on June 8, 2010
It's hard to believe that this show has gone on for 9 years, but the writing and the acting just keep getting better. Just like the last season, Clark Kent is one step closer to his destiny as Superman. The big overarching plot this season was the threat of the Kandorians, led by Major Zod. Smallville fans will recognize the name, if not the rank, of the big bad guy. That's because he's a clone of the evil traitor who tried to overthrow Krypton around the time Kal-El (Clark) was born. So he's going to be the worst villian in Kryptonian history, maybe. It's the reoccuring Smallville theme of destiny and fate. If you are destined to do something, do you do it or make your own destiny? Clark has been told since season 1 that he is destined to be this great hero and champion and symbol of hope. Most of the main plots of every season are about Clark finding out about his destiny and what he does to either embrace it or fight against it. So it is with the bad guys. Lex Luthor is destined to be Superman's arch-enemy. So even though we saw 5-6 seasons of Lex trying to overcome his dark nature and maintain some kind of friendship with Clark, we knew he was eventually going to be bad. Same with Davis Bloome, aka Doomsday. He was trying to fight his nature of being the ultimate destroyer. But ultimately, he, too, had to succomb to his destiny. In this season, it is Zod. This "Major Zod" has not made all the bad choices that "General Zod" did back on Krypton. But we know what he is to become. Will he make the same choices or will he change his fate?

The main highlights for me were the so-called "filler" episodes that focused more on Lois and Clark's budding relationship than on the threat of the Kandorians. What I like about the writing is the continual shout-outs to fans of Superman, comics, and TV/Movies. Like the "Resident Evil" episode (#3 Rabid), the "What a Woman Wants" episode (#4 Echo), "the Game" episode (#5 Roulette), the "He said/She said" episode (#6 Crossfire), and the "Big" episode (#12 Warrior). For comic book fans, they converted an old Hawkeye story for Green Arrow (#10 Disciple) and brought Metallo, Silver Banshee, and the JSA all into the Smallville story.

Something must be said about the black costume. Clark has embraced his heroic destiny by saving people, just not openly. So he is no longer the "Red-Blue Blur", just "the Blur". The Black costume represents his keeping to the shadows. When he finally reveals himself to the world as "Superman", he will likely change his costume into the red, blue, and gold costume we are familiar with. He's close, but not quite there yet.

As with any long running show, there are elements that some people don't like. Some people dislike the unique elements where Smallville differs from regular Superman lore. They want the show to move faster towards the classic tales that we know and love. Others dislike rehashing the old Superman mythos and want Smallville to remain true to the unique stories they created and not cave to pressure to become "the Adventures of Superman" or "Lois and Clark". I think Season 9 balances those two viewpoints well. Fans of the show will enjoy most, if not all of it. And if you haven't watched Smallville before, go back and watch all previous 8 seasons. It is well-worth the investment of time and money.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 23, 2010
I am ECSTATIC that Smallville has been renewed for Season 10! Not only is it good entertainment, but it's a refreshing diversion from all the murder/mystery solving cop shows and vampire shows we have been inundated with (excluding The Mentalist) of course. :)

I have all seasons of Smallville on DVD and really enjoy watching it again and again from Episode 1. There's great chemistry between Clark and Lois..Clark gets to let his guard down and be real, and Lois...well, Erica Durance is the PERFECT choice for Lois...she cracks me up! It's just fun watching them together. Chloe and Oliver have great chemistry, as well..I'm liking it. :)

You know, whether or not Clark wears the tights and red cape and flies is really up to the writers, and I have read somewhere that if and when this happens, it will be at the end of Season 10...can't wait!! Tom Welling, is the PERFECT Clark Kent...he's big and strong, and has the perfect looks...actually, he's one of the most beautiful men to ever walk the earth.

I hate that the bashers, with 1 star ratings, have brought Smallville's ratings down....it's an AMAZING show with absolutely AMAZING actors...ZOD, TESS, OLIVER, LEX, LIONEL, MARTHA, JOHN...I could go on and on.

