5.0 out of 5 stars This is great for what it is:
Published on October 9, 2003 by Tracie

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better
This book could be useful to someone who has never used a slow cooker (Crock Pot or other brand) but for those of us who are looking for a collection of recipies to update our slow cooking repetoire, it is a disappointment.
Published on June 4, 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is great for what it is:, October 9, 2003
Tracie "tracieknits" (Saratoga Springs, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
This is not so much a recipe book as a manual that teaches you how best to use a crock pot. It teaches you how to convert your favorite recipes to a slow cooker, which is my favorite part of the book. It gives you some "master" recipes (meat sauce, chicken broth) that you can put in the freezer and use as a base for fast, delicious meals. That part of the book is also brilliant.
There aren't many recipes, but the great thing about the recipes they do have is that they are NOT the "add a can of condensed mushroom soup" variety. There are some hearty chicken and potato recipes that my family just adores - using real food such as herbes de provence and fresh mushrooms. But at the same time, the recipes are not complicated and the ingredients are easy to find in a regular grocery store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better, June 4, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
Although the authors give an excellent tip to brown all meats and some vegetables before placing them in the slow cooker, the majority of the recipies are not FOR the slow cooker, they are for using with components MADE in a slow cooker (stock, sauce, roasts). The section on the history of slow cooking and cookers, the section on food safety and the sections on recipies for meals from slow-cooked-stock or sauce could be replaced with more slow cooker recipies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast start for slow cooking, February 1, 2001
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
If you work all day and are responsible for feeding the trooops at home at the end of the day, you'd certainly be someone who'd get a lot of use from a slow cooker. Maybe you are like me and the one thing you DON'T want to face when you come home from the office is a pile of raw ingredients that somehow has to get converted into an edible state in less than 40 minutes. Not fun. Better to start your dinner in the slow cooker before you go to work and come home to the appetizing aroma of a nicely cooked meal.
Slow cookers aren't expensive(I got mine for less than $10 and they turn up at yard sales.) The electricity consumption is very low, something like a 60 watt light bulb. So what's not to like? Well, slow cooking isn't the same technique as cooking a stew or roast on the stove. If you don't know how to adjust a recipe, you will often get a raw or a watery mess. And you DO need hints on how to use the cooker (such as, don't keep lifting the lid, you'll dissipate the heat and your cooking times will be off.)
This book is full of the important basics of slow cooking you need to know, plus full of recipes. I like it a lot better than Mabel Hoffmann's very widely published book on slow cooking because it has a larger format --I don't like small format paperback cookbooks because they don't stay open on the kitchen counter. This is a great addition to any kitchen library and the recipes are adaptable enough that you can adjust them and create your own.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I had in mind, November 6, 2001
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
I also was somewhat disappointed in this book. I was looking for a collection of easy-to-cook recipes, along with some helpful tips and suggestions for Crockpot cooking. However, there is really quite a bit of instruction and examples on food preparation, which is helpful, but there is not as much on what I think crockpot cooking is all about - a reasonably short prep time and worry-free cooking. Many of the recipes are based off of a "main meat" or "main broth" type of recipe - which means that you will first have to find the base recipe and then flip back to the recipe you are trying to prepare. Not as handy as I would have liked - especially for a ".... for Dummies" book. There are probably some better choices out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most indispensable book in my kitchen, August 26, 2004
B.C. Scribe "trekviewer" (Brooklyn Center, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
You don't have to be a dummy to want to use this excellent guide to slow cookers. There simply isn't a better manual on the subject in publication - at least none that I would prefer over this one. I haven't been exposed to more valuable information concerning my 'crock pot', and I discovered more here than I had ever hoped to learn. The tips, hints, suggestions, pointers (whatever the term is that you label them or commonly call them in your household) are priceless. Even if you consider yourself an expert on the slow cooker you'll discover something during a perusal of this book you haven't before.

As always the writing in this book in the seemingly inexhaustible "For Dummies" series is never condescending, at times quite humorous, and organized to perfection. It never assumes anything and talks the reader through each process step by step. You'll be tempted to discard the instruction manual that comes with your slow cooker; you'll learn more basic techniques here than are covered in any manual that comes with a slow cooker appliance. But you get much more than that within the pages of this guide.

