5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!!!
Published 20 months ago by Tim

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the rest of it?
Umbrellas typically come in one of three sizes:

(1) Full Size/Golf Umbrella - these open into a big broad canopy, they provide a lot of protection but until you need them, they are as long as a cane or a walking stick, making them a bit of a hassle to carry around everywhere.

(2) Large Compact Umbrellas - These are the bigger size of the small...
Published 13 months ago by team W

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the rest of it?, May 25, 2013
team W "teamw23" (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Senz "Smart" Stormproof Stick Umbrella in Black Out (Sports Apparel)
Umbrellas typically come in one of three sizes:

(2) Large Compact Umbrellas - These are the bigger size of the small umbrella, they typically fold up into something roughly a foot long and kind of fat, because they give nearly as much protection as the full size umbrellas. The problem is that they weigh a lot and are kind of chunky, again the not the greatest thing to carry around.

(3) Compact Umbrellas - These are very small, very light and easy to carry around. But you give up the size of one of the bigger umbrellas and so they don't cover you terribly effectively. These are the umbrellas that will often get your arms or your back or your trousers wet because rain typically blows a little bit and doesn't come down perfectly straight. Because the canopy width is barely enough to stand under, in operation it leaves you a little unprotected.

This umbrella manages to combine a lot of the worst features of all of these types of umbrellas. It doesn't fold to a compact size, it is sort of a thin, slightly shorter version of a full size umbrella. But when you open it up you realize that it is basically barely bigger than a compact umbrella when it comes to width, with the back side of the umbrella elongated to the size of a full size umbrella on one side.

Yes you can move the front out a bit and cover yourself front to back, but there is no getting around the fact that the umbrella is compact sized on 3 sides, and so in any serious rainstorm it will work about as well as a compact umbrella in keeping the rain off of you. You buy an umbrella to shield you from RAIN, so if it fails at this task it doesn't really matter how well it resists wind.

My wife tried it out for the first time in a heavy spring rain walking the dogs. She came back and had to change her clothes. She was soaked on one side because the thing just wasn't big enough to keep her dry on all sides. I've since used it in moderate rain and it works fine for that, but almost any umbrella would perform well in those undemanding conditions. This is supposed to be the bulletproof, expensive umbrella that you take out in heavy wind and rain and it keeps you dry. It just doesn't do that. It is just way too small to be effective in strong storms.

It does seem to be very well made and it is very light weight. The fabric is very taught against the spines, such that rain pings off of it. It does seem quite sturdy and I'd expect that it will hold up in high wind very well as promised. I think it will probably last a long time, particularly since it is going to live in the closet a lot, because I am going to grab a better, bigger umbrella if things look bad.

I think if it were 20-30% larger it probably would be the ideal umbrella. The basic shape and design is quite clever, but the implementation is a fail. I am not going to bother to return it, although I probably should. For what this costs, I would definitely not buy it again. The funny thing is that this is the bigger version, the one that is even smaller than this must be worse than a $2 umbrella.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!!!, October 29, 2012
Tim (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
So in New England we don't get tons of crazy winds but with this hurricane Sandy hitting us hard I decided to test out this fantastic umbrella. Well there were gusts and then there were GUSTS. This umbrella didn't threaten to turn inside out once. Kept me mostly dry with rain falling at 45 degrees but it held its own and was fantastic. If you want an umbrella for life this is what you should buy. Sure 50$ is a lot for an umbrella but this thing will last forever. Plus it looks cool and it comes with a year no hassle no questions asked warranty. What else could you want from an umbrella?

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 12, 2013
It is expensive and exaggerated product

1. Pros
- Futuristic design
- Wind pass-through by some degree

2. Cons
- *TOO SMALL* It is very small. When folded is looks like full-size umbrella. but when it opened. It's coverage almost same as pocket size umbrella.
- Ragged mechanism for unfolding/folding. You should open manually and close also manually there is no open button and no comfort button. open/close mechanism is that of cheap disposable umbrella. It need strong power. child and lady maybe can't open it
- Doesn't folded tightly. when folded..it almost half opened. very annoy to carry
- Ok..wind pass-through but rain also pass-through and strike you. you will be completely soaked in short time
- Low-quality. It made very crudely. seems chiness baby made in half sleep

Up shot :
- It is completely over priced
- below average umbrella quality
- totally poor open/close mechanism

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool Umbrella, February 26, 2013
It is not the most ideal umbrella for freakeshly tall person :) though they do have a larger version that my better suit me.
As far as keeping your backpack or guitar case dry, it does the job.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very different, February 13, 2013
This was givin as a gift. And the person who received it, loves it. Strong in design, lightweight, and well thought out

2.0 out of 5 stars Small, doesn't open/close easily, March 4, 2014
Much smaller than I thought it would be. I really wanted to like this product, but operating it (opening and closing) is difficult. I think you pull down to open and push up to close, but sometimes the button slides off the mechanism that allows it to release. If you are stuck in a rain storm, the last thing you need is to troubleshoot an umbrella.

4.0 out of 5 stars When it is open it is really much smaller that I would expected, April 13, 2013
I have not yet had the chance to test it with strong wind. Since it is bulky you only want to use it when it is heavily raining, but then it is barely enough to protect you. But it is a nice and robust umbrella.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it is very fantastic and useful ., May 30, 2013
The umbrella that protects against rain and muggers。It is too long and this is the only weakness. My colleagues also like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, March 2, 2013
I ordered this after having yet another umbrella turned inside out by wind. It arrived today. i was STUNNED by how large it is and how difficult it will be to carry. I wasn't expecting something that couldn't be put in a bag for commuting. There isn't even a strap to carry it by! I've yet to test it in weather, but I'm going to be reluctant to carry it as I will have no idea how I will manage it when I have to carry several bags on the train. The lack of a strap is a huge oversight and highly increases the probability it will be lost.

Edit: I have used this umbrella once now. It was a rainy, windy day. i was with two friends who were in the city for the day and they both had to buy drugstore umbrellas. Theirs were constantly turning inside out and this one didn't. I could feel the wind tugging at it, but it never turned. That is the ONLY good thing about it. The shape of the canopy puts most of the bulk of it behind you, so there is very little covering you and you still get wet (though not as wet as without it). The dealbreaker is how hard it is to maneuver. This umbrella opening/closing mechanism works in the opposite direction of standard, so that to open it you push the mechanism toward the canopy. Which means, when you try to carry it closed, gravity pulls the opening mechanism towards the canopy and it opens on you. I was in and out of stores and getting on and off the subway on this rainy day, and EVERY TIME IT FELL OPEN WHILE I WAS CARRYING IT. The only way to keep it closed was to wrap the straps around the closed, soaking wet canopy. Unless I did this, it fell open on me in doorways and subway turnstiles. I also had to gerry-rig a strap around the handle so that i could carry it and maneuver my bags and metro card.

I have to wonder what in the world the designer was thinking? Didn't they test it in real world conditions? I regret wasting $50 on something that will sit in my closet and rarely be used because it's not practical

Rate and Discover Movies