As I said, I can't WAIT for Season 10. A lot of characters will be returning and lot's of good (and bad) things happening...it should be good, fun entertainment, and well deserving of a 5-Star rating!
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 16, 2010
I have stuck with this show from the beginning, and now I am torn about how I feel. The show looks fantastic as always; all of the scenes and shots look amazing. The acting is not the problem. All of the cast are doing a great job. There are several annoying problems with the storyline that prevent me from really enjoying this.
First, Clark should be able to fly by now. I know, I know, there was that "no flights, no tights" rule back in 2001. I also know that no one then could have guessed that this show would have made it nine seasons. Kara is a teenager and she can fly. Clark is about 24 by now, so he should be able to fly.
Second, there are so many twists and turns in the plot that you would need a notebook and a flowchart to keep track of it all. I miss the early years when all you had to keep track of was how evil Lex was this week, and the freak of the week that would either be dead or in the loony bin by the end of the episode.
Also, is Oliver's secret the worst kept secret in all of Metropolis? Even Lois knows that one. It seems he's pretty casual about admitting who he is.
Now that I've complained, here's what I liked about this season. I did like the "Absolute Justice" two-parter. Even though I had not even heard of any of the comic book heroes in it, I still enjoyed it a lot. I like Lois and Clark's romance progressing, and I also like that Lois figured out Clark's secret. Thankfully they did not drag out the angst as much as with Lana. Major Zod actually was a better addition than I thought he would be. The "is he evil or not" uncertainty was interesting.
So, for season 10, the last one, I get the feeling that they are going to let it all hang out; pull out all the stops and go for broke. I think it will be the best one yet. My questions are, how long will we have to wait to see Clark flying? How will anyone be fooled by Clark's disguise of a pair of glasses, when he has not worn them for all these years? How long until Lois clues Clark in that she knows his secret? It'll be interesting to find out.
on August 13, 2013
Some people will say that this show fell off after the 5-6 season and it indeed did lose a lot of its viewers during those seasons. However I think that seasons 8-10 were actually really good and I have watched every episode and bought every season. This season is really quite good and it really positions Clark to getting ready to don the red cape. If you were a fan of earlier seasons and stopped following the show I would really give the later seasons (after the awful season 7 super girl debacle) another chance.
on August 1, 2010
I've watched Smallville since the beginning. I'm really glad there's going to be a 10th season, but I hope there will be more.

The Lana drama is over since last season(two season to late). I really feel that she dragged the show down after a certain point, as her story became more about the men she dated and the drama associated with them.

For me the show took on a new life, a fresher one this season. The Lois and Clark drama finally took full swing this season, something long awaited since season 4.

All of the allusions to the comics are great. This is the show that led me into the rabbit hole of DC comics. I've seen nearly every single Superhero movie out there now. And I've read a good many comics starting at Identity Crisis.

I hoped they would show more of the Justice League, and loved the Absolute Justice story line this season. The acting is fantastic. Such a great cast fueled this season, and I'm glad they're mostly coming back.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 9, 2013
I haven't finished watching this, but my current comment is such: it's getting better AND worse.

There are points throughout this series where you feel like you're getting a *fresh* glimpse into the Superman mythos, and there have been times where it seemed as though the creators are blatantly fighting for every female viewer they could. No offense, ladies, but the generic male audience isn't as concerned with the myriad love triangles throughout the series, and giving the women in Clark Kent's life the ability to go through time, or train to be assassins... well, it's a departure. I can see why people were so turned off by this series as a whole.

That said, the middle seasons of this series tended to go further "out there" and gave fans the basis for what is happening in these later seasons. It's not so much that we watch this and have a sudden moment of clarity (there aren't many "THAT'S why that happened two seasons ago!" moments -- which makes me wonder how much foresight the writers possessed) but we're just more prepared for some of the weirdness that takes place in the 9th season.

Also, it should be noted that there seems to be a heavy Buffy/Whedon influence by this point.One-off episodes are sprinkled throughout, and while they're tapping into at-the-moment mainstream, these episodes are written into the storyline.

This review is meandering! Argh. But it's befitting for this item.

My recommendation: if you enjoyed the past few seasons, this season is a step up. If you disliked the last few, but enjoyed the first few? Well, you're probably not watching anymore... but, if you are, there's a SLIGHT uptick in terms of interesting episodes and semi-cohesive weirdness.
on November 26, 2010
I used to comment on another series, Bones, regarding how they were able to make you laugh one minute and cry the next...how it was rare to make you feel a multitude of emotions in one episode. Smallville does this a lot...and this is one episode representative of that. It just shows me how good the writers are...how they can have such an imagination to include light hearted moments with dark moments in 43 minutes. I simply like good storytelling and Smallville has it. People may judge and say...oh...it's silly or overly dramatic...but you need to sit back and just take it all in and enjoy the wide range of emotions they bring out of you. Don't be critical of it...don't dissect it...just enjoy it for what it is a story that is dramatic, romantic, funny and silly and just plain fun. Lois provided the light hearted moment as she was hypnotized by Clark accidentally into becoming a 1950's domesticated woman who's only purpose was to take care of her man. Erica Durance pulled this off pretty darn well and Clark/Tom Welling struggle with the craziness of it all. Meanwhile...Zod is never far from providing "danger" and darkness to this drama. Clark having to navigate between Lois and Zod in one episode was a pretty difficult thing to do...but he did. And it culminated in Clark taking matters into his own hands...destroying Zod's tower. That final scene with Clark destroying the tower with fire flowing out of his eyes...is one of my favorite scenes in the series. He is rarely pre-emptive in handling danger but this time...he did it. Whether it was the right thing to do..i.e. destroying property...is probably debatable in his eyes...but he did it nonetheless. To some..it was the only solution to Zod. I loved the special effects...I love the music in the background...I just loved how powerful Clark Kent seemed in that final scene...it was exciting. Truthfully...I don't know how you can't enjoy this series...you have to be hyper critical to not enjoy it...because it is simply good storytelling...some of the best in TV land. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SHOW.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2011
This has to be best season in Smallville's history. The main protagonists in Season 9 are Major Zod and his army of Kandorians We finally see Zod, even though its a younger version of him (Major Zod, a clone, who's DNA was taken years before he became the evil conquerer General Zod, who destroyed Krypton). He's basically a replacement for the Smallville version Lex Luthor, who like 'Major', we see before he became the archnemesis of Superman. Last time we saw Zod was the season finale for Season 5 and premiere for Season 6, in that he possessed Lex Luthor and was easily defeated by Clark in a 3 minute fight where at the end he was banished to the Phantom Zone. (This was very disappointing to fans, as Zod is this great villian and was easily disposed of, and in the form of Lex. Don't get me started on how easily Darkseid was defeated in Season 10! Darkseid is a demigod, and he was defeated so...nevermind)
Clark finally wears a REAL COSTUME (not the red jacket/blue t-shirt deal. And I like the black costume over the red leather jacket costume in Season 10! He looks like Flash Gordon with an S on his chest! ) The Blur's black costume is reminiscent of Superman's black Kryptonian costume from the comics (and perhaps from the Tim Burton version when he was picked to direct 'Superman Lives', the cancelled movie where Superman wore an all black costume) and we finally see him wearing his family crest (the 'S') on his chest. The whole back and forth with Clark and Zod was very similar with Clark's relationship with Lex, as they befriended each other at first (although Clark is never truly trusting of Zod, knowing what his older self turned into)
Clark and Lois' romantic relationship develops, we are introduced to Metallo, we see more of Green Arrow and meet his new sidekick Mia (known as Speedy in the comics), we see Jor-EL in the flesh and Krypton in the episode 'Kandor', (which shows the friendship Jor-EL and Zod had, similar to Clark and Lex)and we meet the Justice Society of America (Featuring a super hero cast of Hawkman, Dr.Fate, Stargirl, Star-Spangled Kid, Sandman, and villian Icicle). And finally, behind the scenes we see Checkmate, the secret government organization bent on taking down superhumans, believing they are a major threat to mankind.
Overall, a huge improvement on the disappointment of Season 8 (the Doomsday storyline, very poor writing, many holes in the plot, terrible climax! And why get rid of Jimmy?) and in my opinion better than any other season, including Season 10.
Just one complaint I have about ALL of Smallville's episodes: The human characters have had to have MULTIPLE CONCUSSIONS as they have been thrown across rooms so many times and have been knocked unconscious! And they have been in Smallville and Metropolis Hospitals MULTIPLE times, with HUNDREDS of injuries! Where are the scars? Human characters like Chloe, Lana, Lois, Lex, Oliver, Tess, Jimmy, Martha, etc.. have ALL had injuries to their body and face, yet they have no scars!? Hmmm....
VINE VOICEon September 16, 2010
Having cruised through the DVDs already, the ninth season is a good one. The overall season arc of the Kandorians under Major Zod is not as strong as some prior seasons' storylines, but this season's true gems are the budding romance between Clark and Lois and the high quality of the individual episodes. The quest to stop the future that Lois is returning keeps popping up as well, along with character arcs for Oliver Queen and his Green Arrow persona and a seeming disregard for civil liberties by Chloe Sullivan.

