Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sloppy Seconds
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 10, 2000
As an owner of the first three Dr. Hook albums in the 70's, i.e. "Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show", "Sloppy Seconds", & "Belly Up", privledged to see them perform in 1975 in the U.K., interpreting the superb writings of Shel Siverstein I cannot recommend these titles enough! Sadly the third album "Belly Up" has yet to find its way to CD. Their ability to bring humor, heart and talent is not often equalled. Their 4th album "Bankrupt" sees the coming transition as they moved to popular mainstream music....
The deluge of "Greates Hits" albums miss many of the gems from the first three albums, "Soup Stone" to name just one....
Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show and the songs of Shel Silverstein made for a rare and sparkling legacy well worth being rediscovered again and again....not to be confused with the post bankrupt Dr. Hook of "When You're in Love with a beautiful woman" fame...good but not the unique blend from Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show....
So, Amazon is there a place on this site where the music punter and make request for the albums they would like to see reissued? I would like to make a first nomination of "Belly Up" by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show....How about it?
on January 14, 2006
In my opinion this is their best album, every song is worth a good close listen. I wore out my first 8 track copy of this, bought it again on 8 track over the years I also bought it on vinyl, cassette and on CD; don't regret a single purchase.

I still play it fairly often and enjoy it each time I hear it.
on May 20, 2004
This is another one of my top twenty favorites. I love every song on the original album. The dirty bonus track just doesn't do it for me, but for this review I'll just pretend it doesn't exist and give this cd five stars. Another must own for classic rock fans.
on January 9, 2007
I have always been a huge fan of Dr Hook & The Medicine Show: ever since "Sylvia's Mother" first came out, followed by "Cover Of The Rolling Stone". They had me for life after I enjoyed the experience of seeing them live at a private party for record company executives, record promoters, radio station owners and D.J.'s in Houston around 1977 (still not sure how I got invited, but it was a great show.)

"Sloppy Seconds" was never one of their best known albums, and I guess anybody would call it irreverant at best: not of religion or God, just of society. I had the original L.P., which I lost and a cassette (also lost), and was really missing the unusual songs on this truly unique album (the lyrics of many of which were written by Shel Silverstein in an earlier life: later of Playboy, Esquire and New Yorker cartoon fame and most recently as a best-selling author of children's books.) Finding a top-quality CD of this hard-to-find album was a really pleasant surprise, and listening to these 30 year old classics in new-age clarity has become a series of enjoyable continuing trips down memory lane.

I highly recommend the album and the seller.
on September 16, 2005
I love this album... it's funny to say, but my parents raised me on this and other great albums of their time. They have the original vinyl, but I had to have my own copy. It's hard to find in record stores, so I am pleased to have found it here. People may not think by looking at the band or the cover that this band could convey this music with such heart (although, some of it is just for fun), but their voices and music combined with the ever enduring poetic words of Shel Silverstein goes beyond the time or the look.
on November 17, 1998
Having listened to this one after many years I'm amazed how well it keeps. Most of the Lyrics are as current today as they were back in '72 when listened to during the university days. Freaker's Ball and Rocks Off still can offend the 'sensitive'. Me, "I (still) need it all!!!" Worth getting even if you're not a Hook fan, just to remember there was some great music before the disco infection
on May 11, 2001
I`ve been a fan of Dr.hook for almost 30 years. I`ve been listening to these guys since the early seventies. I have seen them live a lot of times.(They were unbelieveble) I have all their albums (including best of and solo albums) This album is the best that they ever did. "Carrie me carrie" and "Cover of the roling stone" is a "must" for every hook fan. On this album there are also a lot of other great songs. Just listen to "The things I didn`t say", "Freakers ball", "If I`d only come and gone" and "Last morning". All the songs on the album are "classics".
on April 19, 2015
thank you from all us hillbillies that can't stand getting up in the morning without Sloppy Seconds. This is a gold mine for us. I have been listening to Dr. Hook..every day since the first time I heard them singing. Dr. Hood is a big part of all 8 of my brothers and sisters youth. Funny how we all have our own little things in life that we love so much. Sloppy Seconds is one of those things for this family. I love Carrie Me Carrie
on December 11, 1998
This is one great set of well made rock tunes with songs written by that wonderful wordsmith Shel Silverstein, author of such childrens classics as A Light in the Attic, The Giving Tree and Where the Sidewalk Ends. But don't think there is anything childish about these lyrics! these were written by the same man who penned "The Great Smoke Out" for Playboy. There are some unforgettable lyrics in tunes like Get My Rocks Off, Freakers Ball, Last Morning and Carry Me, Carrie. For anyone who remembers this album it will be like finding an old friend. For you first timers you won't be sorry. Good listening.
on November 29, 2014
One of the greatest rock bands ever. They were musically talented, and so many of their lyrics were written by none other than the marvelous Shel Silverstein. Better listen to all these songs before playing 'em for grandma or the kids! Many NSFW.