4.0 out of 5 stars Good design, and it works well for me

1.0 out of 5 stars False Security
Published on September 30, 2011 by Kenlu

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design, and it works well for me, December 13, 2006
J. B. Lehrer "h2ojus10" (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Smart Strip LCG4 Energy Saving Power Strip with Autoswitching Technology and Fax/Modem Surge Protection (Tools & Home Improvement)
I purchased a Smart Strip and use it to power my PC, monitor, printer, speakers and other peripheral devices. I find that it performs quite well. My PC is plugged into the control outlet, so the other outlets turn on when the PC is turned on. When the PC turns off, the other outlets shut down, so I no longer worry about shutting off my monitor, printer, or speakers. Sometimes there is a few minutes of delay before the peripherals power down, but this sensitivity can be tweaked with a setting on the Smart Strip - it is adjustable because some devices continue to draw a small current even when powered off, which can be enough current to keep the other outlets from shutting down. But with some adjustments, it can be set to work in most situations. The energy savings/environmental benefits make this a worthwhile purchase, but the convenience factor of not having to power on or off my devices just adds value. I plan to buy another one for my stereo system.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real money saver, January 9, 2008
D. Dalessio (Walpole, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this because I found out that my home theater receiver is a power hog. It uses 60 watts even when "off". I did the math, and assuming I want it on 6 hours a day, this would pay back fast. I added a few extra things: a sub woofer (6w at idle), VCR (7w when "off"), and a DVD player (2w when off). I measured all this with my Kill-a-Watt.

Add that up and you get 75w that's wasted. Multiply 75w * 18 hours a day * 365 days * $0.18 (cost of a kwh of electricity here)/1000 = $89/year in savings. This thing will take less than 6 months to pay for itself. You can plug in your own numbers and figure your payback time.

Installation was a breeze. I plugged my tv into the "control" outlet. My receiver, VCR, sub woofer, and DVD player got plugged into the switched outlets. There are some always on outlets too, and I plugged the UPS that has my Wii and TiVo into one of those.

Then I turned on the power switch. No adjustment was necessary.

Now when I turn on my TV, the receiver and sub (and the rest) turn on with it. When I turn off the TV, the rest of the stuff turns off too.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Security, September 30, 2011
Buying A Smart Strip I thought it was a good way to be green and protect my home theater system .But While Sitting in our family room with our home theater system off,Fully connected to the Smart Strip. A storm came through,a nearby lightning strike and there was a pop in our receiver. Our circuit breaker was blown and the receiver was blown. I spoke with Blitz LTD (Blitz Ltd owns the company of the Smart Strip)and was told to send the receiver out for a repair estimate and they would be put in a claim for me with the company. The repair company stated the damage to the receiver was due to a power surge, and Blitz Ltd denied the claim saying they had NO PROOF the receiver was connected to the strip. If they paid claims related to power surges they would be out of business. Meanwhile their packaging states clearly $30,000. connected equipment warranty protection. So I dont have confidence in this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the concept, but it takes some time to adjust properly, July 9, 2007
Jen F (Milford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I love the concept of this item. I really like being able to shut down all my items with the touch of one button. It makes a lot of sense. It did take some tweaking though to get the product to work properly for me. It took several days of making adjustments each time we turned our computer on and off before it worked properly. You just have to keep adjusting the little wheel until it works. I read some reviews where people said it just did not work, I think they may not have given it enough time. After I got it right (within a few days), I had to adjust it one more time. Now it has worked fine for a month or two.

2.0 out of 5 stars One Major Flaw - Impossible tuning for Computer Sleep/Standby, January 1, 2008
Kevin M. Hubbard (Issaquah, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I really wanted to like this product. It is a great idea and the design is almost perfect. The major problem with the design is a single $0.20 trimmer pot ( variable resistor ) that is used to set when your device is ON versus OFF. It is VERY hard to set. My computer in Sleep mode consumes 50W and in normal ON mode consumes 100W. Tuning the strip to recognize the difference between the two power states required about 1/10 of a degree turn - hard to do. What is worse is that even after I got it working once, temperature variation in the circuit would cause it to stop working the next day. For many applications ( for example, computer hibernate=5W, vs ON=100W ) this device works just fine. I can't recommend it for computer Standby however. If they would improve the circuit with a multi-turn pot, it would probably work great. I might try this myself after the warranty period is over. Should have been a great "Green" product, sigh....

