5.0 out of 5 stars After 32 Years, It's About Time
Thank goodness, we can now put our 32-year-old copy of this book out to pasture; it is falling apart at the seams. We bought a copy from a used bookseller about 5 years ago, and have used it to formulate an approach for small-scale grain raising. Our old book has become considerably more threadbare than it already was.

This book introduces grain growing to...
Published on June 7, 2009 by Louise Marcus

3.0 out of 5 stars not small-sccale enough for me
Published on June 25, 2010 by Laurie F.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars not small-sccale enough for me, June 25, 2010
This review is from: Small-Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers, 2nd Edition (Paperback)
I didn't think this book was of much help to me as someone interested in very small grain production. The author talks a lot about big machinery and acres to be something I relate to. He also seems to assume the reader can go to a grain elevator or a feed mill. I have access to neither, being in Florida. ( Of course, I'm accustomed to having to translate everything to Florida's terms.) I am currently reading "Homegrown Whole Grains" by Sara Pitzer, and it seems to be geared more to my scale. Both books give good basic coverage of different grains, how to grow them, and recipes for their use. I did enjoy Mr. Logsdon's style of writing, and I hope to read more of his books. I just hope I will be able to put them into perspective for my own homestead's applications.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 32 Years, It's About Time, June 7, 2009

This book introduces grain growing to the gardener or small-acreage homesteader. It offers many options for expediently producing and using grains (for both human and animal consumption) without needing to own the big iron usually associated with grain farming. It brings out the character of each type of grain as well as how to grow, harvest, and use it. And it introduces some grains that many gardeners might not be familiar with. There are great descriptions of hand tools which are no longer in use commercially, but which can still be quite useful to the small-scale grain producer.

On top of that, the book is well written and a pleasure to read. This is one of our most treasured homesteading reference books.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the devoted, October 21, 2009
I was disappointed not in the book, it was an enjoyable read, but that growing grain requires more work and/or equipment than vegetable gardening. The information provided on how to plant, grow, harvest and store grains reveals that a "pancake" patch needs more equipment than the average home gardener would normally own, particularly for harvesting. The author frequently states that the hand tools needed for are either found used at farm actions or are antiques and not available. If you have acreage beyond a normal vegetable garden and a strong healthy back the book honestly presents the information needed to grow ones one supply of grain. I must admit, small plot grain growing is more for personal satisfaction than food production, but the book is a good reference to include in one's garden library.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very helpful, March 24, 2010
The title suggest that this book is written as well for gardeners. It is not. Most of the cultivation techniques he describes are based on a tractor and a lot of machinery unknown to me (an I guess to most gardeners as well). There are no hints of hand cultivating as he assumes that all gardeners own a rotary hoe.

He also assumes a lot of knowledge the reader might have, i.e. sow clover in the wheat. OK, but what do I have to do when I have a garden bed full of wheat? Do I simply throw seeds in between or do I have to cultivate the bed before? Another example is he suggests to grow wheat like the Chinese did in rows. But no description how this is done, how it looks.
Some things like how to store your corn in the field are described in a very lengthy way and it would have been a lot easier putting in some pictures to explain. Other questions are not answered at all. The book is not very methodical and it is poorly organized.

The recipes are weird. For me it just does not fit to write a book on growing your own grains and then in the recipe section asking for ingredients like "frozen corn" or "nonfat dry milk".

I find it very disturbing that there are no metric measurements and temperatures in brackets. Even American readers might have problems to know what a peck of corn is or a bushel of wheat, which is something different than a bushel of oats. For the normal backyard gardener ponds or kilos are understandable.

In short, it is a nice book to read, lot of American farming history, but nothing which really help you to grow your own grains, unless you have a lot of knowledge yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just to be clear, this is small scale farming not large scale gardening, May 12, 2010
A tractor and acreage is called for in most of the situations raised in this book. It's the classic 1977 book on small, organic grain production. It's especially useful for grain for beer and other malt beverage making operations, or as the author originally wrote, for small-scale bakery operations. A great book, but not for gardeners. If you have an acre, or a couple of acres, and want to try raising grain, then this is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have if interested in grain, June 25, 2011
I found this book very well written and extremely informative. I initially had reservation about ordering this book because of the reviews that stated it was not written for small gardeners. I found this to be untrue. Whether you are spreading the seed by hand or grain drill and harvesting by hand sickle or combine, you will find a wealth of information in this book. If you are looking to add an excellent book on Grain to your personal library shelf, this is it. If you need more basic information, try Carla Emery's "Encylopedia of Country living".

3.0 out of 5 stars revisions left out some useful info, November 21, 2011
I bought a copy of this book when it originally came out decades ago, and thought it was a useful reference because I didn't have much knowledge of growing grains. One of the things I liked about the original edition was the appendix with ideas for making a small home-built threshing device, which was left out of the new edition. A friend bought the new edition and loaned it to me to read. I had hoped it would have lots of new and updated info, but that wasn't the case. I find that a lot of "revised" editions of older books just leave out some of the practical information, perhaps for liability reasons.

Read the book at the library, and then decide if you need a copy. And then, buy a copy of the original version if you think it would be useful to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read that will GROW on you!, April 2, 2011
I confess to being a child of the 60's, sat in line during gas rationing in the 70's (were your license plates odd or even numbered; which day was your gas day?) and once again, the cost of living is far outrunning my paycheck. I did not read the first book, but I am so glad I did read this one!
Right off the bat, the author states that this "revised edition" has most of the "hot air" taken out. The Internet puts a lot of current and updated information at your fingertips. Easy access via Internet searches, which the author repeatedly recommends, makes contacting local groups for seeds cleaning services and agricultural support for the small farmer, the easiest thing to do... You are left with a book full of great information, recipes, planting estimates and advice that is timeless. This is for the back yard/smaller grower who wants to make really fresh food from their own grain, feed a chicken or two and in general get back in touch with the land..you know, become self sustaining.
When I first started this book, I though the author was exaggerating, being too much a gloom and doom Gus. HOWEVER, with the ever changing state of the world, the rising cost of oil, and also food stuffs, perhaps we should listen. It just might benefit us all to learn how to grow our own! If that is what you want, then you've come to the right place starting with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic info and an easy read., December 27, 2010
I bought this book after I purchased my first 90 acre organic farm this fall. I raise poultry mostly, but we are also trying to be far more self sufficient. Logsdon's book is not only very readable with funny anecdotes and information, but very logical and precise. He gives you the pro's and con's of raising grain and how to rotate your crops in a healthy and logical manner. I can't wait to try growing my own chicken feed for next year. I'd definitely recommend this book as a great resource tool to anyone interested in growing their own grains, even for a home garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small scale grain raising, March 14, 2010
An excellent description of how small scale grains (corn,wheat,sorgums,oats,dry beans,rye,barely,buckwheat,millet and legumes can be grown for both human and livestock consumption. Logsdon, the consummate farmer and sustainable agricultural advocate, explains not only the planting and harvesting methodologies for each grain, but also gives insight into equipment and storage as well as rotational uses. Together with his All Flesh is Grass, this book provides a great deal of information on the topic for one with small acreage who wants both efficiency and sufficiency for producing these crops. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›