on September 14, 2009
I purchased my first Power On Board 25 Amp Fully Automatic Battery Charger from Sam's Club for ten dollars more than the current Amazon price including shipping. The device, alternatively marketed as a Vector or Black & Decker product, requires only a single button push to automatically select the proper charging rate for the attached battery. The peak charge rate is 25A, but the unit can also pump out 75A for up to 1.5 minutes to jumpstart your car.

Lead-acid batteries that have remained in a discharged state for a long time internally build up lead sulfate which can inhibit normal charging. This charger has an operating mode designed to recondition sulfated batteries.

A cooling fan runs while charging, but turns off when charging is complete. The unit then automatically switches to float mode to maintain the battery at full charge. This is very important not only for convenience, but also to prolong battery life. Since the fan turns off after topping off the battery, it works well for building up relatively inexpensive, large capacity, indoor UPSs built around deep cycle batteries (make sure that the battery area is well ventilated and place the battery on an acid resistant drip pan to prevent damaging the floor).

The lightweight, compact, microprocessor controlled charger features a backlit, scrolling LCD display that provides charge rates, status messages and battery diagnostic information. The device is built well, especially considering its low price. The battery clamps have copper contacts and the cabling is heavy gauge. All cables can be stowed inside the charger.

From my experience with the Power On Board 25 Amp Fully Automatic Battery Charger, the device is an outstanding bargain.

EDIT April 4, 2011: The charger has more than doubled in price since the time I wrote this review, so keep that in mind when considering it since there are other good chargers in this much higher price range.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 27, 2010
The charger desulfate (reconditioning) feature saved my car battery. I didn't use my vehicle for awhile and the battery was dead, not even power for the glove compartment light. The battery warranty was still good for two more years so I decided to buy a charger that had the battery recondition (desulfate) feature.

Lead sulfate forms on the battery plates if the battery is discharged for some time which makes the battery difficult to recharge. Reconditioning dissolves the sulfate.

It first gave "Internal Shorted Cell Battery" warning which recommends evaluation by a battery repair store. I ignored the message and gave the battery a 20 minute charge as part of the reconditioning procedure then tried the recondition feature again. The reconditioning process took over and twenty four hours later, the battery was fully charged.

Tips: Almost all lead acid batteries evaporate water from the cells, even the low or free maintenance batteries. Mine was low maintenance so I cleaned the top of the battery and the posts, took a flat head screwdriver and popped the two caps off to reveal the reservoirs. I filled them up with distilled water then slapped the caps back on. Unless you know what you are doing, let someone knowledgeable do it because of the battery acid danger.

Other comments not mentioned in product description up above: the instructions weren't very clear because of all the warnings and cautionary statements about safety; the first two pages were warnings. I sat down and took a highlighter to note the necessary instructions. I never tried the 75 amp jump start feature or the alternator diagnostic feature. The battery cables and clamps store neatly in the unit compartment. The fan is a bit noisy but tolerable and who cares if it's in your garage. It has a microprocessor that controls the charge rate settings and compensates for any extension cords you may use. The charger is lightweight but the casing is rugged plastic. I've had it for six months and I have no complaints about it.
on September 25, 2010
I've used this for about a year now for regular battery maintenance of 3 cars. One is my regular car, one is in storage 7 months a year and the other is driven about once a week. This value packed charger has performed as expected. I had a small 12V lead acid battery backup malfunction on my phone system from Verizon and found they are not responsible for replacing it and a new one would have cost me about $50. I thought why not try this charger recondition function. After 24 hrs on this charger reconditioning the battery voltage was restored to normal and when replaced over 6 months ago the battery has been functioning and the annoying beeping from the system has not returned. I then decided to use the reconditioning function on two of my car batteries that were over 6 years old and I'll see if they last longer. I think they are improved and the charge doesn't decrease as quickly when not in daily use. Finally I used it on a long dead battery in my garage and no amount of reconditioning restored it. That battery had so much sulfate you could see it between the cells plates, no surprise too far gone dead for over 5 years RIP.
on February 25, 2011
I was a little skeptical at first cause of the price but after having used this charger, its well worth the value. My Schumacher that crapped out on me after 2 yrs had half the features for double the price and my battery tender which crapped out after 3, had no features for the same price. This is my second vector battery charger. The first was a vector 1089A still going strong after 3 yrs and I like this one even more.
on April 21, 2010
I have a Shumacher charger that lasted for more than 20 years and a Vector that died after 6 months. As the 50/10/2 amp Schumacher sells for $48 and is a much high quality product it is the one I recommend. Black and Decker used to provide quality consumer products but that is no longer true. The name no longer stands for quality or value.
on April 2, 2013
I first used this charger for my solar system batteries up at my cabin. On cloudy days you can run your batteries less than 50%, which is big NO-NO. If you want a battery to last DON'T use up more than 50% of it's rated 20hour period. Otherwise your battery will be toast in no time. So, after a few years of using it for my solar system, I had to bring it home to use on a dead car battery. Now I will say that a completely dead battery would do it. It said "no battery". But, I threw on my 6 amp charger for 5 minutes and whalha, it took over. I have it on recondition now and it will charge that battery to it's fullest.