3.0 out of 5 stars Good design with some unfortunate limitations, February 20, 2009
This product is a great idea: a power strip that helps to save electricity costs by automatically shutting down idle equipment. This power strip also has a very useful design, with outlets spaced wide enough to accommodate the "wall wart" plugs that so many manufacturers use -- Apple being one notable exception.

I decided to use it with a Netgear RND4250 ReadyNAS NV+ 1 TB Desktop Network Storage (2x500GB) that I have configured to automatically shutdown at midnight every night and then power up the next morning. When I am sleeping, I don't need all the other networking equipment (routers, switches, broadband modem, my PC's LCD monitor, etc) to be consuming power equal to a 60 watt bulb, so I plugged them into the switched outlets.

Alas, the Smart Strip I bought from Amazon isn't sensitive enough to support this kind of switching. The Smart Strip would power up the equipment perfectly when the ReadyNAS turned on, but as soon as the ReadyNAS was idle and spun down its hard drives (how I have it set), then the Smart Strip would turn the equipment off. Obviously, a Network Access Storage device isn't very useful if all the connecting network equipment is off. Despite lots of on-and-off testing while adjusting the sensitivity of the Smart Strip, I couldn't get it to keep the network equipment powered up while the ReadyNAS was idle. In my case, when it is fully active the ReadyNAS NV+ consumes between 50-60 watts and when the drives are spun down it consumes about 25-30 watts. The Smart Strip wasn't sensitive enough to recognize that about 25 watts was not "sleep" mode.

In reviewing the BITS Limited web site, it appears there are older versions of the Smart Strip that have trouble with some newer equipment and require a "3rd Generation" strip. It's possible Amazon is selling the older strips or I got a defective unit; regardless, I returned it.

I still think the Smart Strip is a great idea, the physical layout of the plugs is much better than other power strips, and it offers great surge protection at a reasonable price. Alas, I couldn't get the one I bought from Amazon to work with my equipment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Power Saver, December 17, 2007
Great product, I recommend this for every home theater, computer desk, and other places where accessories stay powered up when not being used. We put the TV on the control outlet, and the rest of the stuff on the switched outlets, so when the TV is turned off it turns everything off, and when the TV is turned on everything is automatically turned on. my Amplifier alone was drawing 20 watts when sitting idle, 20*365days*24 hours is like 175 kilowatt hours, in other words aprox 40 dollars in electric bill that we will save this year. from that device alone this power strip is well paid for.

3.0 out of 5 stars What they don't tell you, December 18, 2007
GreenGuy (Redondo Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The switched outlets in my unit wouldn't turn on unless at least 60 watts was plugged into the control outlet, no matter how the sensitivity control was adjusted. My 50 watt halogen desk lamp wasn't enough. A 70W incandescent lamp worked. Of course, the 20W desk lamp I'd originally planned to use didn't work at all. The user guide, included in the package, claims 40W incandescent is enough, but I doubt it. Why not increase the range of the sensitivity control so even a 5W lamp would work? The advertising should clearly state the minimum load required. If I have to connect a 60W lamp everytime I use my laptop and peripherals, I may actually use more energy with the Smart Strip than without it. Not so smart.

Update - January, 2008. My review was based on a *discontinued*, according to BITS LTD, model shipped by Amazon in December, 2008. I purchased a recent model directly from BITS LTD and it works fine with a new MacBook Pro laptop and acceptably (sensitivity control needs to be set very precisely) with a 5-year old Powerbook (GHz Ethernet). In each case, the power brick was plugged into the control outlet. Considering that BITS LTD and I corresponded several times to understand and correct the issues, I'd give it four stars now. I give BITS LTD five stars for support, but not the unit Amazon sold.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, December 1, 2007
C. Dillman (North Yarmouth, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
I have two installed. One at the computer and a second running off the tv. Both have worked just as advertised, set-up took seconds.

Layout is nice and unit feels well constructed. Very pleased with the purchase and would recommend to anyone with game systems, home theaters, Sat/cable boxes that only need to be powered when watching the screen.... (Also has unswitched outlets for DVRs and handheld device chargers etc...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Performed exactly as advertised, January 18, 2007
The Smart Strip is easy to use and has performed exactly as it is supposed to. The extra space for plugs with odd sizes and shapes is helpful. I don't know if it will pay for itself through energy savings in weeks as was advertised, but it definitely functions well and I'm sure the energy savings will add up over time. A good buy for anyone with lots of peripherals associated with their computer or home entertainment system.

Rate and Discover Movies