4.0 out of 5 stars This should cause you to reexamine your hiring processes...
Published on June 20, 2007 by Thomas Duff

3.0 out of 5 stars If only the world was like that
Published on June 29, 2009 by D. R. Pitts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars This should cause you to reexamine your hiring processes..., June 20, 2007
This review is from: Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky's Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent (Hardcover)
After driving cross-country in 49 hours, I returned home to find this book waiting for me... Smart and Gets Things Done: Joel Spolsky's Concise Guide to Finding the Best Technical Talent by (of course) Joel Spolsky. Since I wasn't in the mood to start a large 300+ page novel, I figured this book would bridge the gap between naps quite nicely. It's a no-nonsense look at how Spolsky thinks hiring in the software industry should be done. While I may quibble on a few things, I think he's pretty accurate.

Content: Hitting the High Notes; Finding Great Developers; A Field Guide to Developers; Sorting Resumes; The Phone Screen; The Guerrilla Guide to Interviewing; Fixing Suboptimal Teams; The Joel Test; Index

Spolsky takes the hard line that you should only be hiring *great* developers. In his terms, these are the people who are "smart & gets things done." Using the observation that a great programmer can be 10x as productive as an average programmer, he feels that the additional cost in salary and recruiting to find the gem is more than paid back in the work product produced. In fact, hiring average programmers (or clueless ones) actually lose you money in the long run due to rework and inferior quality. Spolsky uses a number of techniques outlined in the book to filter out average developers in order to concentrate on the few that show real potential. In fact, he maintains that you should be working at getting interns and contacts before you need staff, so that you can have a good idea as to what potential hires can accomplish in the real world. If an intern shows real talent and is happy with their internship, the hiring process is streamlined and little risk remains.

In some ways, I tend to disagree with a few of his attitudes. For instance, he feels all developers should have a thorough understanding of how pointers work. He'll ask those types of questions during interviews. He believes that having that sort of knowledge shows that a developer has more than just a basic understanding of how a language works. I would contend that depending on what your software base is, you may pass by excellent developers who have never had to use pointers. Also, the book is slanted heavily towards companies that create software products, not companies that have an IT department. While an IT department made up of people who pass Spolsky's tests would be great, the company would also likely be understaffed at all times. It's hard to find those types of people, and companies have far too many projects going at once to be that selective.

Even with those caveats, I think this is a very good read. Hiring good development staff is important to a company, and it's not the same as hiring a file clerk. After reading this book, you'll likely rethink your attitude and process of hiring.

3.0 out of 5 stars If only the world was like that, June 29, 2009
D. R. Pitts "daverpitts" (Issaquah, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the read, and one side of my brain (not sure which Side) cheered and said I want to work for a company that hires like that. I want to fly first class and be treated like a star. The other s side of my brain says we cannot treat everyone as a star, Maybe If you are a Boutique maybe you can do so. My own experience says that small elite groups of architects may come up with great Ideas, but you still need to lay the bricks, or frame the house. If you are building Custom Homes that might be fine, but if you are building tract homes, you need lots of brick layers and framers, and if you pay and treat them like architects, you are going to have a lot of issues on your hands. Stalin said that quantity has a Quality all of its own! I gave it a 5 star read but 3 stars for practicality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A somewhat different view of hiring developers, July 22, 2007
This book represents Joel Spolsky's approach to hiring programmers. Smart and Gets Things Done is based on Spolsky's weblog, like his previous book, Joel on Software.

The main thrust of the book is to state that you should only hire the best. While many people would think this is reasonable and obvious, Joel takes the advice much farther than most. He describes in detail his methods for recognizing top talent, convincing them to join your company, and keeping them once you've got them. Joel is not talking about some useless slogan ("We hire only the best"), he is really talking about identifying the best and doing whatever is necessary to hire them.

His advice will probably annoy many managers and some people in human resources. Most programmers will probably love his advice. Whether the approach will work for a company different than Joel's is another question altogether.

One surprise to me was the fact that this book contained new material that was not on Joel's weblog. The book is extremely readable. Whether you agree with Joel or not on the specifics of his approach, the book is definitely worth reading if you are involved in any way with hiring software developers. It will give you insight into the people that you are innovating and show glimpses of what you may be competing with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, October 26, 2007
J. MCADAMS (Kirkland, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Though I don't always see eye-to-eye with the writings of Joel, I always do enjoy reading his material. This collection of his articles is no exception. Some of the claims and lines of reasoning are a tough sell, but they do call out important things to consider in your organization's hiring strategy.

Just realize before you buy this book, there is a chance somewhere between slim and none that you'll actually be able to implement all of Joel's recommendations. Still, you're sure to find a few areas where you can take action and improve the quality of your new hires.

4.0 out of 5 stars It achieves its intended goal, January 1, 2008
The book is a quick read at 169 small pages and engaging. The book meets its intended goal of finding the best rock star technical talent for product development. He acknowledges that rock stars are not needed for many types of development (page 16).

Knowing that he was concentrating on rock stars, I bought the book anyway, looking for tips that I translate to my world where my customers are late adopters of technology and development is usually mixed in with O&M.

I did find some tips. Some just confirmed what I already believed to be true. The most useful chapters for me were Chapter 4 - Sorting Resumes (3 of my 6 dog-eared pages are in this chapter), and Chapter 7 - Fixing Suboptimal Teams.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much new here, August 10, 2008
Maureen Brennan (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
I've been developing software for fifteen years but picked up this book to gain insights into hiring practises of a solid software company in Fog Creek software.
Honestly, I did not learn much new here. Find the brightest developers you can find (hiring them right out of college is best Joel says), pay them well, give them good working conditions and treat them with respect.
Also, value problem solving skills over technical knowledge in the hiring phase.
OK, maybe I did learn a bit but these tips apply to attracting the best employees in any industry. Maybe I've been lucky but most places I've worked at follow these ideals.
A quick read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, July 8, 2007
Written in Joel's typical "light" fashion the book is a quick and easy ready (as advertised). There are some useful insight amidst the many long-winded passages. Overall I enjoyed this book and felt it was worth price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Building great teams, September 28, 2007
Another great book by Joel outlining his experience in hiring and building great software development teams. As with prior publications, a lot of the content is taken directly from his personal blog, but the book is well worth the investment. As a startup founder I found a lot of invaluable advice for hiring, screening and building the team culture. Both managers and software developers looking for a great job search strategy will definitely benefit from reading this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good nuggets of wisdom, not always broadly applicable, November 10, 2007
As ever, Joel Spolsky has good insight into software engineering and this book for technical talent-finding continues that trend. Many ideas are applicable for anyone seeking technical hiring advice and ideas but some are more applicable to certain domains. This caveat, however, does not diminish the value of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rehash of other printed material, February 13, 2012
I love reading material from Joel on Software, and have read several of his books. I purchased Smart and Get's Things Done in the hope that I would get new insights on how to hire and retain developers for our company. It took me less than a hour to skim the book, because every chapter was a reprint of things I had already read from the website and the two Joel on Software books. So if you have read them, there is no new content.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›