Slow Hands (The Wrong Bed Book 43)
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$3.49

on September 26, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I just read this book on my Blackberry Kindle (getting a real Kindle in a few weeks) and this is one of the best romance novels I have ever read. I have been reading this while sitting behind my desk at work. I started this book at 4:15 p.m and finished at 11:02 p.m. I still cannot believe what a suspenseful page turner this was. I loved the attitude of Jake. Madeline was quite the character as well, thinking Jake was a gigolo. I had to remember I was at work to keep from laughing too loud because there were some funny points here. One of my favorite parts was picking Jake's sister up and she asking Madeline if her ex, Oliver, cheated on her with a man because his name sounded gay. I mean, I do not laugh at gay people, but that was too much, I could no longer contain the laughter. It is rare in these romance books to add such color and personality to the characters, but this author mastered that beautifully. I was still shocked that this book was free because I would have gladly paid $6.99 for that. I hope this author does not stop because this book was too good. If I could rate it more I would, but since we stop at 5, that is what this novel will get. Cannot wait to start a new book, as I am searching the Kindle store now, because I have 50 more minutes at work!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2009
Format: Kindle Edition
I'm not a huge romance reader but it was free for the kindle. It suprised me how much I like the story. I am excited to read the next one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I am not one to read romance novels on a regular basis; however, this book really appealed to me. At times the plot did get convoluted, but as is the nature of romance novels, love is suppose to win out in the end. As for the steaminess of this novel, all I can say is that I may begin reading more romance novels for the passion depicted in this book was deliciously steamy.

This was indeed a good read.
on August 30, 2010
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I read this at the beach on an anniversary trip with my husband and it was just perfect. Very quick, sexy, funny and written well. The plot moved at a decent pace and the characters are sweet and believable. I simply thought it was great and rated it 5 stars and it was free to boot! Read it if you like books with hot sex!
on January 4, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I've been downloading free books for the Kindle lately, and after a string of questionable reads, I finally found gold here. I read this book all one sitting the other night.

Maddy Turner's sister, Tabitha, tells her that their step-mother plans to "buy" a gigolo at a charity bachelor auction and cheat on their father with the man. Tabitha convinces Maddy that she must "buy" the man instead. Maddy reluctantly agrees because she loves her father and doesn't want to see him hurt

Jake Wallace, a paramedic, is roped into participating in the bachelor auction to repay a favor. What neither Maddy nor Jake knows is that a mix-up in the bachelor bios has occurred. Maddy (and others) think Jake is the gigolo. Maddy "buys" him out from under her step-mother, then tries to avoid him. But circumstances and other people intervene.

I really liked the characters in this book. Maddy is refreshingly *not* a perfect size 2 blond. Even though she has a lot of (family) money, she has a job and seems to enjoy normal activities like baseball and eating burgers. Jake is a nice guy, too, who is at first offended when he realizes that Maddy thinks he has sex for money. But unlike romance novel heroes who piss me off, he doesn't blow a gasket, accuse her of all kinds of horrible deeds, and make the misunderstanding worse.

I initially worried that this "big misunderstanding" about Jake's line of work would be drawn out past plausibility, but that didn't happen. Jake - as noted above - figures out that there has been a misunderstanding, lets it continue for a while, but then comes clean.

The sex is pretty steamy and fun.

However, the story takes place over only a few weeks, and that is one of the weaknesses. It's hard to believe that two people could truly fall in love in such a short time, but at the same time, I understand the limits that this short novel format imposes. There simply isn't space to draw the story out further.

The only other drawback relates to something that was never addressed - again probably because of the length of the story. Jake and Maddy come from *very* different backgrounds and social classes; true love can conquer a lot, but finding a happy middle ground where they can both happily coexist would be a challenge.

Overall, though this was a quick, sexy, fun read. I'll definitely be looking for more of Ms. Kelly's books.
on August 16, 2009
Format: Kindle Edition
Slow Hands by Leslie Kelly isn't the greatest in the genre, but by no means the worst either. The story is as obvious as they come...and the characters are caricatures of romance novels. How many romance novels feature a man that some woman has misconceptions of only to learn differently when the moment is right? Most. It is time to change the channel on them and offer us romance fans something new. So, the plot is predictable, characters are dry, and the writing is uninspiring -- so then what is good about it? The passion. Where some romance novels are more story driven with minimal passion, Slow Hands is carnal in its passion. Isn't that the purpose of the romance genre, anyway? Slow Hands by Leslie Kelly shines in this category, and while it would have been nice to develop a thought-provoking storyline, it just isn't what this book is about. "Hot and steamy" is really all that is needed to review this product.
on December 13, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
Despite all the cliche's, ice princess, auctioning off gigolos for charity, and the paramedic with the heart of gold, this book was cute and fun.

The bios and photos of two bachelors are mixed up. One is a blue collar paramedic while the other is a rich jetsetting stockbroker, an expert at pleasuring women.

Maddy, a high powered financier, bid on what she expected to be a stockbroking gigolo and got more than she could handle, an actual honest to goodness boy next door who can smoke the socks off her as if he had the experience of a high paid escort.

Through multiple twists and misunderstandings, as well as plenty of hot action, the score is settled, and the story ends happily. The best part of the book for me was the banter between Maddy and Jake as they talked around the mistaken identity, each hearing what they expected, but saying the exact thing that inadvertently mislead the other. The author did diffuse the tension so that instead of an explosive revelation, the truth came out in private. Not as melodramatic, but more genuine and touching.
Format: Mass Market Paperback
The Turner half-sisters banker Madeline and socialite Tabitha Turner adore their too often married father and want the best for him; they hope his latest much younger spouse, number four, proves as such. However, Tabby learns their new stepmother detestable Deborah plans to bid on a gigolo at a charity bachelor auction.

Tabby insists her sibling Maddy outbid the shrew. Maddy reluctantly agrees for daddy's sake as she does not want him hurt. She wins international businessman Jake Wallace. However, as their attraction grows, he is confused by her references to global economy as if she assumes he is an expert when he is a local paramedic; the auction brochure was wrong.

The fun with this humorous contemporary romance is the miscommunication between Maddy and Jake; as her premise is he is an international womanizing businessman while he assumes she knows he is a paramedic. Their banter sounds at times out of an Abbot and Costello routine only bawdier. Leslie Kelly keeps her ensemble under control while the laughs never stop as Maddy and Jake fall in love, but may not make it together due to her pre-perceptions.

Harriet Klausner
on September 7, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This book was so boring. Some parts were nice to read I guess but other than that, it was just so boring and I can't stand the insecurity throughout the book.

It's fine that the Author wants to make out the main character, "Maddy" to be some sort of beauty queen who doesnt realize she is a beauty queen because she has got hangups about her body like the rest of us ladies do. Fine, I am all for that. However, does it have to be at the cost of every other female character around her?

Maddy has stumpy legs while the other women have long legs but somehow Maddy looks better and the other women are just plain because they have long legs, are thin and are blonde. Interesting. I am not a blonde but I am not sure how being blonde, thin and having long legs is boring or not pretty, as opposed to having short stumps... . Interesting.

It seems to me that this author was writing about herself and her own insecurities on this book. I think the author could have made Maddy and her beauty stand out on its own without having to make every female around her cat like, blonde, "rail-thin", mean spirited and plain. The author is the one who comes across as cat-like and mean spirited to me.

I caught myself skipping through most pages. Not a very exciting book. I liked "once a cowboy, always a cowboy". Look it up in Amazon.
on February 17, 2011
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I am an avid reader and usually enjoy everything under the sun - from non-fiction and classic lit to horror and romance novels. But this one was just particularly weak - I found myself skipping through pages, which I never do.

Gripe one - we're supposed to believe that a strong, educated, independent woman goes from being a love skeptic and commitmentphobe due to a personal and family history of unhappy relationships, to being ready to commit for life - in mere weeks?

Gripe two - as others have pointed out, seriously, what is with the body bashing? If the situation were to be reversed - Maddy was slim and the other women weren't, and therefore were referred to as completely awful and unattractive - people would be outraged. Why is it acceptable to refer to slender women in such a derogatory manner? And this was actually writen by a woman - shame on her for the negative body talk. Curvy women can be sexy and slim women can be sexy - would it have killed the author to write about Maddy's attractively shapely body without having to resort to making all the slender women into blonde sticks of evil?

Gripe three - I hate when the romantic misunderstandings are this contrived. I know a lot of romance authors use these are a literary device, but this was just so weak. I have friends who are medics and firefighters, and they mention work ALL the time. It's an intense job and it occupies a person's thoughts. So the fact that Jake never ever says a single word about his work - which he LOVES - in all this time, is just not realistic. He really can't talk about being a paramedic without mentioning gore? Really?

Clearly I am in the minority here, since this book has been on the free Kindle bestseller list for many weeks, but I won't be picking the author again.