Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Small Houses (Great Houses)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 18, 2014
This book has a few ideas for making small houses feel larger but most of the books detail houses that I do NOT consider to be small. Maybe 2000 sq ft is small to some people. Small to me is less that 1000 sq ft.
on April 30, 2013
It's a nice book to look at, but most of the "small house" are rather expensive which somewhat defeats the purpose of staying small.
They could have done a better job; they will not compete with Sara Susanka on details or use of space with most of these plans.
on September 23, 2013
Pics are wonderful. There are many of most houses. House plans of each house. Overall the best book I've seen yet for small house plans and designing efficiency. I'm very appreciative of efficiency in a house, no matter the size.
on October 18, 2014
This is a pretty neat book with one exception: Small houses to me are less than 1100 square feet. Only five of the many in this book are less than 1100 square feet. Some exceed 2000 square feet. The middle category is large indeed.

BUT the book is interesting and well assembled. It's just not for me. I returned it for another book that looks more promising.

Also online Tumbleweed.com has some really small homes both on wheels and foundations. These start really small--130 square feet. The site is really helpful in organizing thoughts about living small. The videos can seem corny but I found them helpful. Oh, and check out Sunset and Dwell magazines for more ideas.

Then when you know more about what you're looking for, I do think a good book with lots of pictures and floor plans is an absolute delight in developing these ideas. So I will review the next book I get too. The concept of small-house living is really intriguing, especially if you are like me with a larger than needed home that is too economical to leave currently.
on June 9, 2014
I enjoyed the layout of this book and all the pictures- would like to know a bit more about certain houses (without bothering the owners) but am very interested in cost-per-foot of building and WHERE some of these houses were located- am considering building one myself, and some of these were located in areas that I am looking at. But the information supplied and photos were really interesting and I do find myself rereading the book regularly.
on December 1, 2013
Many of the detailed projects aren't that interesting architecturally. I think they could have chosen a more diverse set. The image quality is also mediocre. Otherwise provides a few useful insights and floor plans concepts..
on February 29, 2016
Perhaps I read the description wrong. I was hoping to find a book filled with floor plans for small houses. It had a few, but was mostly just a lot of building ideas and things to think about when building small houses. Seemed like a decent read, but not what I was looking for.
on April 4, 2014
I purchased Small House primarily for inspiration, and I was far from disappointed! The pictures are clear and crisp - showing the many interesting details in the homes. I have not read the book. I've only looked at the photos two or three time, so I can provide no review of the text - sorry!
on March 5, 2014
Plenty of ideas, well laid out book. Some very interesting well designed small homes in this book. I've read "Fine Homebuilding" for years and this is one of their best on the small home subject.
on September 24, 2014
Yet another good book for inspiration. Some good pictures and design ideas that will help you if you are considering shifting gears and moving into a smaller house that doesn't require you to spend 30-40% of your waking moments trying to pay for it. It has some interesting details from a builder perspective but not quite as inspirational as the books by Susan Susanka.