Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 16, 2012
Ignore any of the reviews complaining about this product not working as advertised. They're made by people who obviously haven't bothered to read the instructions or they don't understand the intended use of this device.

I have 2 other similar devices (both master-controlled) that work just as well, but for my home entertainment center, I needed something with an adjustable sensitivity. I tried the 2 other devices, but my receiver didn't go into a low enough power-saving mode, so the secondary outlets were never switched off. Enter the Smart Strip. In about 2 minutes, I had this thing working as expected. This includes the time to unpack, dig around for the correct power cable, try it out, see if not work how I wanted, read the directions, then see it work. It took me about 2 or 3 tries adjusting the sensitivity, since it would sometimes turn off as expected, but not back on. Just a tiny bit of fiddling (and I mean TINY ... barely enough to feel the dial move) was enough to make it work.

I'm currently using this particular device with the following setup:
Master:
- Onkyo SR-606 surround sound receiver

Secondary (turns off with master):
- Nintendo Wii with WODE Jukebox
- Samsung BP-2500 Blu-ray player
- Onkyo subwoofer from above surround sound system
- Samsung 42" Plasma TV

I don't currently have anything in the always-on outlets, since I have anything that needs to be always on plugged into a separate surge protector/UPS.

Obviously, I can't speak as to longevity of the product, but so far, it works like an absolute charm and I can finally have my entertainment center turning on/off the way I want!!!
on January 12, 2013
I wound up buying three of these to help manage phantom load. In the end, I was only able to use one on my home theater system. The other two attempts to use with computer equipment did not work out since the computer did not draw enough power when it came out sleep mode to trigger the autoswitch on the control outlet. Same problem when using with laptop or cell phone chargers. In the end even the home theater setup was mostly bust since the DirecTV box acted badly and needed a 5 minute reset if you cut the power to it. Until they make a more sensitive model it is probably best to avoid with these.
on January 16, 2009
This is a review of the Smart Strip SCG3 / 049418906 Energy Saving Power Strip with Autoswitching Technology product offered by Amazon.com.

This product when plugged in with no load, uses virtually no power. In my home it is controlled by my TV set. The devices which power on and off (the controlled devices) include an Xbox 360 (Elite), PS3 (60 GB), a Wii and an 8 port Ethernet switch.

Using a Kill A Watt, my power savings vs not having this switch are about $2-$3 per month, depending on how long the set is on for. The longer the set is on (that my kids play) the less is saved. My electric rate per KWH is about 18 cents.

This device will pay for itself in 10-15 months using my configuration.

To know how long it will take to pay for itself in your home, you'll need a Kill A Watt or similar product, and will need to measure the power off energy consumption of the devices which will be turned off by this product.

In my opinion any product which pays for itself in under 2 years is a reasonable purchase.

If I had fewer devices controlled, or if they were different devices, the only way to tell if this would save enough energy to justify the cost is by using a Kill A Watt or similar device.

My suggestion is to take the $30 you'd spend on this, and purchase a Kill A Watt first, then you'll know the energy consumption of the appliances which this device will fully power down. You need to measure them in the off state to determine if this energy strip is viable for your situation.

I personally prefer the Kill A Watt 4460 as you can enter your energy cost, and it will tell your what an appliance costs to use per day, week, month or year.

Purchasing this strip without a measurement of energy use from the controlled devices, is making a guess, maybe an educated guess, about power savings.

Our devices are controlled by a 47" LCD TV, and no adjusting of sensitivity was required. My guess is any large appliance can control all smaller appliances on a circuit.

This appears to be a reasonable product to use when controlling devices linked to a TV or home Computer. It may have difficulty with some energy efficient laptops.
on September 11, 2013
*Updated*

This company is just awful, and their warranty is a lie. I've contacted this company multiple times to try and get my product replaced (they both went bad after around 2 months use) and have been totally stonewalled. I find it insulting that they claim their strips should last "20 years" yet cannot manage to honor their 2 year product warranty, and can't imagine that they'll be in business much longer with shady tactics like this.

I purchased two of these power strips: one for my TV/Entertainment area and one for my computer, and as of this writing I have had both power strips malfunction within two months of owning them. The strip I use for my TV and gaming consoles has had all of the "green" outlets die. I've tried a variety of different devices with multiple cables, and I've found the same results, leaving me with an overpriced three outlet power strip. My computer room strip has suffered a worse fate, as all of the outlets continue to work but have a fatal flaw. Whenever you unplug one outlet from the strip (or unplug the cable straight from the device), it kills the power to several other outlets at the same time. This means that whenever I try to power cycle my modem or wireless router, my monitor, speakers, and computer all lose power. Again, I've tried different devices and cables, but it happens all the same. I encourage you to find another brand of energy saving power strips, as these ones are poorly engineered.
on May 10, 2012
This works as advertised but is a bit expensive so I give it 4 stars. I'm writing this review to share a trick I figured out with my docked computer...

When a docked computer powers up to 100% the charger shuts off, resulting in the peripherals shutting down if the computer charger is set to be the "master" power source. The trick is to set the monitor to be the "master" power source, then go into control panel so the monitor doesn't shut off for an hour or two when the computer is plugged in. You can then hook everything else up to be a slave unit, including the computer charger itself. This solution is working great for me- powering down my subwoofer, speakers, scanner, laptop charger, and desk lamp...
on November 4, 2011
I thought this was the greatest idea until I started doing the math. I wanted one for my home theater system, which consists of a receiver, dvd player, Wii, and a USB hard drive. I used a Kill-a-Watt to measure the draw of all the devices when in standby, and it was about 10 Watts. Assuming that they are in standby 20 hours a day, these devices, combined, cost me $0.75 a month to run in standby mode, or $9 a year. It will take me 2 years and 8 months to see a return on investment.

