5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought!
Published on June 24, 2009 by Jaimo

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me?
Published on February 20, 2009 by Libraries Rule!

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me?, February 20, 2009
Libraries Rule! (Athens, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I can't believe this book. How are these women able to write this book with a straight face? This isn't a book for the average woman, it's for rich girls with no sense. They share personal stories about how to cut back; and I laughed at every one of them. One of them owed 12 pairs of $300 jeans. Are you kidding me? I own two pairs of jeans, and the most I have ever paid for jeans was $35, and that felt like a splurge. They suggest taking your lunch to work instead of eating out, reducing your number of lattes, and only buying a few designer pieces of clothing. What a joke! In the real world, all the women I know bring a lunch to work. I don't know anyone with a designer anything. One of the women in the book was proud that she and her spouse figured out how to live on just one of their salaries and save the rest...they were making a combined $150,000. Their one salary was still way above what my husband and I make combined. So if you are trying to figure out how to save up for a trip to a spa (3 nights for two people: $6000. This is an actual example from the book; I'm not making this up.), then this might be the book for you. If you are already juggling a mortgage, keeping a 14 year old car running with frequent trips to the mechanic, student loans, and any type of medical bill, this in NOT the book for you. If you are an airhead who already makes well above the median income of the average US citizen but still manages to spend it all in one month ($500 dresses for dates! Crazy!) then this book might help you out.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is a joke-don't waste your money, May 15, 2011
I have read a lot of different books on personal finance. This book was by far the absolute worst. I am just going to take one quote straight from the book and that should sum it up:

"The Smart Cookies have allowed ourselves $100 a week in fun money..."

If you are looking at purchasing this book, I imagine you don't have an extra $400 each month for "fun money". The whole book basically describes their lavish lifestyles and how they got into debt purchasing designer jeans, expensive dinners, etc. There are no practical, proven ways to get out of debt beyond not buying a latte every day and buying designer clothing on eBay.

Save your money and buy a book from Dave Ramsey or David Bach instead. They both offer effective methods for getting out of debt and growing wealth. And here is a parting thought: If these "Smart Cookies" are so smart, why aren't they investing their $5200 a year of fun money in mutual funds instead of blowing it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought!, June 24, 2009
As a college student, I wanted to become more smart about saving money, credit cards, investing, etc, but there are very few resources that are aimed at helping young women do so. And I believe that you should have knowledge of money matters when you are young, before you even have a chance to get into debt. So I bought it and I'm glad I did. I have to disagree with the reviewer below. This book taught me about credit cards, a little bit about investing, shopping smarter, and other little tricks to save money. To me, it IS realistic to go out for lunch a lot during the work week, many people do, even if it is going out for a $3 sub sandwich. While it may not be realistic to buy 12 pairs of $300 jeans, we all have something that we impulsively buy and we all shop for emotional reasons at some time or another. This book addresses that. The girls examples were just examples, but you can relate to them in some way and apply their strategies to your own life regardless of your income. And if you go to there website and sign up for their newsletter, you can get money saving advice sent to your email during the week. I love that! Thanks to this book, I now realize that being financially savvy and secure is achievable. These girls came from a lot of debt and dug their way out. This book is their story about how they did it. I learned a lot from them. If you have debt or just want to become more knowledgable about money matters, this is a great book. This would be a great resource for a young woman headed to college.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for all women who don't have a good handle on handeling money., April 10, 2009
I would certainly recommend this book for an inspirationand practile how to idea on how to manage money.

4.0 out of 5 stars ONe SmARt CoOkiE, December 2, 2008
i thought this book was wonderful. it gave great insight on how to save a buck. this book clarified a lot of financial questions that i've been struggling with. i deeply recommend this book to any young woman who cant stop spending.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW: The Smart Cookies' Guide To Making More Dough, May 9, 2010
This review is from: The Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Out of Debt: How Five Young Women Got Smart, Formed a Money Group, and Took Control of Their Finances (Paperback)
This book goes to show you that regardless of how much money you make and what your tastes are, there is a way to look and feel great about yourself within reason. The Smart Cookies' Guide To Making More Dough is complete with tables, examples and easy to understand tips that anyone should be able to follow. The ladies talk about the importance of writing things down: what you have, what you spend, what you need to do and within what time frame. Simple things, yes, but isn't it always the most simple pieces of the equation that sometime baffle us?

I enjoyed this book, so that means that men and women can really benefit from it if they give it a chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars specifically designed for "successful women struggling to get control of [their] finances, March 14, 2010
The Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough: How Five Young Women Got Smart, Formed a Money Group, and Took Control of Their Finances
Review by Richard L. Weaver II, Ph.D.

In this 211-page book, five women first tell the Smart Cookies' story -- the story of how they formed their money group. This is a book specifically designed for "successful women struggling to get control of [their] finances" (p. xvii). They admit, "within a year of starting the Smart Cookies Money Group, we'd already made substantial progress -- and without sacrificing our social lives, our sanity, or even our Starbucks lattes! Even we were surprised at how much we'd learned, how much we'd accomplished, and how much fun we had doing it" (p. xix). This book is about how they did it: "the strategies [they] used, the lessons [they] learned through [their] own experiences, and the expertise [they] gained through research and interviews with successful, self-made women [they] sought out along the way." The book is full of advice and support, specific exercises to keep readers on track and accountable, and a great deal of inspiration -- the inspiration necessary for you to turn your financial situation around and, at the same time, improve every aspect of your life. It is a frank, readable, entertaining book in which each of the five young ladies takes part in sharing her insights and observations. This is an enjoyable and worthwhile read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrift, January 11, 2009
The authors show the public how to reduce reliance
on credit. They make statements that appear to be
quite true in my own experience. i.e.
o interest doubles on late payments as penalties rise
o a good payment history drastically reduces interest
o users of credit cards should ponder the alternative
use of the money
o split appetizers at fancy restaurants
o take advantage of muni-facilities for the public
o examine how long mutual funds have been in business
o review mutual fund manager experience

I would add to this the 424 Dividend Boost Program.
The program allows you to buy shares from participating
companies like Pepsi, Altria and Wal-Mart. Simply
ask the company for the required forms
( investor relations), execute them and mail a
check for the purchase. There are no broker
fees whatsoever. In addition, make certain that you
take full advantage of the dividend re-investment feature
so that the stock portfolio grows even quicker.

Good luck and open up more of these investment clubs.
This is the best way to avoid stock market rip-offs
of all kinds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book - follow the steps!, October 16, 2008
Michael (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
Great stocking stuffer for this XMAS - especially in these tough times!! This is simple practical guide to getting your financial house in order. What I like are the personal stories that make sense for everyone. They really push "know your numbers.."....very smart :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Six Easy Steps To Take Control Of Your Finances, October 8, 2008
The book is a great guide to following six steps to get control of your finances and gives a wealth of tips and information on how to save money. Their website [...] further assists you in meeting your goal of financial freedom with online tools and tips.

Rate and Discover Movies