AS a regular charger, I used it on a dead car battery and it started charging right away. First used the 75 amp starter thing, twice and it started. But, as I know from solar batteries, when they are really low/dead you want to slowly bring them up and then at about 20% hit them hard and fast. So, I'll check the dead battery in about 15 minutes (the time it took me to write this) and will turn it to 25 amp and I'll have a fresh battery no doubt. I highly recommend this charger. Unfortunately it isn't offered many places anymore. It has been rebranded, repackaged and reduced in quality. So, good luck and happy charging.

I'll keep this one at home and get a 40 amp for the solar system. Needs more juice for 6 x 6volt batteries.
on April 8, 2010
Bought this charger about 9 months ago and have probably charged 15 different batteries with it.
This is a very good charger. It does not fault and shut off with weak batteries.
Will only charge 12v batteries. Have not yet tried it with a really dead battery.
Begins charging at 25 amps but reduces charge rate as the battery charges.
Will quickly reduce the charge rate (to 1.2 amps) for smaller lawn tractor batteries.
Shows the charge rate on 1-line display while charging.
Has a mode to de-sulphate (recondition) an older battery.
This recondition mode runs for 24 hours with fan running.
My only complaint is that the fan is noisy. Paid $50 and consider it well spent.
on April 12, 2010
This is an excellent unit for the price. Worry free operation. Just attach cables to battery. press charge, recondition or test your automobile charging system. Auto shut off. Also has 75 amp boost.. Display tells you what's happening ...built in fan keeps unit cool.
on October 11, 2010
I got an excellent price on this, and even though I own a very old but indestructible Sears battery charger, I picked it up.

Let me tell you, in terms of features, it blows anything away in that size/price range. I specifically liked the features in addition to the regular charging

- Battery reconditioning
I had an old battery sitting around that would no longer hold charge. I pretty much kept it to turn in as trade when I needed to buy another battery in the future. I decided to see if the Vector would revive it. I was pessimistic since I did not think a battery that clearly tests out as bad could be restored easily. Well, yes, yes, it did. After 24 hour reconditioning cycle, I ll be darned but this ancient battery held steady voltage. A couple months later, it is still as 12.9 volts. I just dropped it into a car with a problem battery, and it started right up.
(Guess where the problem battery is now? Right, on the reconditioning cycle)

- FAST charging
Unlike my old charger that took a day or so, this one seems to bring the battery up to acceptable levels in just hours.

- Engine start
I own a cheap but reliable portable jump-starter (everyone should, they are CHEAP, charge lasts for months...) so I did not really need this feature, but I did try it once on a dead car. It works, but kind of slow (cool down period between attempts). In a pinch though, it will get you un-stranded, as long as there is an electrical outlet around!

Bottomline: Excellent value, awesome features.. if I get a couple years out of it I'll be happy. The quality seems OK but it is all plastic and computerized, so use it but don't abuse it. We will see how long it lasts.
on February 4, 2015
This product is has microprocessor so it can analyze your alternator and battery condition. It can desulfate a bad battery with the reconditioning, fast charge or normally change a battery. The battery reconditioning does not always work however. I have had a 50/50% luck de-sulfating a bad battery.