Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a good overview if you are thinking of starting a business. You will think about how you want to organize your business, your finances, and your marketing. If you have employees, you'll think about what you will be responsible for and how to manage them.

But...it is not a step-by-step guide to starting your own business. It won't tell you how to get a business license in your city/county/state. It won't tell you how to sell your product or reach your customers. And it -really- doesn't tell you how to maximize free technology (social media and other resources) to reach your customers.

There are 5 sections: "Becoming an Entrepreneur", "Buying an Existing Business", "Running a Successful Small Business", "Keeping Your Business in Business", and "The Part of Tens" (Ten mistakes; ten tips). Again, these are overviews and that highlights the challenge of writing a book like this. The author doesn't know YOUR business and so just can't be specific about -your- challenges.

For example, there's a lot about managing employees but many small businesses do it all themselves or with one or two family members. You have to wait until page 160 to find relevant information if you already have a business--or even if you want to find out about a business license (not enough there, imo).

In short, it's a good overview before you start--this is what you can expect and should have already thought about before starting up. If you're already in business, it's good to see things and ask yourself "Am I paying attention to this? Why or why not and .. should I change something I'm doing/not doing?" In other words, this book is kind of a check-up, tune-up for you along the way, but its not really a "nuts and bolts" How To, that shows you exactly how everything is done.
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
That I found this book overwhelming & confusing. Okay fine. Roll your eyes & laugh all you want. I guess I'm dummer than a dummy. This year I took the leap into the small business world. I run an Organic farm with my husband. We don't have employees, we have livestock & crops. We are a general farm.

My problem with the book is that even though it is for small business, it was too big business for me. So many situations didn't apply & had me sweating bullets. I started to over think everything & bury myself in endless amounts of paperwork, getting little else accomplished in the day. I tried talking to other local farmers for business advice but didn't get much out of them. I talked to an out of state friend & when they understood all the crazy I had going on, they started to help by explaining a few things to me. Now I am on a somewhat smoother path.

Despite my lack of understanding, I didn't feel it was fair to rate the book any less than 4 stars. When I have a better grasp on some things, sections of the book are more clear to me. Also, some of the IRS speak is much more clear thanks to reading the Dummies book.

I hope that as time goes on things will work more seamlessly. I intend on holding on to this book to reference to. I imagine it will become more helpful to me the more all this business stuff takes root in my brain & isn't in one ear & out the other.

After calling my local help center for small business's I was very glad to have read this book. The woman I spoke to mentioned many of the things the book mentioned & thankfully I understood what she referred to & didn't feel stupid. How about that! It took me a few months to read the entire book while setting up my small business - which still isn't finished but getting there. It is amazing how many little things there are to do. I look forward to the day when having our organic farm as a business comes to me as naturally as just plain ol' farming!
VINE VOICEon March 30, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Have you ever dreamed of owning your own business? Many people have but they are unsure where to start. There is a LOT that goes into the establishment and operation of a business and Small Business for Dummies, a reference guide for business people, is ready to assist budding entrepreneurs in the fine art of small business ownership.

What can you learn from Small Business for Dummies? In truth, just about any of the important information you need to know about starting up your own company. Starting with intention, Small Business for Dummies first asks some important questions to make sure you are ready for the demands that small ownership can bring. Once that hurdle has been jumped, the book then talks about things such as writing a business plan, obtaining financing, seeking out legal and other help, and maintaining the business well after it has been established.

Small Business for Dummies, like the other Dummies books, is concerned mostly with helping readers find answers to many of the important questions bound to arise when a small business has been established. New business owners often have tons of questions and need quick answers. They cannot wait for a solution- the need advice and they need it now. With a reference guide such as this, readers can flip through the pages and discover all sorts of important information about running a small business. Some of the info is obvious, but there is other information that will surprise the average reader and leave them feeling thankful that they read this book and learned a little more about business ownership and operation.

