5.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice in a new edition!
A revised and enlarged edition of this classic (1995) has just been published. Carla is always at the cutting-edge. Her insights have been confirmed by advances in neuro-sciences and all of the first edition are still valid. But it is good to have some additional new input from the past 10 years. I'll first select a few quotes as appetizer.
Candace Pert, from...
Published on June 28, 2005 by George Zee

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine place to start...
Published on October 22, 2011 by J

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Rejoice in a new edition!, June 28, 2005
George Zee (www.frzee.org, Hong Kong) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head, Second Edition (Paperback)
Candace Pert, from Georgetown University, in her Introduction, admits that Carla "has also highlighted new research and insights which go beyond my 1999 book Molecules of Emotion... Learning is naturally a pleasurable experience and Carla Hannaford shows us how to return to that state as she explores the research, and ways and means of achieving the optimal learning environment."
Carla in concluding her Preface: "It has been a wonderful experience to bring forward so much new research, which strongly supports our need as human beings to connect, love, laugh, play and share music with each other to make each moment the best learning experience possible. I invite and challenge you to partake of the new findings of science, and to explore simple ways to optimize our experience and that of our children, to live more complete, passionate, creative, satisfying lives."
An important up-date is the heart-brain connection, more elaborated in her excellent book: Awakening the Child Heart: Handbook for Global Parenting. Other short, but significant up-date reports are interspersed throughout the book.
There are more expansions in Chapters 11: The Vestibular System, and 12: Fight and Flight--The Stress Effect on Learning.
Additional paragraphs on oxytocin and dopamine in relation to learning have been included. Those who don't mind being distracted by more neuro-chemistry, may find Why We Love and The Edge Effect also interesting.
There are some changes and additional diagrams and photos. I'm glad that Carla's own artistic sketchings are all kept.
This book is a "must" for every parent and educator.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource, June 30, 2006
Kathy (Bennington, KS, United States) - See all my reviews
This book is easy to follow and is a great resource for those interested in improving functioning, particularly in children. The brain research included in the book is outstanding, maybe a little overwhelming for a lay person not used to reading this type of information, but made to be as user friendly as possible. One school I'm in has used some of the basic principles presented in the book with noticeable positive results in a very short time. This book is worth the money and time spent reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Practical and Courageous Book, January 17, 2011
This book talks about the causes of the problem (difficulty learning, difficulty connecting to others, and difficulty feeling comfortable in ones own skin) quite courageously, since it seems somewhat taboo these days to question our frantic pace and de-humanizing style of life. More to the point, she provides a great many excellent measures to rectify the problem. These measures are not instant solutions in the sense that trying them once is transformative, but some effect should be seen in the beginning and the effect builds with continued practice. Though the exercises may seem bizarrely unrelated to the objective, it is because they work largely by bringing the vestibular (balance) and autonomic nervous system back into balance. We are so alienated from these systems that we don't recognize the maneuvers that 'wake them up'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Teachers, Therapists and Wise Physical Trainers, November 2, 2008
Brian T. Copeland (Denver/Aurora, CO USA) - See all my reviews
As a Z Health and Functional Movement Screen Performance Specialist, an RKC Kettlebell Instructor and a former Corporate Trainer; I have found this book invaluable... and I'm not even half way through it yet!

I use a highlighter to mark areas that I find I will want to come back and reference and so far virtually every page is highlighted. Dr. Hannaford doesn't fill the pages with fluff, there is a lot of applicable education about the human nervous system, the different sensory systems of the body and how they all interact.

By understanding how neural plasticity works we can determine how we CAN get people walking again, learning into their old age, make ourselves more coordinated and more intelligent, prevent Alzheimer's, eliminate ADD and many types of Autism.

The human brain and nervous system is an amazing piece of equipment and Dr. Hannaford breaks it down into understandable chunks. She also provides real examples that both her and others have used to make amazing changes in both adults and children with ailments that were formerly thought of as irreversible and only treatable with drugs.

Despite the cover which looks like a kids book (you will get it once you understand that physical play makes you smarter) this is a book written for the dedicated professional. The information would have helped me in my Corporate Training years but now as a strength & fitness trainer and someone who helps others get out of pain, it helps me even more so.

Anyone who teaches languages, sports, or anything for that matter; or anyone who helps people get out of pain such as Chiropractors, PTs, etc. must get this book.

Train Like An ATHLETE Not A Hamster!

Brian Copeland, RKC, PFS
[...]
[...]

brian@bccorefitness.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Never thought of it before., July 8, 2006
I'm a former teacher, current family lawyer, mother of a nine year old, and homeschooled last year. My daughter's current tutor recommended this book, and a lot of pieces are beginning to fall into place. Coordination, reluctance to ride a bike. I wish I'd had this book 10 years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Carla Hannaford is on to Something, February 21, 2013
This book has been so helpful to me that I have given it as a gift to friends who are educators. I recommend it to anyone who has the desire to understand the many facets of learning, especially with children who are challenged with focus issues, inattention and hyperactivity. I finally understand why some some kids rock their chairs in class, balancing, back and forth, and why, when you make them stop, they also stop learning! I also understand my own learning challenges, and where I got off track as a child. I can't tell you the answers -- you'll have to read the book. :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars A fine place to start..., October 22, 2011
I purchased this book a while back and read it. It incorporates brain gym and provides explanation of why these techniques work. For me, it was a step back...I have a child with learning problems that Brain Gym assists with...however, by the time I read the book, I had already had courses in Brain Gym, attended a lecture and met Paul Denison (Brain gym founder), & it offered little information for me. I would, however, recommend it for people who are wanting to dabble a bit and get a basic understanding. If you are more familiar with Brain Gym, I do not think you will find this book very informative; you probably know it already.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart book for parents and educators, December 16, 2008
Todd L. Hansen "T 4 Peace" (Santa Fe, New Mexico United States) - See all my reviews
This book is full of research and activities that will help get your brain and your child's brain functioning at higher levels. You can start right away with practical tips and advice. A must have for all parents and educators.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, April 2, 2013
This book is very informative and gives a clear understanding to confirming your thoughts on the possibilities that your child needs strategies that aren't always those that fit into that"perfect little box" so many teachers seem to gravitate to.
If your child seems to struggle in school, I would definitely recommend this book to help answer specific questions and provide a little relief to your frustrations. It will provide a better understanding to placing different practices in place for your child's learning styles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Moves is a Smart buy, May 28, 2011
I bought a copy of this book many years ago, and this year I gave a copy to my son's teacher. the information in the book is very valuable. It gives you exercises to work with your kids (and adults), so both sides of the brain works together. I have seen results with my children. Well worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head, Second Edition
Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head, Second Edition by Carla Hannaford Ph.D. (Paperback - September 18, 2007)
$18.95 $14.70