Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it A. Sinclair Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

on May 13, 2010
I love this book. The few minutes it takes each day for me to read the daily piece makes an amazing difference. I enjoy those few minutes over a cup of coffee; they focus my day. The small tasks each day are so easy, but every single one has been a blessing. This is a book I will be gifting to every Catholic mom I know. We are all busy, but everyone can find a couple of minutes to read one short page a day. That's what I love about it. I always have a minute to spare for it and I'm thankful for those minutes because of how much more peaceful I feel after them.
VINE VOICEon June 11, 2010
Small Steps isn't a tome about how you can be more of a super-mom. This isn't a book that will unlock the secrets of momhood and give you the elixir of needing less sleep.

What you'll find, which is better, is a daily dose of inspiration, wisdom, and encouragement from women who know how lonely and hopeless it can be in the trenches of motherhood. This isn't preaching, this is touching and giving in the most beautiful of Catholic traditions. This is a cup of tea with friends, a hug from a fellow trooper, an embrace from God Himself.

In Small Steps, you get just what it says: a quote from a saint, a short prayer, and a to-do item. Every month is centered around a virtue, and the companion journal gives you a chance to jot notes and reflect more deeply about that virtue, even as each day of that month takes you on a small step toward that virtue.

This book couldn't have come at a better time for me. Early in my current pregnancy, I was hugging toilets and buckets and trashcans every morning. My prayer time was slashed in favor of sleep. By the time the kids woke me up, that precious quiet time was...gone. By the time the kids were in bed at night, I was collapsing along with them.

Small Steps is a lesson for all of us: we don't reach sainthood in giant leaps, unless we look back over our entire lives. Instead, the road to heaven is a series of moments, of small steps we take, holding on tight to the hands of those who have gone before us and who are carrying us when we fall.
on May 13, 2010
This is a great, easy-to-read book. I am a mom of two littles, so I don't get a lot of private time. The short, one-page daily reads are a real blessing. And the companion journal is worth it to. It really gets me thinking.
on September 22, 2010
SMALL STEPS encourages busy mothers to use minds, hearts, and hands -- every day -- in the pursuit of our vocation. A heartening, schedule-friendly book that will boost your spirits on the bad days and help you to fly even higher on the good ones.
on March 25, 2011
"Small Steps..." is a beautifully written book, designed for busy mothers seeking to spend the fleeting moments of alone time they have each day working towards sanctity. Twelve virtues are focused on in this book, one virtue for each month of the year-- January: Joy, February: Simplicity, March: Sacrifice, April: Courage, May: Grace, June: Gentleness, July: Humility, August: Charity, September: Diligence, October: Patience, November: Gratitude, December: Peace. However, the authors encourage you to begin wherever you feel you need to. The daily "steps" are truly written by women who understand that when you have children and a household to care for, you don't have ample time to yourself; thus each day's steps truly are small, yet incredibly meaningful. Each day is divided into three sections:
~ Think: An inspirational quote or verse.
~ Pray: A short prayer you can say by itself, or use as a guide.
~ Act: Realistic ideas for you to practice the virtue in focus.
Any mother looking for daily inspiration and spiritual guidance will benefit from "Small Steps for Catholic Moms", even those who aren't Catholic.
on December 14, 2011
I wish I were disciplined enough to make myself sit down with this each day and spend 5-10 minutes focusing on myself and on the task that this book recommends for the day. It really doesn't take long and is so rewarding when you do. You have a moment to reflect on God's many gifts to us, even in the seemingly mundane or ho-hum tasks required of each of us who are running a family, holding down a job, etc. Not each "act" is something I can do each day (for example, some days it might instruct you to visit a nursing home with your kids and sing to the residents) but on days that the activity is impractical, I try to substitute something similar.

All in all, a very useful book for helping busy women find 5 minutes to focus on the divine and bring more faith into our lives.
on November 9, 2015
If you tried to do all the things suggested in this book, you'd drive yourself crazy. "Host a back to school crafternoon." That is one action item! Dude- that is not a one day action item for most busy moms!!! I found the meditations kind of basic and many of the action points overwhelming. Not simple things I could do in 1 day. There are many much better Catholic mom devotionals. I sold this book after trying it out for a couple months.
on February 13, 2011
This devotional is perfect for the busy mom (Catholic or not!). There are quotes from Saints, but that's all I've found to be "Catholic". I was raised Lutheran. Each page has a quote or bible verse, a prayer, and an "action" (something or an idea to do each day)- easily modified. Don't worry, each day doesn't really depend on reading another, so you can read a few days back if you miss a day or two (busy mommies don't always get the 5 min. a day it takes...I know!) I bought this for a fellow mommy for her daughter's baptism day. I already had it because my bible study group uses this as our common devotional. We all LOVE it!
on April 8, 2012
I love this book. I don't remember to do it every day, but it has a scripture Or quote by a saint or holy person, prayer and an idea to bring this out in your day. You can spend a minute or two in the morning to turn your heart to God while the coffee is brewing. I really enjoy it.
on April 11, 2011
I got this gift for a friend's birthday, along with the companion journal. It was a big hit...everyone loved the concept of the easy and straightforward meditation/reflections each day...with concrete means to form the virtue of the month.

The companion journal, though, is the one with the essays about the virtues by Danielle Bean and Elizabeth Foss. The book, however, just has the "Think, Pray, Act" each day...no explanation of the virtue. I would have liked to see both of these combined in the same book...even if the companion journal was just in the back section of the book.

Otherwise, what a great gift...especially for a mom of young children who struggles to find the time to pray.