5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, with 2 HD caveats
Having been a prior user of the SlingBox Pro, I was already familiar with the SlingBox software and hardware setup. Receiving the ProHD it was quite easy to perform the setup and installation required to be "slinging" my TV all over the world (and around my home).

Despite having setup one of the the original devices before, I attempted to walk through the...
Published on October 21, 2008 by Stephen Lerch

2.0 out of 5 stars Failed after 100 days; More $ to get support
I wanted to review this product's feature set and its ease of setup or its compatibility or some other attributes. However, I could not: mine failed after only 100 days of ownership. And I couldn't initially get it fixed by Sling because they told me they only support it for 90 days. I guess I'm old-fashioned in that I expect products to last more than three months before...
Published on October 12, 2009 by J. K. Tappe

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Customer Service Ever!!!, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100 (Old Version) (Personal Computers)
I own a slingbox pro (which i've never been able to get to work due to the need for wireless connection) and recently purchased the wireless components to use my electric plugs in lieu of a router near the TV. The need for the wireless connection is a serious flaw in their system and market expectation. The agents insisted on seeing a proof of purchase and was unwilling to help me without that or a commitment to pay $30 for help. Also, the $30 help fee didn't guarantee me a solution. In other words, they said they'd try but if they couldn't solve the problem on that call, i'd have to pay again. This is the WORST service i've received on any consumer electronics product. Absent an alternative resolution, i intend to share vigorously my frustration and a warning to avoid the products. Allan

2.0 out of 5 stars Mac users - Beware!!, July 8, 2009
Although its a PRO-HD product but NOT for Mac users.If you are a Mac user, it does not do what it is supposed to do. You will get only "Standard Def" picture qualiy and not HIGH DEFINITION picture. That to me is pure cheating. Nowhere on the product info it says anything to this effect. I am returning mine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slingbox, September 10, 2009
Henry R. Skillern (Houston and Acapulco) - See all my reviews
I am sure that these products---SlingBox, SlingCatcher and SlingLink---are going to be solid hits in the future. My problem with them is that they are incompatible with my present AV equipt. I have Comcast HD DVR and could never get them to comm with each other fully. I got the sound and not much else. Additionally, the ROKU box that plays Instant NETFLIX movies is not supported by Slingbox. I tried many hours, going step by step and reading the various Forums on the 'net but finally gave up. It wasn't for me and therefore, I can't really recommend it for now. I would suggest that there are some folks who have found that the setup works for them but I would caution the new buyers to visit the SlingBox forums for support information on their particular AV equipt. prior to purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Placeshifting with the Slingbox Pro-HD, January 17, 2011
A full review (with photos) is posted here: [...]

Placeshifting technology is very useful. Placeshifting allows us to be in one location while experiencing another location. Or in the case of real technology we can use, placeshifting allows us to watch video which runs live in one location, in our current location. This is different from Utube and other video services because these are not recordings but rather live video content feeds from a satellite or cable service.

Slingbox Pro-HD

There are several placeshifting devices out there but I'm only going to talk about one. Sling Media.

Sling Media started out about five years ago with a simple device that allowed someone to placeshift a small resolution video signal from their home cable/satellite service and stream it over the internet to their handheld mobile phone, Blackberry, Palm, or other mobile device. Think about it, you could be sitting on the train or in the waiting room of your doctor's office watching your favorite live football game on your personal mobile phone or internet enabled device. How cool is that?

Living in Thailand as an expatriate I immediately saw other uses. With a serious dearth of quality English speaking programming I knew I'd appreciate having access to the cable channels from my home country. I looked on their site for the most appropriate device, placed my order, and had it shipped to my sons home in Illinois. The device I felt most appropriate for current and future use was the Sling HD-Pro.

The Sling Pro-HD can stream from very low resolution formats suitable for mobile phones, to full HDTV programming. More, it can stream data from a TiVo or other DVR device. It was ideal.

Setting it Up

Two days later it arrives at my son's house and he rings me up wanting to know what I'd sent. Not knowing how much work would be involved I remember telling him something like this "it's just some box so I can watch your cable, it should only take you five minutes to install." I hear a "sure Dad" and five minutes later he calls back up and tells me it's ready to go! I asked him exactly what was involved.

