5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Surround Sound and Stereo Mix Remaster!
Published on September 20, 2005 by Jason W. Bellenger

3.0 out of 5 stars Playing a 12-string, singing about a 6-string. Pooptastic.
"You Give Love a Bad Name" is ostensibly the anthemic tale of a succubus in angels' garb taking advantage of a mullet clad bohunk. "Livin' on a Prayer" instantly seduces with its opening riff. (What instrument is that?!) Presumably our two main characters' narrative continues here in an unlikely New Jersey love story. In "Wanted Dead or Alive" Mr. Bon Jovi ditches the...
Published on May 19, 2009 by Dan Dreifort

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Surround Sound and Stereo Mix Remaster!, September 20, 2005
Jason W. Bellenger (Byron Center, Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
Now this is how a DualDisc is done!!! Mercury Records has done a wonderful job with this classic 1986 album. Not only do we get a new August 2005 stereo remaster by George Marino at Sterling Sound, New York, but we also get an excellent 5.1 surround sound mix by Jeff Fura-- which restores some tracks to longer mixes, including "Livin' On A Prayer" and "Raise Your Hands". The real treat here is the new surround sound mix of "Never Say Goodbye", complete with a new introduction! It sounds awesome! The album has never sounded better!

If that wasn't enough, Mercury have generously included the 5 music videos pulled from the album: You Give Love A Bad Name, Livin' On A Prayer, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Never Say Goodbye, and Wild In The Streets -- all directed by Wayne Isham.

The package also includes lyrics, a biography, and photos. The surround sound mix is available on both DVD-Audio players and standard DVD players.

Hopefully we will see DualDisc versions of more Bon Jovi albums to follow shortly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life...seriously, May 9, 2007
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
Everyone has that one album that they can credit with changing the way they listened to music. Some are fortunate enough to have experienced this great awakening to Are You Experienced or The Doors. For others it was London Calling, Ramones, or even Black Sabbath. For me it was Slippery When Wet. That's right, Bon Jovi changed my life. I realize on some level that I should probably be embarrassed about that little fact, but the truth is I love this album every bit as much now as I did two decades ago.

I still remember like it was yesterday. I was 11 at the time, and didn't really care about music one way or another. I did however think that Transformers were quite awesome, but I digress. I was flipping channels and came across the video for Livin' on a Prayer. I wish I could accurately describe the impact that silly, you and me against the world love song had on me. It was like all of the tumblers of a combination lock sliding into place inside my head. I knew I had to hear more, but that wasn't going to be easy. My mama didn't dance and my daddy didn't rock & roll, so to speak, so I had to track down the cassette through a friend. If Livin' on a Prayer grabbed my interest, You Give Love a Bad Name and Wanted Dead or Alive sealed the deal. After that I moved on to Poison, Europe, Stryper, and dozens of other hairspray laden bands that I naively thought of as "metal", but Bon Jovi was the first.

I sometimes wonder if I would have reacted the same way to any other album. Somehow I doubt it. Bon Jovi was at the top of their game with this album. You could argue that their follow-up album New Jersey is the band's best, but I'll put the songs on Slippery When Wet up against that Bad Medicine stuff any day! With Slippery When Wet, Bon Jovi built on the sound they developed with their two previous efforts and added hitmakers like Desmond Child to take the songwriting to a whole new level. I can hear you snickering at the thought of You Give Love a Bad Name and Never Say Goodbye as examples of quality songwriting, but it's hard to argue with the results. I believe that the lessons Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora learned while recording this album are a big reason why they are still big stars to this day, when so many of their peers have been relegated to the bar & grill circuit.

Slippery When Wet was the perfect fusion of Bruce Springsteen's American rock & roll, Van Halen's party rock image, and an impeccable pop sensibility. It didn't hurt that Jon and the boys were easy on the eyes and could represent the new face of "metal" in a totally unthreatening way. I can't help but wonder how many other kids made their way to Iron Maiden and Metallica by first discovering a band like Bon Jovi.

