4.0 out of 5 stars Legacy
Before battling the forces of evil, Clark Kent faced his greatest challenge: high school. The WB's engaging hit drama has finally arrived on DVD. A devastating meteor shower strikes the peaceful town of Smallville. For most of the townsfolk, the event brought great losses and unexplainable results, but for the caring Kent Family (John Schneider & Annette O'Toole), it...
Published on November 5, 2003 by R. J Rey

3.0 out of 5 stars Watchable, but not great - comparing Smallville to Buffy
Smallville caught my attention being aired next to Angel, but as I hate jumping in in the middle, I checked the rave reviews here and on that basis decided to get the dvd. An important note here is that I'm a Buffy fan - if you are, too, I'm sure you'll find this review quite helpful. If not, you may want to skip it. Further, I'm 32, and my other favorite shows are...
Published on April 26, 2004 by Sasja Frahm Olesen

‹ Previous | 135 36 3748 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Reworking--Even from A Traditionalist's Point of VIew, November 25, 2007
Rei Shinozuka (Ridgewood, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
Having followed Superman since the George Reeves TV show, and the comics from the 60's, and the first couple of Christopher Reeves films. I'm pretty generally happy with the genre. I've sort of fallen off the reinventions of Superman, haven't seen the Lois and Clark, and the new movie with Kevin Spacey.

I originally stayed away from Smallville because the advertising made it appear racier than it turned out, and furthermore the crucifixion imagery was a bit disturbing.

I finally bought this set because I thought it might bring a contemporary feel my 10-year old son would appreciate. What I found impressed me quite a bit, especially the pilot episode. Rather than retell the Superman story, the assumption is that the viewer is fully acquainted with the lore. Thus they don't need to reenact the entire Superman myth, from Krypton and so on. I imagine more of the backstory will come out over time (I've only see the first 3 episodes). There's a healthy dose of X-Files moodiness around some of the antagonists who appear in the episodes.

What makes me think the series is a success is when my kids said "I thought Lex Luthor and Superman were enemies... what happened." And I told them: "That's what makes it so compelling--you see how they meet, and you know from the lore where they end up, but exactly how and over what time their relationships is going to be very interesting." And that anticipation is what makes me want to keep watching the show.

I should add the acting very good all around, and it's really nice to see familiar faces like John Schneider and Annette O'Toole (back from Superman III in a new role).

5.0 out of 5 stars Superman-From the Beginning, September 14, 2004
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
This series starts out w/ meteors coming to earth. The meteors land in a small kansas town called smallville. A spaceship crashes and is found by Jonathan and Martha Kent. And smallville begins....Clark was the child from space and is now a freshman in high school w/ some super abilities. His powers include (at this point) the ability torun fast, have super strength, and x-ray vision. Every episode except for about 3 or 4 clark must stop a kryptonite freak, that is a person whose dna has been altered by the meteor rocks. It is up to Clark to stop them all. At school his friends are Chloe, the school reporter, Pete Ross, Clark's best friends, and Lana, the girl who he loves but can't be w/ because of Whitney, Lana's boyfriend. Also in an ironic twist of fate, Lex Luthor, his future nemesis, is friends w/ him in this show. The writing is excellent and the special effects are awesome. Some special effects shots include the meteor rocks raining over smallville, Clark getting hit by lightning, super-fast mode(a rip off of the matrix) which still works well in this show, and a tornado in the seasons jaw-dropping finale. episode are in order: pilot, metamorphosis, hothead, x-ray, cool, hourglass, craving, jitters, rogue, shimmer, hug, leech, kinetic, zero, nicodemus, stray, reaper, drone, crush, obscura, and tempest. Some hightlights of this season are of course the pilot w/ the opening sequence, tempest, great ending to the season that will want everyone who bought this to go buy season 2, and many other episodes. Extras are deleted scenes from the first 2 eps. and commentaries plus more. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great show!, July 30, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
I admit it, I was skeptical about the show's premise at first, but after watching it, Smallville became one of my favorite shows. It has the drama, the humor, the great writing and great cast. Smallville is the type of show that the whole family could watch together, and there's something in each episode for everyone. Tom Welling, of course, is eye candy and he's perfectly cast as the pre-flying Superman. He shows a lot of sensitivity, but he does not overplay a scene. Michael Rosenbaum has a lot of charisma, and it's always interesting when he's in a scene. One anxiously awaits his next moves because one does not know if he's going to do something bad or good. John Schneider & the woman who plays Clark Kent's mom are both wonderful actors also. I'm glad to see John Schneider on TV again; he still looks great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 15, 2014
Can't wait to get the next season!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER DUPER, December 21, 2005
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
I have always been a fan of Superman. The creator of this series has done a excellent job in creating this show. It is like xfiles meets superman. I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Season Is Awesome!, October 4, 2003
Rich Grossmann (Walton, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
No commercials, extraordinary graphics & color. Great music and characters. Kind of like Lay's Potatoe Chips, it's hard to sit and watch just ONE episode.

