From the Back Cover
Smart Leadership provides a completely up-to-date overview of the current thinking on leadership for leaders and aspiring leaders. Jonathan Yudelowitz, Richard Koch and Robin Field outline the latest theories and principles, derived from their own proven successes, and from the wisdom of great business thinkers and writers such as Charles Hendy, Jack Welch, Mary Parker Follett and Eric Berne.
Throughout each chapter, Smart Leadership gives you everything you need to know to stay ahead of the field:
- Leadership demystified: What are the fundamentals of leadership? How does it differ from management? What are the characteristics of a good leader? How do leaders convey a sense of where we are going, even if they have little more idea than the rest of us on how the future will unfold?
- Leadership wars: What are the key debates about leadership? Are leaders born or made? Is leadership all hype and no substance?
- The triangle of tensions: Leaders struggle in three separate dimensions - the individual identity (who the leader really is), the canned role ( the formal expectations, trappings and power of the leaderhip role) and the management process (the messy reality of what is really happening within and around the company). How does the Smart leader reconcile these demands?
- Learner leadership: Not only must leaders learn, practise and influence others, but they must also simultaneously teach others to lead. Sound tricky, but with the right stages and processes in place, as shown in the Wheel of Learner leadership, a Smart leader is in the making.
- The practical leader: Putting some of the management theory aside, learn five major lessons about practical, common-sense leaderhip.
Smart Leadership is a concentrated mixture of wisdom and knowledge. It gives Smart advice on just how to cope with some real emotional challenges too.
About the Author
Richard Koch is an investor, author, consultant and entrepreneur. He has created and transformed businesses worldwide and is the author of numerous best-selling books including Smart Things to Know about Strategy, Break Up!, The Third Revolution and The 80/20 Principle.
Robin Field started his career with Jardine Matheson & Co in the Far East where he ran the largest independent shipping agency in Taiwan. Having gained a MBA with distinction at INSEAD he worked with Richard Koch first at LEK and then Strategy Ventures before becoming Chief Executive and subsequently Chairman of Filofax Group plc. He is now an active non-executive director of a number of public and private companies.