Say what you will about this era or this style of music. I firmly believe that Slippery When Wet is a great example of rock & roll in the 80's, and it will always have a special place in my heart.

NOTE: Slippery When Wet was reissued in 1998 with digitally remastered sound. Serious collectors may also want to check out the import version with the original cover art that the band nixed, not because of the racy image, but because of the pink border. Go figure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life...seriously, May 9, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Just don't call it 'Hair Metal'..., May 4, 2000
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
.. because as Bon Jovi would prove in the 90's, they were much more than the run-of-the-mill hair metal bands that plauged the late 80's. Slippery When Wet, possibly their most accomplished album, illustrates the spirit of everything that was good about 80's rock, without the things that were bad. Bon Jovi had looks, but they had chops too.
Jon Bon Jovi finds his voice on this album (after mixed results with his Springsteen-ish wail on his first two efforts) and while Richie Sambora hadn't shed his Eddie Van Halen tributes yet, he sounded more alive on this album than on most any other tracks he ever laid down. The rhythm section is really one of the more underlooked in rock but the production is top-notch, letting every musician have their moments. Every song has the typical 80's gloss and shine, yet the band pushes themselves to demonstrate that they have real, live talent.
Every song on this album is a winner, as well, from the Pyromania-ish kickoff of 'Let It Rock' to the mega-hits Livin on a Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive, You give love a Bad name, and Never Say Goodbye', right on down to the killer album tracks like Raise your Hands and especially 'I'd Die for You'.
Slippery When Wet is Bon Jovi's most consistent, focused affair, and if you want a good case to make about how good the 80's could be, then look no further than this album.

4.0 out of 5 stars I gotta admit, October 6, 2005
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
I have to say first off I am not really a Bon Jovi fan ,but my wife is a fan so I do hear her playing their music in our home.

That being said, I like to think I am a savvy audio fan. I started out with a small 5.1 system 3 years ago and have continually upgraded by reading different articles and attending trade shows and also by shopping at high end audio visual stores. I love the system we now have even though it cost me an arm and a leg. My wife bought a dual disc version of Slippery so she could listen to it in surround and I have to say strickley from an 5.1 listening experence it is the most exciting cd/dvd I have listened to. Up until now I thought Dark Side of the Moon was the bench mark for contemporary music in 5.1 but this dual disc has now moved into first place for me. There is so much depth and clarity to the mixes, I can't believe I haven't known about their 5.1 catalogue before. If your an audiophile give this a listen, you'll love it. Oh yeah.. Living on a Prayer really does rock. Hope this helps..

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply WOW!!!, September 28, 2005
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
At first I was a little hesitant about buying this album AGAIN. Have had it on Cassette since the day it was released, it was one of the first CD's I ever bought, bought the remastered edition a few years ago, just because (duh!) and when I was shopping for HAND, I saw this was going to be released the same day, well, of course had to pick it up. WOW WOW WOW. The original CD side is better than even the remastered version from a few years ago. And the DVD side? WOW WOW WOW. At first I was lost cause the Stereo mix was exactly the same as it always has been. Then I discovered the Surround 5.1 mix. WOW WOW WOW Makes me want to go and buy an even better stereo system. You HAVE to listen to the new versions and extended versions of some songs and like everyone else, my all time favorite Jovi song is NSG and the new intro???? Makes me pray they do this version on tour this year! WOW. Maybe it's a treasure that Obie's been hiding all along! Darn you Obie!

Like another reviewer said, don't even think twice about this one. Buy it. You WON'T be disappointed. You owe it to yourself if you are a true Jovi fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Landmark rock album of pop-influenced textures and arena heaviness!, December 31, 2005
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
I got the remastered CD version of Slippery When Wet since I didn't want to wear out the cassette version. The sound is so sharp and you can hear the lead guitars and drums quite clearly.

