Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on April 12, 2012
Confession: I am not a "cook," (I make the simplest meals for myself and my family), I don't watch cooking shows on TV, and I don't know who most of the famous chefs in the book are. It doesn't matter: their thinking about food, including what to eat, when to eat it, and how to eat in general are really fantastic. It's like getting good philosophy on food and eating from people who've spent decades thinking about such things. Most of the tips are easy to implement, natural and aren't about deprivation. The writing is fresh and fun, you can pick it up anywhere and have a "snack-size" bite of information, and you really don't need to be a "foodie" to enjoy it. Totally recommend!
on April 10, 2012
I do 95% of the cooking at home and strive to serve up healthier and more interesting meals for my family (which these days includes 3 kids under 6). "Smart Chefs Stay Slim" is less of a recipe book than I expected but I love the insight it provides into professional chefs and what, why and how they cook at home. Surrounded by food they have all come up with techniques to moderate caloric intake, better enjoy and simplify the foods they prepare on their own time. There are a lot of commonsense ideas here that work well.
on April 15, 2012
I have taken away so many tips from this book from how to drink my coffee in the AM to making light and tasty meals for me and my family as well as how to be a better shopper. I was eating ALL of my meals out and this book has changed everything. I am now preparing delicious meals at home and am more courageous in the kitchen and willing to try new chili peppers for a little spice. It has also motivated me to go to the Union Square green market and buy better food and snacks to munch on.
on April 30, 2012
A great read - one I keep picking up around the house as it's written in short, pithy chapters and sections. Great "food for thought" about options for healthier eating, in a way that respects the joy of food. Pragmatic ideas, written after interviewing scores of top chefs. I received it as a gift myself, and really enjoyed it - I'm thinking a copy for my mom may be a great mother's day gift!
on May 6, 2012
"Smart Chefs" makes us all smarter about how we can eat healthy and still enjoy great food.
The book provides great understanding into how celebrity chefs deal with their occupational hazard of being around wonderful food all day. The stories were fun, interesting and insightful. Most importantly, I am able to easily apply the "lessons" into my daily dining.
on April 30, 2012
We've all wondered why some chefs are rotund yet others remain svelte? And we pine to be like the lucky ones -- those who spend their days in the kitchen surrounded by delicacies, tasting the gravy, yet remaining lean. Perhaps if you're like me, you find yourself balancing the desire to cook four-course meals, or the urge to bake sweet treats, with the knowledge that those leftovers will call -- collect. "Yoo-hoo! I'm here. Come have a nibble."

At a time when food IS pop culture -- Paula Deen, "Top Chef", "Man vs. Food", "Iron Chef" and "Hell's Kitchen" to name just a fraction -- the time has come for us to hear advice from those in the know. Thankfully, Allison Adato has gathered first-hand tips and tricks from noted chefs on how to celebrate the arts of cooking AND EATING while remaining slim and healthy. Her easy-to-read guide is chock full of helpful advice and recipes we can all use and enjoy, without guilt. Highly recommended for all who love food and food culture, but not the negative health effects of overindulging!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 22, 2013
I received a copy free through Goodreads First Reads.

This is more tips and hints with a few recipes mixed in. I would have loved more recipes to help my fit and slim eating goals. I really love many of the chefs featured in this book. I have tried a few of the salads and found them very delicious. I also loved Matt Bittman's More-vegetable-than-egg Frittata. Nothing really ground breaking of earth shattering diet wise. A lot of common sense but very enjoyable tidbits from the chefs.
on April 12, 2012
Smart Chefs Stay Slim is a fun read and is full of great advice from famous chefs. It has tons of tips on every aspect of cooking, eating, exercising and thinking about food that I can actually incorporate into my life. I have made 2 of the recipes so far, and they were both simple and tasty. I made the white bean stew with Swiss chard and tomatoes for company, and it was a big hit. But the recipes are really a bonus. The meat of the book is the stories from the chefs. I recommend this book for anyone who is interested in having a healthy lifestyle while still enjoying great food.
on August 31, 2012
I love that this lady has found a lot of the same things that I have found out the hard way. It makes me trust her on some of the things that I haven't discovered that she mentioned. Check out her breakfast grains with good fats. Enjoy.
on January 9, 2013
Are you looking for realistic tips for eating healthy? Are you curious how chefs and others in the food industry stay slim when around food all day? This book will show you how the pros prioritize and plan, yet still enjoy the food they prepare and eat what they love.

This book was a great reminder to basically eat what you love. No matter what chef was interviewed, each one of them basically said you should eat and not restrict moderation. Who can go without chocolate or ice cream or pizza or pasta for the rest of their life? Well, not me, but I have learned that I don't need a huge bowl of ice cream, but instead a small serving will give me the same satisfaction with less calories and guilt. The chefs agreed that you should still enjoy the foods you love without depriving yourself.

Something that I learned from the book was Lesson #26 - Salt Your Food. I didn't realize the role salt plays in almost every food we eat. Not just salt, either, but pepper. Seasoning our food brings out the flavor and can make or break a dish. I have been more aware of this in my cooking and making sure that salt is not the forgotten ingredient.

I also appreciated that the topic of alcohol was mentioned. I am someone who likes to have a glass of wine while cooking and/or with our dinner...once in awhile. A tip that I have discovered when attending parties and was happy to also see mentioned in the book is drinking one glass of water for every drink of wine (or other beverage). It helps you stay hydrated and not feel sick or have a headache in the morning!

For most of the chefs, working out was a priority. Due to the numerous tastings they do each day, the amount of calories consumed is very high. Exercise has to be a priority in order to maintain their weight and yet enjoy regular meals with family. French chef, Eric Ripert, makes it a priority to walk EVERY matter what. He walks to work, a distance of two miles, every day, no matter the weather.

As a parent, I have read numerous times the importance of eating with your children. Having family dinners around the table have been shown to improve health and self-esteem of children. So, it was no surprise that the chefs also make it a priority to eat together as a family. Even if the chef doesn't eat the meal because they had eaten at the restaurant, they still sit down together and enjoy the family conversation. Again, it is about making time for what is important and I was happy to hear that with their busy schedules, even they could find time to have meals together.

The book is also full of recipes right from the chefs, including dishes served in their restaurants and their homes. I am very anxious to try Karen Hatfield's Apple Galette. It sounds simple to create and yet, is special and delicious.

This is a great book if you want to learn more about chefs and how they handle the pressures of working around food all day. A lot of their tips were ones that we can all use in our own lives. Mario Batali said it best, "That's the beauty of life: eating a good meal, having a couple bottles of wine with friends, and laughing and being happy."
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse