Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Andra Day $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Question about Slingbox Pro HD Tuner??? Can I watch my full compliment of digital cable channels on my PC without disturbing someone watching a different channel on the HDTV? I currently have my coaxial wall cable connected to a digital HD cable box connected to my HDTV.
[UPDATED] asked by R W on June 6, 2009
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 answers
A
If you have more than basic digital cable, you won't get "full compliment of channels" via the Slingbox Pro HD's integrated tuner.

Splitting the coaxial coming from your wall into two streams-- one to your cable box and one to your Singbox would allow you to access at least some of your channels without disturbing the person viewing the television. Using your cable box as a second input would allow you to default to the internal tuner and use the box for your premium channels.

Or you could do the same pre-cable box split and add a second cable box that is dedicated to the Slingbox. I think some cable companies offer a discounted rate on the rental of a second box.

If money is no object, I'd connect a TiVo to the Slingbox and presumably be able to access all your cable as well as NetFlix/Amazon on-demand and Rhapsody music streaming on a mobile device. (If you're just using a laptop, this point is moot since you can access those things via the internet anyway).
RK answered on June 12, 2009
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
In short, yes it does have a tuner. The number of channels it will be able to receive would be the same as if you plugged a TV into Cable without using a cable box - depending on your cable provider, this could be most channels, a few, or none at all.
Justin Walker answered on June 12, 2009
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Yes, but you would also need a slingcatcher to watch without a PC at the other location (another $100). I personally wouldn't purchase a slingbox again myself as their customer support is utterly terrible. Unmatched from my experience among almost all other electronics manufacturers. Sling charges you $30 just to speak to an agent, $150 for repairs to a HD device even if their own firmware install mucks it up.
Z. Wolfe answered on November 30, 2009
Comment | 5 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I need some info. If I get the Slingbox PRO-HD, can I get the TV programming on a TV set at one location and then watch it on a TV set (not a computer) at another location in a different city. If so, will I need other equipment at either location? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Phillip Kirk answered on November 30, 2009
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
can I connect 3 Directv receiver to de slingbox and be able to watch 3 differents chanels at the same time
J. ALVARADO answered on November 8, 2010
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Can I connect the slingbox to my winter home TV and make use of my DirecTV programming?
Lenore Gessner answered on November 19, 2010

A
can a slingbox pro transmit antenna signals as one of its signals. thinking about a truck driving career and want to keep up on local stuff without subscribing to cable
R. Garman answered on July 25, 2011

A
I am considering buying sling box. My home dvr recorder has limited storage space to record programs. How do I add additional storage space.
jamesgoode answered on March 9, 2012

A
Agreed. We have 2 dead slingboxes, currently, one Pro and one Pro HD.. I can't even find a link to Slingboxes repair service at all. Looking into the monsoon Lava as a replacment.
Amazon Customer answered on March 21, 2012

A
If not Slingbox then what? Thanks
John SchŽar answered on July 19, 2012
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›

See all questions about this product