5.0 out of 5 stars SMALLVILLE SEASON ONE, October 16, 2003
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
Clark Kent's journey to becoming Superman is the most intriguing show on television. Lex's foreshadowing of his eventual villainy is intriguing. Clark and Lana's relationship is young love at its strongest and weakest moments. Chloe and Clark's friendship is a passionate and heart-rendering tale. SMALLVILLE is the show that mixes not only action, suspense, and drama, but romance, foreshdaowing, and mystery. All this, plus BRILLIANT writing, exceptional acting, and incredibly moving music make this my favorite show on tv. The first season is a great introduction tot he show. Clark and Lex begin as friends. Clark pines after Lana. What Clark doesn't see is that Chloe and Lana are both for him, the perfect combination of journalistic drive and sensitivity. The episodes that are the real highlights of this season, in my opinion, are the following:
"Pilot"-An intro to the characters and a retelling of the classic tale of Superman.
"Cool"-A relatable and heart-rendering episode. The episode that got me absolutely hooked!!
"Zero"-A foreshadowing, thrilling episode about Lex's past. And the impact his past may have on his future.
"Nicodemous"-Lana at her sexiest!
"Tempest"-A thrilling cliffhanger.
The DVD features are great. I recommend this for fans of the show, and of Superman, and, basically, I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smallville, Series, October 7, 2002
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
The show gives those who were once small chrildren but older now. This is a view of a story about the MAN OF STEEL a town hero. It takes those who knew little about the boy and his child hood. Smallville a story of Clark Kent know to us as Superman, in his child hood years. For those who were once kids but now adults, who followed the Man of Steel this is a treat. Movie after Movie and show to show this gives us a look at the boy who is learning to grow and control what he learns about himself. Fans know what he can do but never did we know how he learned of it or how to wield it. This gives us the chance to see it in an evolution state. From those who are young to us older fans we all will enjoy the new story of Superman.
The best thing is how he grows in the show with each episode, filled of dilemmas among those the chance to experience his new powers. There is so much mystery still to reveal to the true fans keeping us hanging on for the next show. No new series will take you where this one will for those who watch the show or the few who just tune in. No words can express the show entirely. For fans I leave this weather you tune in now or have been there since the beginning, no other words to speak besides WATCH in AMAZEMENT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have NOW!!!, July 10, 2003
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
Smallville is a great show, at first I was'nt a big SuperMan fan but after seeing Smallville when it first appeared on t.v. I was wow, SuperMan kicks butt. Tom, Kristin, and the rest of the cast are great, I love the plots and how it tells about how clark gains his abilities and even though he is the man of steel, he can be hurt pretty bad by seeing the ones he loves get hurt. Well it is a great show and I watch it all the time, and can't wait for the next season and hope all of them come out on dvd, or vhs. And btw Kristin Kreuk is just an amazing actress and so beautiful. I would give everything I havejust to be able to get to know her personaly. Anyways BUY BUY BUY this!!

5.0 out of 5 stars SMALLVILLE!!!!, November 21, 2003
This review is from: Smallville: Season 1 (DVD)
It's Great!, When does season 2 come out? They need to hurry with it.

‹ Previous | 135 36 3748 | Next ›

Smallville: Season 1
Smallville: Season 1 by Tom Welling (DVD - 2003)
$34.96 $15.49