Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 2, 2012
I have a friend who hates "social justice" books because they are so guilt-inducing, overwhelming and depressing. Often this is true. But not with this gem. In "Small Things with Great Love," Starbuck offers ways we can live out God's calling to love our neighbors (which includes the calling to seek justice, live mercy etc.) without laying on the guilt, without overwhelming or depressing us. In fact, I laughed out loud repeatedly through the book.

Rather than making "do-gooding" something burdensome to add to the great to-do list of life, Starbuck presents loving our neighbors as a grand adventure. And she constructs the book that it is a choose-your-own adventure sort of read. Both of which make this a satisfying, inspiring, entertaining read.
on April 16, 2012
This is such a great book. The title says it all.

Favorite parts:

At the end of every chapter you could choose your own adventure. Starbuck suggested different chapters based on various criteria. I appreciated that she broke down personality types and gave specific tips on how extroverts and introverts might choose to reach out and the strengths each "type" brings. Her acknowledgment of the challenges she and her husband have navigated was great too, especially her realization that she blamed him for holding her back..until she figured out that was a big excuse. This was funny and real.

"Small Things" is practical and inspiring, a great combination.
on January 13, 2012
I was at a party over the holidays and a smart-reader friend, whom I will read ANYTHING she suggests, shouts over the crowd,"I just finished the best book, you have GOT to read!"I shouted back,"Title?" She says, "Small Things with Great Love" and added,"I bought every copy my bookstore had for everyone for Christmas!" Needless to say, I ordered it. You should too! Fresh writing, real perspective, doable acts of love.
on February 4, 2012
With a blend of seriousness and humor, the author succeeds in educating the reader in ways to love your neighbor. She guides you through the book down a path that best suits your profile suggesting that you read the whole book or only the chapters that are most pertinent to your life. She gives a multitude of suggestions ranging from the simple to the complex and encourages you to enlarge your "love quotient". I am a ardent believer in the concepts she introduces and supports so I would want EVERYONE to not only read it but to do it! It has certainly affected my thinking and I hope my actions.
on June 18, 2013
This is a great book and very fun to read with its "pick your own adventure" style. It leads you through very thought-provoking ways to reach out to the world around you in ALL stages of life and responsibilities. I enjoyed Starbuck's writing style- very light hearted with funny stories interspersed but at the same time convicting and inspiring.
I have recommended this to all my friends.
on December 10, 2012
I really enjoyed the positive enthusiasm Starbuck had for interacting with our world practicing small acts of love toward everyone we come in contact with.The book is clearly written for people with means, and did not seem to address questions of the social structures that contribute to difficult situations. I found it to be encouraging but too simplistic.
on December 22, 2011
Margot Starbuck's latest book is a gift, a challenge, and a great read all at once. Margot brings Matthew 25:40 - what we do for the least of our brothers and sisters, we also do to our God - to life, vividly, in this humor-laden, practical, and action-provoking translation to life in the suburban bubble. It's a rocking-out kick in the backside that you'll read at least twice, and you won't look at your neighborhood the same way afterwards.
on May 23, 2013
Margot begins by telling us her short comings in blessing the world around her. From there she lightly weaves through +314 ideas on loving your neighbor using anecdotes and real life examples. She claims she doesn't want to guilt you into adding a million service projects to your life, and she doesn't. She talks about ordinary serving, outside the box serving, but nothing "turn your life upside down" radical. I know for most people this is a good thing. With multiple children, and incorporating multiple schedules; they have stretched budgets, stretched means, and stretched minutes. Her prose is light and it's almost like hearing someone tell a story with a million examples. She covers spending time when you don't have it, being ok with "Enough", and putting money down wisely.

To see the full review go to www.doinglifebetter.org/2013/05/23/smallthings_greatlove
on February 15, 2013
Fabulous author! Margot Starbuck writes in a way that is understandable, humorous, and very relatable. This is the third book of hers I have read, and each one challenges the reader to think and grow. I've enjoyed each one tremendously. I can't wait for her fourth book- I've already prebought it!
on January 13, 2012
I've read (and loved, and stayed up way too late when I'm in the middle of them) three books by Margot Starbuck in the past six months. As in her first two books, Starbuck tells the truth, makes me laugh, and imparts great wisdom and kindness in Small Things with Great Love. She is helping to bring about a world in which people are more present, more happy, and more generous with each other. Thank you Margot Starbuck!!!