Am I saying it's a bad idea? No. Just be aware that you may not save as much money as you think you will, unless your devices are much bigger vampires than mine are.

If you're interested in saving electricity, I'd recommend a first step is getting a P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor or similar device. It alone won't save you any electricity, but it is a good tool that can show you WHERE it can be saved.
on June 24, 2012
This is actually a review of 3 different products. I'm putting the reviews all together because I'm using them all for one application and I thought others may find it interesting. I have a small closet that stores all my audio equipment. The receiver and DVR put out a lot of heat so I have been looking for a way to cool them. I wanted to be able to have a fan turn on when I turned on the receiver and turn off when I turned it off. Unfortunately the receiver does not have a switched outlet so I had to find a different solution. There isn't much clearance so I decided to use a computer fan. After purchasing some other fans that did not move enough air I found this.
3 of Cooling Fan-AFB1212GHE-CF00 120x 38mm - TAC Sensor, 3-pin, 240.96CFM, 5200RPM, 62dBA, 2.45A (Max 3.24A), 27.48 air pre.
The thing I learned about all of these little fans is that you have to pay attention to the #'s. CFM is "cubic feet per minute" basically how much air it moves. Be aware this fan is strong it moves more air than a hair dryer. RPM is speed and dBA is how loud it is. I purchased other fans before I learned about the #'s and some of them didn't move enough air to blow a piece of paper. These fans are loud. I actually purchased 3 fans and with all 3 fans going it was too much wind and too loud so I bought this.
Lamptron FC2 Fan Speed Controller 45W x 6 channel Black
This allows me to control the speed of the fans which affect how much air they move and how loud they are. This was one of the only speed controllers I could use because most of them could not handle a fan that required as much amperage as these do. The next problem I had to solve was how to get the fans to turn on when the receiver comes on. I tried a thermostat that is designed to turn on a certain temperatures but it had a limited range so it didn't work. I also tried a thermal probe from another company but its power supply failed as soon as I connected it to the fans. Then I found this
Smart Strip SCG3 Energy Saving Power Strip with Autoswitching Technology
You connect the receiver to what is called the master plug and the other outlets don't receive any power until they sense the master plus is drawing power. I didn't want to wait for delivery to so I bought two different brands from home depot and lowes but the receiver draws too much power even when its off so they didn't work right. The Smart Strip has a dial on the side that you can adjust the sensitivity (this is a big benefit I'm not sure why they don't hype it in the description, I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for a review I read). It took a couple of minutes to get it just right but now it all works perfect. When I turn on the receiver the power stip senses the power is on and provides power to the fan controller which is perfectly set to turn the fans at the speed I want so they aren't too loud but keep my electronics nice and cool. I even found a local metal shop to build a nice bracket for me for $25 to hold the fans. This took several trials and errors but now it works perfectly. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future. I would definitely recommend all of these products.
on December 26, 2012
First, if you can't tell from the description, here's how this works: one outlet (blue in the picture) is the "master" outlet. If something plugged into this outlet is turned on, it will activate the automatically switched outlets (green in this picture). If not, they will be switched off. The idea is to help you save energy by effectively turning off power to things that might draw a phantom load just by being plugged in, even when you don't need them (and sometimes even when they're turned off) like computer monitors, speakers, DVD players, or pretty much anything with an AC adapter. Finally, there are two always-on (red in the picture) outlets that are never automatically switched off (but, of course, you still turn off them and the entire power strip with the physical switch).

I have two of these, one for my computer and one for my other computer that I use in place of a TV. Both have the computer in the "master" outlet and the monitor and speakers in the automatically switched outlets. I have a floor lamp in the always-on outlet in one so I can use it without my computer, and I have my wireless router in an always-on outlet of the other. Both have worked wonderfully, exactly as expected, by switching off the desired peripherals when the computer is off or sleeping. I've both for over a year now, in constant use, and they're holding up fine.

A key feature of this power strip that I couldn't find on similar products (like the Belkin Conserve strip) is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the master outlet with a screw on the side of this power strip. This is important because, for example, my MacBook often uses so little power when it's *on* that the power strip didn't initially detect it and turn on the switched outlets. I had to adjust the screw a bit to make it switch on and off as expected. You can also do the same if your device uses more power than expected when off (or sleeping or whatever) in order to make the power strip still turn off the extra devices. Reviews I've read for other strips without this feature seem to indicate that some people have problems that could be resolved if they were able to do this.

Finally, I've noticed this same company makes similar power strips in different sizes with different features (7 or 10 outlets; just power or power plus phone or phone and coaxial cable protection). Until I rearranged my equipment, I almost wish I would have purchased a larger one, but this one works fine for me now and it's also the least expensive.

In summary, this product has worked as expected for me and held up to my usage for over a year so far. If you're looking for a product like this, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this one, especially on account of its adjustable sensitivity, a feature that appears to be lacking in most other "green" power strips.
on December 12, 2015
DOES NOT HAVE A SENSITIVITY CONTROL. I purchased this exact same unit from this supplier 2 years ago. That unit DID have a sensitivity control. This unit DOES NOT. Will not properly work with my LED TV. Luckily, this one WILL work with my Yamaha receiver and the cooling fans I am using. I moved the older unit up to the TV to power on the LED backlighting.
on January 13, 2016
Will not work with my Denon AVR. All modern AVRS go to standby when you power them down. If you use one to control the switched outlets this power strip will not cut them off. I thought from what I read this power strip would come with a sensitivity adjustment to correct this but when I called customer support they informed me the newer models no longer have this feature. This smart strip 4941 probably works fine for something that completely powers down, but for an AVR it is completely useless.