The book is broken down into five parts, and each part contains a number of separate chapters. Included are an introduction to and background information on the slow cooker appliance; safety tips; a multitude of recipes (try and pick a favorite - go on...try!) and the final section offers some handy kitchen troubleshooting techniques - in case you may experience a problem during preparation of a meal in the slow cooker. One of the best instructive sections written here helps you to adapt your family's favorite recipe into a meal cooked in your slow cooker - just in case you haven't been able too already that is! Of further interest here is a list of ten websites on the subject of slow cookers and recipes for them. The front of the book has it's own provided recipes broken down in appropriate food groups; the book also has an index for easy referencing. Additionally there is a metric conversion chart for measurements and, probably most helpful of all, a list of each of the manufacturers of the appliances and how to contact them.

Granted, 'Slow Cookers For Dummies' may contain information that is "old hat" for the pro's out there but don't neglect at least a glance here even if you lump yourself in with this group. And definitely don't pass up this book if you're a seasoned amateur or especially if you're only a beginner. Hint: I received mine as a Christmas gift several years ago...so if you're looking for a gift for someone's birthday or shopping for Christmas gifts be sure to give this strong consideration. I know I really appreciate my copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn more about your slow cooker, June 29, 2004
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
This is *not* a collection of slow cooker recipies. It *is* however, a far better replacement for the manuals that comes with most slow cookers though. There are recipies in the book, and they're good recipies. The value of the book though comes from the tips and techniques that will teach you how to do more with your slow cooker and how to adapt recipies to slow cookers. I definitely recommend this for people who are new to slow cooking (the ones who received it as a housewarming/wedding/graduation/other gift). Slow cooker pro's probably won't get much from this book (of course they're not dummies, so why are they buying a book for dummies?), but newbies and intermediate users definitely will get lots out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book BEFORE you buy the slow cooker, February 15, 2006
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm going to jump the gun and review this book before I've cooked any of the recipes. I haven't bought the slow cooker yet. I mainly chose this book to educate myself on what to look for when shopping for a slow cooker. I've never owned one before and I didn't want to buy one and then realize which features I should have looked for. How many appliances have I bought that I wish I hadn't, only because I didn't know enough about how the appliance functions. Not going to make that mistake again so this time I'm starting with the cookbook first. I think it's going to pay for itself even if I don't like the recipes (which I'm sure I will once I try them). Information contained in this book still applies to slow cookers sold today, I've been shopping for them this week. What has changed is that the quality of slow cookers has declined, reviews show you that, all the more reason to purchase this book to help you sort out the wheat from the chaff.

Looking at the recipes in this book I see that they call for a 4qt or a 6qt slow cooker and the instructions are given in hours on either a Low or High setting. Now that I've seen what a slow cooker recipe looks like I know that a cooker with a dial that has these settings is going to make it easier to follow the recipe. I also know that there is a difference between cookers that use a wrap around heating element and a bottom only heating element. The book warns you about the pitfalls of owning a slow cooker with a bottom only heating element. It also talks about the insert, how some models allow the insert to be placed directly on your stovetop but this means you do not have a true slow cooker. Lots of informative advice I am so glad I am aware of now. Makes shopping for a slow cooker less daunting.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'll keep looking for a better book, December 29, 2001
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
This book was less about the food, and more about the backround, history, and machanics of a slowcooker. If you love soup this book might be what your looking for, but for everyday good food, I will keep looking for a better book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cookbook, December 5, 2005
S. Asher (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
I love this cookbook. It gives the reader all sorts of helpful information on cooking with a slow cooker, along with many excellent recipes. Much better than some of the fancier slow cooker cookbooks, with recipes that take too much time. After all, I bought my slow cooker to SAVE time!

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of good tips!, January 26, 2007
Jeanette Athey "Jeanette" (Kentucky, Louisville USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Slow Cookers For Dummies (Paperback)
i searched and searched for a slow cooker/crock pot cookbook and finally found this one. not only does it have good recipes, it mainly has instructions/tips, etc. about how to use your cooker and how to get the most from it. i only wish it had recipes for my size cooker/3 and 1/2 qt. instead of the 6. but, i can usually adjust down the ingredients. this is the perfect cookbook for me since i am a dummie when it comes to cooking. lol!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Slow Cookers For Dummies
Slow Cookers For Dummies by Tom Lacalamita (Paperback - November 6, 2000)
$16.99 $11.37