I have never owned a business with more than a few employees, but I admit that the thought has crossed my mind more than once. With Small Business for Dummies, readers can quickly discover their own strengths and weaknesses and can find answers to most any question relating to business operation and business success. It is a very good book and invaluable resource for those who want to run their own company.
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2012
While I appreciate the "for Dummies" series -- I own several on various topics -- I often feel like the series really is for beginners (I won't use the word "dummies"). I bought this book since I am in the process of starting up a small business. And while there are some important points and tips made, and the writing is very accessible, I found the book lacking in some really crucial details of small business ownership. For example, if you want detailed advice on taxes, payroll, and accounting, I would recommend other books. If you really just want to get an idea of what it takes to get a business up and going, a quick manual of sorts, than this book is what you need.
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a very comprehensive and easy to read guide for anyone who has ever thought about being his/her own boss, but it can get overwhelming to see all that is involved. Given that not everyone who is unhappy working for someone else will make a successful small business owner, one of the first topics covered is whether one's financial and personal satisfaction goals can be met through being a better employee or changing one's current line of work. The book has a short quiz to help you figure out if owning a small business is really for you and makes a point of informing readers of the importance of talking it over with loved ones first.
For those who are more serious about going into business for themselves, the book answers just about every question you can think of - from making sure you have the financial backing to how to get that backing to the type of business which might be the best fit - independent, franchise, or an existing company. The book really asks you to focus on the why's behind your decisions. They state that most small business owners don't ever become millionaires and that making a ton of money is not the right reason to decide to own a business.
There are many up-to-date sources of advice and help in the book: everything from starting it up to marketing to dealing with employees. However, as helpful as the information is, it does sound like very hard work. That is probably because the authors are honest about all that goes into owning a business. I don't think the book will scare anyone away, but it will definitely put things in perspective.
The best part is that the authors are not pitching a particular program or model. They merely present the steps to follow and some advice for smoothing out the bumps along the way.
on February 3, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the 4th edition of this book, very up to date. It is brilliant, that is the best word I can think of to describe it. Truly, everyone involved in business would benefit from reading it. Some people may find they are happier working for someone else, but they will still get LOADS of useful help from reading this book. It thoroughly discusses ways to find the small business you want to be involved with.

Small businesses have a high rate of failure, and reading this book will HUGELY help you avoid that failure. Money in all the ways it is involved is discussed, and that of course is critical! How to finance the business in the first place and every step of the way--and the book also discusses ways to leave a business. As well as ways to grow a business.

Many things the book talks about call for checking out your local laws and also for getting professional help. Knowing when to do this is alone worth buying and reading the book!

Truly, this book is a precious resource, a must have.
on June 21, 2012
My wife recently started a small business designing/printing greeting cards and a few other novelty items. As I have no desire to be her resident-sounding-board, I ordered this and one other book on current tax laws. Between the two she should be able to, keep it on the road, so to speak. I read a copy of this book in 93 and remember it being very easy to follow. I'm sure this one will be as well. If not, I'll let you know as she will most certainly let me know.
on October 1, 2013
This book is great for the knowledge of all the possibilities that may come my way as my income for my art grows. Ignorance is not bliss when it comes to preparing for the future. The one thing it is missing is a clear description of spread sheets I should have prepared for the IRS! I come from 35 years in the financial field and even I don't have this basic knowledge. Although the last third of the book reaches far beyond what my business may become, but who knows for sure?
VINE VOICEon May 17, 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Got this for my hubs, who is interested in starting his own business - very nicely laid out, easy to read, easy to follow - I couldn't tell you applicable the advice is since I haven't started my own business yet, but this one follows like all the other Dummy books - easy to understand.
on November 20, 2012
Small Business for Dummies I found to be very practical, containing a great deal of information that I did not know before. It is written in a way that provides a great many insights, giving choices, suggestions, and recommendations based on the experience of the two authors.

It covers every aspect of starting and running a small business and is applicable to both really small businesses and larger ones. The highlighted "tips" and "warnings" were especially helpful. It's written in a style that is actually entertaining -- also includes a great many positive and negative examples of how things can go quickly awry -- or proceed on a good track toward success. A really practical book!