Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: 3.5 Inch Small TFT LCD Adjustable Monitor For Security CCTV Camera and car DVR
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on September 12, 2012
I originally bought this monitor because it says 640x480, which is higher than the typical 320x248 resolution 3.5" monitors for rearview mirrors you get that you can also find on Amazon.

After hooking this up to the Raspberry Pi, I can tell you quite definitely that this LCD is NOT 640x480. In fact, it is the same resolution as every other monitor on Amazon, 320x248 (Not to mention the EXACT SAME PRODUCT. I am not kidding. The plastic shell, the buttons, the stand, the plugs, it is 110% the same thing as every other Amazon 3.5" monitor from the same Chinese manufacturer). This is ONE FOURTH of the the promised pixel count. It is nowhere near the resolution that it very clearly says in the specs. The voltage and amp requirements are also unclear, even when no adapter is provided. This means you basically have to roll the dice and connect it to a random power line (which you have do splice wires for) and hope the damn thing doesn't explode while you're doing it.

Product is below-average, specs are a lie, wiring is a pain, price is higher than other apparently exact same low resolution models on Amazon. Do not buy this specific product from this specific manufacturer, you can find the exact same thing on Amazon for $8 cheaper (e.g. 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile.

I am extremely disappointed in these dime a dozen manufacturers who do not bother to write accurate specs and sell cheap knock-off goods and then steal cheap knock-off copy-and-paste descriptions.
44 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2011
The title says AV RCA video sound input and the picture shows standard Audio, Video and Power conncections. There are no speakers and the Audio (white) jack is actually a second video input. Other than that it is a decent little screen. I paid a little more than similar products on Amazon because it had the audio. My first clue was that there was no volume adjustment. Then I tested, using my DVD player, to make sure. Picture was great but no sound. Other units only have the video and power so I wondered "What is the white jack for?" The description talks about auto switching between V1 and V2 with a special note about how to hook the power up. So, I put the DVR video output to the white jack. Yep, nice picture. Based on the power hookup description I'll guess that V1 is yellow and V2 is white. When V2 is powered up, then the unit automatically switches to V2. I didn't test that though. There are no brightness or contrast adjustments nor is there an on-off switch. I give it a 2 star for what it is compared to what is described. If the description was correct, I'd probably give it a 4 star since it doesn't have any video adjustment although they don't claim there is so maybe even a 5. I'm trying to replace a little 2 inch unit that has brigthness, volume, a little speaker and an on-off switch.

Oh, there are no instructions either. Just what is on the product page.
on December 11, 2012
After reading some of the unfounded negative reviews on this LCD monitor, i had to clear a few things up! First off!! This monitor is made for your car as a back up safety monitor. There is no speaker or sound on this monitor, so dont expect any! Next! There is no power supply included with this, as the power comes from your 12 volt DC car electrical system! Next! This monitors screen will only power on when it senses a source signal from the camera or other device! I hope this helps. By the way! you can power this monitor with a "Wall Wort" 12 Volt DC .500 ma Adaptor! Take care!!!
on January 4, 2013
Very useful little device. I purchased it with a small wireless "spy camera" to watch the front yard as I had my car broken into. Its not HD or anything special just a no frills display. I'm happy I had it as it made me feel safer and helped me catch someone in the act which allowed me to stop them before I had any further property loss.
on July 18, 2012
I should have read the reviews, didn't work and i'm very disapointed with it. i got what i paid for, a cheap non working peice of plastic
on October 17, 2014
Bought a new TV (60 inch LCD LED top of the line TV)... when the guys came to get my "old TV" I had this TFT LCD hooked up to my DirecTV box... showing that there was a working output that the new TV was going to hook up to. Of course I had to tell the tech that I was upgrading from a smaller TV... This One! He almost died and had to run and get his partner before I disconnected this one. It actually has a great picture!!!!
on March 15, 2012
1. I received it within 3 days.
2. It is a compact monitor, very practical to use in the car.
3. It automatically switches between two cameras. It seems like 'white' input is intended for rear view camera, and yellow for front view camera. By default, the monitor displays 'yellow' input signal, however, when you shift rear gear (which should turn on the rear view camera), the monitor receives 'white' input signal and displays rear camera video. Shifting back from rear gear turns off the rear view camera and since there is no 'white' signal, the monitor switches back to 'yellow' (front) camera.
4. Could run on 9V battery (this is how I tested it since it came with no power supply).
5. The menu has options for brightness, contrast, color adjustment, rotation...
6. Would be beneficial if it had a built-in speaker, however, in the car you would probably record nothing but noise.
7. Don't know how long it will last, but so far I would recommend this product.
99 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2013
I purchased two of these to use as basic video monitors in a simple TV studio. I just needed something to show the live feeds from the camera and a computer.

-Poor color
While I realize that composite video is nowhere near as sharp or accurate as newer standards, the color reproduction of these monitors is very weak at best. Bright colors appear "solarized", that is, as blocks of color rather than subtle variations. I did try to adjust the controls, but nothing really helped.

-Poor viewing angle
Anything other than directly head-on, and the screen picks up all kinds of glare and the picture begins to wash out/look inverted/etc.

-already starting to fail
One of the two screens, on the second day, has a line across it about 2/3 of the way down. The picture is complete, though, but the line makes it look like the picture is cut in two.

I admit they are cheap screens, and as other reviews have stated, they have very limited resolution. They power on just fine, and find the video input immediately.

I guess I will continue to use them, but frankly, I should have spend a little more on something a little better.
I bought a BNC Male / RCA Male, 75ohm, RG59U Coaxial Cable to connect Monitor & DVR and a Gino 2 Pcs 2.1 X 5.5mm Male Dc Plug 9v Battery Clip to connect it to a battery I also bought. It worked fine for a few minutes then I unplugged it and when I plugged it in to the next camera I was testing the screen flickered for a second like it is was going to function correctly and then went white. I've noticed on some of the other reviews that the same thing happened with them. It's a cool little monitor and would be ideal for my purpose of testing security cameras on my surveillance system if it would continue working after disconnecting it and reconnecting it from one camera to another. I returned it and received a complete refund. This is the first time I've ever returned anything via Amazon and I've been shopping online with them since they started. The process is hassle free. You just print out a bar code (that Amazon generates online), include that with the item you are returning and wrap the item. UPS will pick it up at your door. UPS then sticks a return label on the wrapped box with the item and a couple of days later you'll receive a complete refund included shipping costs.
on December 30, 2015
This screen is very cheap. It is cheap monetarily and cheap in quality. I was looking for a cheap solution to view what my dogs were doing in the camper while driving. It worked okay for that purpose.