He unpacked it from the box, plugged it into a wall outlet, and then connected a cable from the Sling Pro-HD to the cable outlet on his wall, and a network cable to his router. He then ran a setup disk that sets a couple ports in his router and that was it. He reads the instructions a bit more and says if I want it connected to his TIVO or other DVR it would require hooking up another cable.

I asked him how big it was and if it took much room around his television. He said it was very small and he didn't put it near his television. He put it in the same room where he has his ADSL modem and wireless router. It pulls about 5w.

On my end in Bangkok I went to the Sling Media site and downloaded the "Sling Player" software and installed it. It didn't take long. I was required to set up a free account and enter some information like my Sling Box ID number, name, email address, and a password. I started the program and a few minutes later was watching a channel from his cable service!

How Does it Work?

Its not as complicated as you might think. The Sling Pro-HD has a built in tuner. The cable that connects it to the host cable system is a cheap cable like the type that connects the cable systems modem to the TV. A single BNC to BNC cable.

It's important to note that installing this device in no way interferes with the host's use of their cable or watching their cable on their television. It's akin to having different televisions in different rooms, each television having its own cable tuner box, in this case the Sling Pro-HD becomes the cable tuner box. This works great for basic cable services. Basic cable services are always available even when the main television at the hosts end is using a digital conversion box for HDTV, surround sound, and additional channels. And if you like you can connect the Sling Pro-HD through an additional digital conversion box, but I figured with the bandwidth (internet speeds) available on my end it would all be for nothing

Once the router is setup the device becomes accessible from outside the home network. You (or anyone with the codes and password) can then access the device and watch the cable channels from anywhere in the world via the internet.

You can download "Slingplayer" for use on a computer, "Slingplayer Mobile" for use on a mobile device, or make use of their new Slingcatcher application.

The reason you set up the account with Sling Media is so when connecting remotely (from outside the home network) you'd have a place to go to find your Sling Pro-HD. Almost all home internet accounts have dynamic IP addresses which means the address changes often. This means you'll need a common meeting point on the internet to learn the devices most current IP address and "hook up." As the home network dynamic IP changes the Sling Pro-HD continuously updates your account with the new address, and from your remote device (mobile phone, laptop, etc) you access this account. The accounts are hosted on a Sling Media site.

Useful Features

Sling Media is always introducing new and useful features. As an early adopter I've been able to watch Slingplayer grow from a basic interface, to the attractive full featured interface of the most current Version 2.0.

One of the most useful features is the built in programming guide. When you set up your account it asks you for your zip code and cable provider, and using this information it then provides a TV guide service. Very nice, especially when you remember you're using this product away from your home and often when on the run.

The main unit comes with a remote control for use in the hosts home. And then it provides an electronic remote control you can click on with your mouse cursor. You can also set up the panels to be there when you 'mouse over' and then disappear when you're done.

Sometimes you'll find a hotel or other network blocks video streaming from the Slingplayer and other such devices. Now Sling Media allows you to go to your personal account in a web browser and watch your programming. If you can access the internet through your browser, you'll be able to access your programming through your browser.

Personal Application?

I use the Sling Pro-HD for several uses. As a programming source in my home here in Bangkok, and as a programming source when I'm traveling and my hotel room provides a suitable internet connection.

3g is starting to go mainstream in different areas of Thailand and 'unlimited' data packages are already available. So it's entirely possible to view your Sling on your mobile device.

Where I live only 1mbps connections are possible. During the best times of the day (when the net is at its peak speeds) I can get very nice standard definition streams. I estimate you'd want 2-3mpbs to achieve the HDTV resolution streams.

Keep in mind that with my setup I'm 12 hours out of sync with the programming source. This means I'm sleeping during prime time. Because of this I usually limit my Sling watching to 24 hour news channels, a few car shows, and the occasional old favorite show from long ago playing on late night television in the states. Still, I find access to my local news invaluable.

For my main viewing, such as televisions series and movies, I get great quality programming in SD or HD through torrents.

