5.0 out of 5 stars advice from a former SAT coach, August 30, 2006
Wyote (a planet rich in iron and water) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Word Smart Junior II, 2nd Edition (Smart Juniors Guide for Grades 6 to 8) (Paperback)
I used to work as a professional SAT Reading coach, making big bucks; the key issue for most of my students was vocabulary. Rather, VOCABULARY. (The other is slowing down and thinking as--not after--they read.)

Many questions on the SAT reading section amount to vocabulary questions.

What this means is that if you want to improve your SAT scores, if you are an ambitious student trying to get into one of the top schools, there is no two ways about it: you have to study vocabulary.

And study vocabulary.

And study vocabulary.

You cannot study simply one book, or even one series of books. You have to study several series.

However, the Princeton Review Word Smart series is the best that I know of. You should start here. Even if you think you have a good vocabulary, start here just to be on the safe side, and you can move on later.

You would recommend studying any of the vocabulary books that I've ever seen--but I recommend mastering the Word Smart series. These really are by far the best--if you are shopping here, it probably means you need these books.

If you were one of my students, your parents paying lots of money, I would force you to master these books, and I would ride you like a horse until you did. And then your scores would come up, your parents would love me and tell all their friends, and I would get more jobs and more money. That's how it works.

Anyway, these are certainly the best vocabulary books on the market. Even if you're studying vocabulary for some other reason, these are probably still the best.

Good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book to read, November 23, 1999
I had been trying every book to increase my vocablulary until I found Word Smart. Then I purchased all the books and some of the cassetts. It is really helpful to my studyings. I rememberd 100 words in ten days and saw about 40 of them appearing in Romeo and Juliet with annotations. It is indeed a good book and I have introduced it to my good friend already.

5.0 out of 5 stars children need this book, July 21, 2001
jose reyes md "jreyes2248" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Along with the first book, this book has the best new-word learning assistance per time spent. The only other way is to read copiously and you how much time that would take. The stories are almost fairy-tale like but I loved them. This is a must have. I bought a dozen for all my junior relatives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great BOOK!, November 10, 2010
THIS IS A GREAT BOOK IF YOU WANT TO BROADEN YOUR CHILD'S VOCABULARY. HAS TONS OF WORDS. THERE ARE VOCABULARY QUIZZES AFTER EVERY STORY AND DEFINITIONS IN THE BACK.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as the Word Smart Junior 1, November 30, 2012
My 8th grade daughter loves WS Junior books. The stories of both book 1 and 2 are funny and easy to read. For some readers, the words may not be challenging but I think they are appropriate for middle school students to learn new words as wel as to confirm what they already know. The glossory is very handy to check the meaning of the words appeared in this book. I gave four stars because I wish there were more questions /tests at the end of each chapter.

Word Smart Junior II, 2nd Edition (Smart Juniors Guide for Grades 6 to 8)
Used & New from: $0.01