In particular, we start getting more of the characters from the DC Universe making their appearances. We get a classic Superman villain in Metallo, though they might have chosen a better actor to play this kryptonite-hearted baddie. Still, the character design was nice, typically with a Smallville flavor instead of being a direct translation of the comic version. The Justice Society, at least in part, makes an appearance that stops the presses at the midpoint of the season. We also get the Martian Manhunter, who is far too underused for an actor of Phil Morris' caliber, doing his cavalry impersonation, which is nice. Even the Wonder Twins, much improved over their old Superfriends cartoon incarnation, though still bumbling in their hero worship, play a part in this season.

The special features are nowhere near as good as in prior seasons. There are deleted scenes from 8 of the 21 episodes, but most of these are just a few seconds. The commentaries are OK, but again, without the liveliness of the early sets, and far less entertaining. Still, the discs are good transfers of the episodes, which is the primary purpose. While some blooper reels would be nice, or perhaps some more cut scenes and more actors on the commentaries, there's not much one could do to improve this set. (It's so nice to have a "Play" option and not have to go to each episode's individual menu to play them, which too many shows still do on their DVDs.)
on September 15, 2010
The World needs protection and Clark Kent is the right hero for the job in "Smallville: The Complete Ninth Season". In order to focus on his training and protect the citizens of Metropolis, Clark Kent (Tom Welling) has distanced himself from those he cares most, but all things change when Lois Lane (Erica Durance) returns from the future with no memories of where she's been for the past weeks. Her return is not the only big surprise for Clark as the villainous Zod (Callum Blue) and a legion of loyal followers have been released from a mysterious black orb and attempt to gain their true kryptonian powers. Despite Clark's best efforts to help the visitors and prevent the destruction of Earth, Zod's true nature comes clear and lures Lois into his schemes. Clark will also cross paths with the enchanting Zatanna, the troublesome Wonder Twins and the legendary Justice Society of America. "Smallville" is the popular live-action comic book series that follows the adventures of a young Clark Kent during the years before he becomes Superman. With its engaging season-long story arc and the introduction of many DC Comic characters, the ninth season is certainly one of the most amusing of the entire series.

"Smallville: The Complete Ninth Season" is certainly a well recommended purchase for any fan of the series. All 21 episodes are presented in a 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen format. The picture quality is certainly a noticeable improvement over the Blu-ray releases of the sixth, seventh and eighth seasons. Unfortunately, its 5.1 Dolby Digital audio track isn't as spectacular, but still offers a pleasant audio experience. Among its two-and-a-half hours of special features, it includes audio commentary track with show's cast and crew on two episodes (Kandor & Idol), two indepth comic book featurettes (Kneel Before Zod & Absolute Justice: From Script to Screen) and nine minutes of deleted scenes. Overall, " Smallville: The Complete Ninth Season " scores a "B".