Summary

For the relatively low cost of the Sling box I find it a bargain. Some of the older models are still available for under $100. There is no monthly fee other than for the cable bill at your host location. Essentially once you buy the device it's a free service.

For 3 years now I've had access to the news channels I'm interested in watching, car and craft shows from back home, and delight in the occasional old show from years past. It's a unique experience to sit here in a late night Bangkok evening watching Bonanza on the television!

The system is absolutely reliable. In three years there have been only 2-3 times I've had to call my son and ask him to reset the device, and two of those times there were firmware upgrades that needed to be downloaded which was the problem. The local internet is 1000x less reliable than the device itself.

You can watch the browser feed at work, watch TV on your laptop while traveling and staying at hotels, or hook up the main feed to your big HDTV at home. There are some very slick and easy ways to get the video from your computer to your television, if enough people are interested I'll do a follow-up piece and cover this area as well.

The Slingbox is a must have addition to the expatriates entertainment/medial center. It's cheap, it's easy, and it's a lot of fun. Watch for the sales, these can be marked down quite a bit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, December 1, 2008
PROS:
+ Handles HD-content well, especially 1080i
+ Setup is simple and intuitive. I have two routers with a DMZ, and after a little tweaking, was able to get it configured quite easily
+ Continual software/firmware updates from SlingMedia mean that it's clearly a product that's going to be updated in the coming months/years
+ For the price, excellent
+ On-screen controls are easy to use, and Guide works

CONS
- No HDMI support
- Multiple devices of the same type hooked to different inputs cannot be separated with IR (meaning the IR signal is sent to all IR endpoints, which can cause some problems)
- Watching on Mobile phone isn't optimum, but it is great. Wish they would full screen and do better QoS
- Control mode is choppy

OVERALL
- Would buy it again in a heartbeat. While it definitely has room for improvement, I'm hoping those issues are remedied from a software standpoint and offered as free upgrades.

4.0 out of 5 stars works but a few issues, October 26, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I originally bought the slingbox pro last year and have just tried the Hava Platinum HD, so here are my impressions. Setup for the Slingbox Pro-HD is easy. You download the software from their website, install it and it guides you through the process of finding the pro-hd on your network and setting up your devices. BTW - hookup was very easy and straight forward. I connected the slingbox hd to my cable, my router and the power cord. Went to my laptop and took it from there.

In my scenario there are a couple of things to note. I live in NYC and have digital cable with HD. Now, I have to use my cable box to be able to see HD channels. By bypassing the cable box and directly connecting my cable line into the slingbox HD, I can either see all of my regular cable stations (up to channel 99) OR I can see whatever HD channels are free (or over-the-air) in NYC. You can't do both at the same time (at this time, according to their website - that will require a firmware update that is 'high' on their list - I have some history with waiting for them to 'develop' something . . I'll come back to that later).

I set up the slingbox pro HD to look for qualcom HD channels one my cable line and let it do it's thing. It found about 20 HD stations, the best being NBC, CBS, ABC, WB, UPN, PBS, PBSkids. The others are either home-shopping type sites or sports-versions of the big networks. The picture is really great - super clear and with no artifacts - great HD experience at a smaller size. This is VASTLY improved from the regular slingbox pro that I had last year - the picture on that was terrible - fuzzy, grainy - granted it was SD video, but I absolutely hated it.

I then set up the slingbox to look for the regular cable channels. I had to delete the HD setup and have it look up the SD channels. It picked up the channels up to 99. These looked OK and were still better than my memory of the regular slingbox pro. I had one issue in where the picture cut out and had 'low' signal strength. I searched through the forums at slingmedia and apparently this is common to other users and there's no quick fix that anyone has posted.

So, I switched it back to HD.

There is a program guide that looks like every other program guide out there. Nice feature, but only works for the cable channels, at least for me. The HD channels have show up as channel 1.1, 1.3 and so forth - and there is no program guide for those. A bit annoying because I had to figure out what each channel is. This would be OK, but there is considerable lag to changing the channel. You can select a 'quick mode' that basically lowers the quality of your picture while you change channels. It does make it faster, but still not as responsive as changing the channel on your TV. It's probably inherent in the technology.

