* Metivier is an expert in the field of pdes/math physics, with a particular emphasis on shock waves.
* New monograph focuses on mathematical methods, models, and applications of boundary layers, present in many problems of physics, engineering, fluid mechanics.
* Metivier has good Birkhauser track record: one of the main authors of "Advances in the Theory of Shock Waves" (Freistuehler/Szepessy, eds, 4187-4).
* Manuscript endorsed by N. Bellomo, MSSET series editor...should be a good sell to members of MSSET community, who by-in-large are based in Europe.
* Included are self-contained introductions to different topics such as hyperbolic boundary value problems, parabolic systems, WKB methods, construction of profiles, introduction to the theory of Evans’ functions, and energy methods with Kreiss’ symmetrizers.