusively uses. So the Sling Adapter does not work with the SlingPlayer even though the same company "Sling Media" makes both products. I'm pretty sure Amazon has sold this application to thousands of people that can't use it based on their search engine misguidance. Please fix this Mr. Amazon and quit cheating people out of their hard earned money. Personally I'm going to toss my DISH Sling Adapter in the trash after I shoot it a couple of times - I bought the sling adapter a year ago so that I could watch DISH on my Kindle Fire - so much for that idea!. DISH is not up to it, the Kindle Fire is not up to it and Sling Media is in the ditch.
on November 21, 2012
I was excited this morning because for the first time the Amazon App Store was showing the Slingplayer was supported on the Kindle Fire HD. I was even more excited when I didn't have to pay for another copy (already had bought it for my Kindle Fire) ... I downloaded it but when I tried to open it, got a message that it is not supported. I called SlingBox support and got nowhere.
on March 1, 2012
MAKE SURE IT WORKS WITH YOUR SLINGBOX. oBVIOUSLY DOES NOT WORK WITH THEM ALL.aLWAYS CHECK BEFORE YOU BUY, NOT AFTER
on March 14, 2012
I have 4 different Slingboxes ranging from the original to the Solo and I have this App on my iPhone and my Android phone. The app works fine on the iPhone and my Android phone. So I purchased it for my new Kindle Fire only to find out it will not work on the Fire. It says the Slingboxes I have need to be upgraded because the app does not support my older devices. One, in the purchase process it should have been note that it only works with specific devices, two if it works on my Android phone why doesn't it work on the Fire. What a rip off, don't buy this app.
on January 9, 2013
I was thrilled to learn that I could purchase a Sling Player which would work with my Kindle Fire and more importantly because I have the sling device for my Dish Tv which should allow me to watch Tv on my Kindle Fire but Dish does not support this product. I can watch tv on my computer and android cell phone but not the Kindle Fire. The Kindle folks should work something out with Dish Network.
on March 22, 2013
First- I am kind of pissed off that they sell you a $300 box with the advertising that you can watch it on your android tablet, ipad, android phone or iphone, but do not tell you that you have to shell out $15 for EACH platform, to use with one box. Now remember- you can only connect one device at a time, so please explain why I have to pay separately for each??? I have purchased the app for all my other devices (android phone, ipad, and iphone) and just bought the Kindle Fire edition. They all work fine with my 2 1/2 year old Slingbox, except the Kindle Edition. Why? I don't know. I would suggest that unless you have one of the newest boxes, you don't spend your money on this, and even then, think twice about supporting a company that makes you repurchase the same software over and over!