Pros - easy setup, easy connection, picture looks great. Channel guide if you use regular cable channels

Cons - you can't have both SD and HD channels with a direct cable hookup - you have to go through your cable box, which means you have to set up the IR remote (I didn't do this, but I assume it works as I haven't seen anyone complain out it).

I didn't hook anything else up because it's doubtful that I'd want to stream DVD's or my camcorder's video to a laptop or PC - I would do that directly and have much more control.

Now, one of the reasons I bought the original slingbox pro was because they had advertised that they were working with Microsoft to connect it to Vista so that you could record TV to your computer, thus making it a DVR. That never happened and eventually both MS and Sling media removed those references from their websites. I found that really frustrating because I waited a long time for that. It tought me a lesson to buy technology for what it will do TODAY and not some promised future. All that to say, who knows if they will ever update the firmware to show both SD and HD channels at the same time?

Another thing - when I had the original slingbox pro, I didn't much enjoy watching my home TV remotely when I was traveling or on my phone. It was too jerky and I was worried about maxing out my home/phone bandwidth and data plans, so it was not fun for me. Plus, it killed my battery on my phone too quickly. You may have different needs, likes and dislikes, so take that into account when reading this review. It's unlikely I'll 'sling' my TV, so I'm not reviewing that, but keep in mind that it's the biggest selling point of the slingbox HD and you may really want that.

Overall, the slingbox pro HD does what it is advertised to do - nothing more, nothing less, and what it does it does with good quality.

1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting product-- do not buy it. UPDATED, March 2, 2012
The concept is amazing-- watch your home cable box or television on any device anywhere that is connected to a decent internet feed.

A shame that the product is poorly made, unreliable and not supported by the manufacturer.

I received it, configured it, used it for about a week until it died. The rest of the story has been one of pointless frustration.

This is a situation where some other qualified and customer oriented company could really clean up. Or license the technology to cable box manufacturers so that it can be built into existing cable boxes.

Instead, you have the frustration of a call center in Costa Rica refusing to provide a replacement box on a product which is less than 30 days old! WHy? Because they want to send me a new wall charger first to "see" if that is the problem. Never mind that I was able to test the charger and confirm that it was producing the correct voltage.

A week and a half later, I receive the new wall charger (rattling unpacked in a small cardboard box) and we determine (as we already knew) that it is the slingbox that is defective.

So, slingbox's customer service next step is to run through a series of diagnostic tests on the sling box which (as you know) is not working. Imagine my frustration as I talk to their helpless folks down in south america as they run through their script of "tests" on a dead box.

Anyway, if you want to see this box in action, as other reviewers have noted, you may get a week or two out of it. Be sure that you buy from Amazon or some other outfit that will take back the bricked slingbox when it dies.

A shame....

March 16th, 2014: Update. I was able to get a replacement slingbox Pro HD after many phone calls. I installed the box and it worked fine for a year. The 'new' box has bricked again. Customer service wants 29.95 to talk to me with no guarantee of success-- or they will sell you a new model with a $30 discount. These folks ought to be in jail-- they are selling a defective product and do not have the integrity to improve it or stand behind it. DO NOT BUY!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sling Media has become arrogant, June 3, 2010
I have both a Sling Pro-HD and also a Sling Solo. Both worked reasonably well for the last few years (a few glitches here and there). I use all operating systems, and have viewed using the SlingPlayer on Windows, Mac, Blackberry, and iPhone. Unfortunately Linux is not supported.

Video quality is good on Windows. On the Mac, the player does not support HD (why?) and has not been updated for ages.

The big issue with Sling Media is that after 90 days, they no longer provide support. This would be a poor policy for any electronic device, but with a device that gets regular firmware updates over the Internet, in addition to Player updates, it is unconscionable.

Sling updated the firmware on my HD last week. After a year of error-free use, the video now freezes every 2 or 3 minutes using the Mac player, and the [...] online player has distorted video; it's completely unusable. I called Sling, not asking specifically for support, but just to be able to roll back to the previous version of firmware. Their response:

* They do not support a rollback
* I must pay $30 for support to investigate the issue (other users have posted similar problems on their "forum", presumably, all must pay).