Slippery has lyrics that are a little cliched at times, but Jon Bon Jovi wrote from his experiences and life in many of these songs. Desmond Child and Richie Sambora wrote with Jon as well as the band. But the album is full-blown arena rock at its loudest in the '80s. Let It Rock is so full of energy for all its 5 minutes, it should be the song to open up all their concerts, even for their latest album , Have a Nice Day. It pairs well with their first #1, the danceable and sometimes funky You Give Love a Bad Name. Never Say Goodbye is a nice power ballad, sometimes sappy and would be perfect to play on prom nights today. Wanted Dead or Alive I still love today with its acoustic guitar leading to the big bombastic guitars in the song's middle. But I don't want to leave out the other songs. There are some solid numbers with Social Disease, the big album closer Wild in The Streets (they danced to this a lot on the USA network's teen dance show Dance Party USA in mid-1987, which was taped in Philadelphia),Raise Your Hands, and my favorite, the charging I'd Die For You. It's New Jersey-based rock with the feel of being in a big arena with the band performing loud in front of 60,000 fans. That's how good this album sounds and that's why it's still one of my favorites out of my music collection! The album that the band took control of their music career and succeeded! I still can't believe that it's sold over 12-15 million since '86!

4.0 out of 5 stars BON JOVI- SLIPPERY WHEN WET, August 9, 2002
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
This album is excellent; a necessity for any rock fan's collection. It is more than just goofy "hair-metal". The album opens with "Let it Rock" which is such an awesome song it had me playing it repeatedly, which I don't usually do. Next is the smash hit "You Give Love A Bad Name" which you surely have heard already, which is followed with the fantastic Livin' on a Prayer, which I also played repeatedly. "Social Disease" is a standard Bon Jovi number. "Wanted Dead or Alive" is a classic that compares the life of a rock star to that of a cowboy. "Raise Your Hands" is the quintessential Bon Jovi song. "Without Love" is a good power ballad. "I'd Die For You" is one of those songs that makes fans love Bon Jovi, or on the other side of the coin, makes other people hate them. "Never Say Goodbye" is a great ballad. "Wild in the Streets closes the album nicely. This is an exceptional album overall, with no weak tracks at all. Rating-****

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars for the original, not the re-release., May 14, 2010
Jonathan Weller (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slippery When Wet: Special Edition (Audio CD)
Bon Jovi's "Slippery When Wet" is easily one of the top five albums of the 1980's. There is absolutely no filler at all on this record, and it's fair to say with out this particular album, Bon Jovi may have never made it huge.

In my opinion, "Slippery When Wet" is Bon Jovi's finest hour. Some fans may argue for "New Jersey" or "Keep The Faith," and in all honesty those records are awesome, but this is where it all started to click for the boys from New Jersey. Bon Jovi took their song writing to a whole new level on this album, and couple that with the huge production, it's a winning formula for sure. My favorite tracks from the album are "Raise Your Hands," "Livin' On A Prayer," "You Give Love A Bad Name," "Without Love" and "Wild In The Streets," but the rest are strong just the same.

I highly reccommend this record if you do not already have it. It seems hard to believe melodic rock fans wouldn't have this gem, but hey, who knows. Another note about this release is, Bon Jovi re-released this album in 2010 with extra tracks, the "extra tracks" are all just live versions of already released songs, so i'm not really sure how they're anything extra.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5.1 Wins Again!, January 15, 2006
This review is from: Slippery When Wet (Audio CD)
Anyone who listens to 5.1 surround version of albums already knows how much better it makes the music sound. This album is no exception. Although it seems to lack in bass, it was nice to hear alternate versions of the songs that appear on the original album, most having a longer play time. Add to that the videos that were included and you have yourself a great little "Slippery When Wet" package. And I can't forget to credit the often-too-greedy record companies for releasing this DualDisc at an excellent price!

Slippery When Wet: Special Edition
Slippery When Wet: Special Edition by Bon Jovi (Audio CD - 2010)
Rate and Discover Movies