What a great business plan; release buggy software and then charge 1000s of users to help you to debug it.

In addition, they recently disconnected their user forum and switched to a moderation "discussion" format. Any criticism of Sling and their policies is removed.

Enter into a relationship with this company at your own risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars High-quality streaming, but with some network issues and limitations (4+ stars), December 17, 2008
The Slingbox HD promises to take your HD and standard video content and "sling" it to computers throughout your house on your home network or anywhere else via the internet. You control your device using a remote skin that looks exactly like, or close to, the real thing. The idea and the technology are awesome, but it has some limitations that may dissuade some buyers.

First, the Slingbox does not have wireless capability. If you have your router and your media devices, including a cable connection, in the same room, and if you have an ethernet port available on your router, you're golden. Set up is a breeze, although you will have to download software from the SlingMedia site. If, however, you have a wireless home network and must set up the SlingBox in a different room, you are going to need additional equipment. Forget the company's SlingLink (Slinglink Turbo 1PORT Enet Connection Bridge (SL 150-100)) which supposedly makes the SlingBox wireless; it works well ONLY on the same circuit. For most people, this means that the router and television must be located in close proximity. Instead, I set mine up with a network bridge (Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter) that makes the Slingbox work flawlessly. I get high quality streamed video on both Macs and PCs, both at home and away. However, this took me hours on the phone with SlingMedia to figure out.

The device has several connectors: coaxial (for cable), standard, USB, and HD. Some people may find the HD claim misleading, since it can stream HD 1080i, not 1080p, and the 1080p devices must be changed to a 1080i output. The dimensions are roughly 13" L x 4.5" D x 3.5 " H. The box is surprisingly lightweight and can sit easily on top of a DVD player or other piece of electronic equipment.

Before you buy, you should consider how you are going to use the Slingbox and where you are going to install it. Because the skin remote overrides what is currently being viewed, a remote user can change the channel on those watching at home. You cannot use it to watch different video content. (When testing this, I changed the channel on my sister during a crucial football play; you can imagine the cursing.) If you are buying this to allow someone in a different country to view US television, attach it to a rarely or never used cable outlet. Also, because the Slingbox allows only one computer at a time to view video, you may need to buy more than one Slingbox for multiple users, with each assigned his own.

As long as buyers don't expect a complex media center that slings different media to different parts of the house or the world at the same time, they should be thrilled with the quality of the device.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware!!!, May 14, 2013
If you are considering buying a Slingbox PLEASE do your research before you buy!! Sling Media (the company that manufactures/sells Slingbox hardware) has a habit of sending out what they call "firmware updates", basically new software, 1-6 months after the warranty expires. After these updates a large number of Slingbox owners have found their units cease to work. Upon calling for support Slingbox owners/users are told they must pay $29.95 for technical support. Sling Media explicitly states that while the technical support may or may not fix the problem, the fee is NON refundable regardless of the outcome.

Additionally, Sling Media says in their own Software License Agreement that software downloads are warranted for 90 days, however when owners have asked Sling Media to honor this policy, Sling Media refuses.

While I cannot be proven that Sling Media intentionally send out faulty software (perhaps someone with more experience reading/writing computer code could), it cannot be denied that Sling Media does have motive to send firmware updates that cause out of warranty units to stop performing correctly. 1) Anyone who owns an out of warranty slingbox is a potential revenue stream for Sling Media. 2) Sling media controls the frequency of software updates, and in theory could release another flawed "update" as often as they want and generate additional troubleshooting fees. 3) Multiple users have reported their slingbox units worked up until the release of a software update, lending credibility to the idea that the updates are causing Slingbox units to stop working.

For more information check out #slingboxscam, https://twitter.com/SlingBoxScam and https://plus.google.com/u/0/111657984304616331357/posts

‹ Previous | 1 2 354 | Next ›

Sling Media Slingbox PRO-HD SB300-100 (Old Version)
$298.00 $99.99