on November 8, 2013
Admittedly, as a male (and a nonreligious one at that), I'm not exactly a part of this book's target market. Still, given how much I've enjoyed Hunt's writing in other places, I figured I should give this book a go as well. I wasn't disappointed.

In the introduction, Mary writes, "I think women need a different kind of book, one without all the jargon, charts, and mind-numbing data, one that simply and honestly cuts through the complicated information that’s out there and provides just the facts and motivation they need in a warm and conversational way— the way we’d chat over coffee about something that is very important to both of us."

Mission accomplished. That's exactly what this book is.**

The book covers a wide range of topics, from budgeting, to home ownership, to paying down debt, to investing. One of my favorite sections was the chapter on choosing a financial advisor. Hunt gives very helpful warnings about some of the pitfalls you'll want to be sure to avoid.

I also especially enjoyed the discussion of paying for your children's education. It's a bit of a "tough love" message, but that's what many people need. Most families simply cannot afford to send each of their children to four (or more!) years of private university education, while still saving sufficiently for retirement.

**As a side note, if you're the spreadsheet-loving type who *does* enjoy charts, data, and technical details, I highly recommend a book by another smart woman: Control Your Retirement Destiny by Dana Anspach.
on November 5, 2013
The Smart Woman's Guide to Planning for Retirement, is a helpful `how to' guide for planning for retirement.

The book is based on six strategies for getting on track to a successful financially secure retirement:

Develop a money management system
Build an emergency fund
Get out of debt
Maximize your retirement accounts
Own you home outright
Build your personal investment portfolio

Mary takes you through all six strategies and shows you how to make the most of each one. I was delighted to find a bunch of NEW information that I didn't know, and some great practical advice on how to get started if you are, ahem, a bit closer to retirement than you'd like.

This book will help you get prepared for retirement no matter how old you are, how much money you saved or haven't saved, or if you make very little in way of salary. The six strategies will help you get in the best possible position you can be in for retirement. Although this book is based on the six strategies, there are chapters that cover how much you'll need in retirement, social security, savings accounts with the highest interest amounts and investment strategies that ANYONE can do.

A must read for anyone wanting to prepare for retirement!!
on November 6, 2013
Unfortunately, this is not the book that is going to tell you how you can live it up today and still manage to have money in the future. It is another one of those control your expenses and save your money books. While aimed at women, it has advice that both men and women should follow. Mary Hunt recommends getting out of debt, saving regularly, buying half the house you can afford and paying the house off early. She recommends maxing out your Roth IRA before putting more money than necessary to gain an employer match in a 401k plan because of the high fees associated with 401k plans.

While most of the book will appeal to anyone looking for a basic financial planning information. However, there is one chapter that discusses financial planning in relation to the Bible, particularly as it relates to the parable of the talents. There are also small references to God in other places in the book. If you are looking for a book that honors Christian religious beliefs while discussing financial planning, this may appeal to you.

In general the book is short, easy to read, and is written in a conversational style. It manages to convey basic information without assuming the reader is stupid.

I'd like to thank the publisher for providing a complimentary review copy. Grade: B.

"Available November 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."
on March 29, 2014
It is a very basic book for women who have no idea what to do. I was actually hoping it would help me understand investments and explain IRA's and 401Ks but it didn't.
on November 6, 2013
In The Smart Woman's Guide to Retirement, Mary Hunt explains why we as women need to be thinking about the issue of retirement....no matter our age.

This book isn't full of complicated charts and investment numbers, it's filled with practical, hard-core advice to get your spending in order, debt paid off, and a solid emergency fund built. And the author does all this before diving into retirement and investing principles!

You will really be empowered to start saving right away, even if it's just a little bit each month in a personal savings account. It's the little things that add up to big accomplishments!
on December 8, 2013
Mary gives you a way out and a way to set yourself up for future successes. She writes in a clear manner. Explains the process by way of her own experiences. As in life we tend to excel at what our life experiences shape us. She was/is able to grow greatly from her debtors life and give back to others who haven't found a way to stop following the same patterns over and over again.
She differs to the advice of Dave Ramsey, and Steve Repak but the outcome leads to the same successes. As they say in dog training pick the program that works for you and don't mix and match processes. Basically its the disapline to stick to it and Mary gives you examples that worked for her that may help you turn the corner as well. Peace be with you and remember you weren't give the tools to fail. God graces gave us all the power of self control (2.Timothy 1:7) Its learning this and believing in oneself following a set path that liberates for once and for all. Thanks Mary for your help in discerning this truth.
on November 8, 2013
Mary Hunt in her new book, “The Smart Woman’s Guide To Planning For Retirement” published by Revell shows us How to Save for Your Future Today.

From the back cover: The knowledge and confidence you need to shape your future—today

What do you want to do when you retire? Travel? Pursue hobbies? Spend time with friends and family? If you want to turn those dreams into reality, you need a plan. If you’re not sure where to start, you need personal financial expert Mary Hunt.

With her signature no-nonsense, energetic style, Mary clearly covers every aspect of retirement planning during every season of your life–all in language you can understand. Whether you’re staring retirement in the face or you have decades of work ahead of you, Mary offers sound advice on everything from savings and investment to debt reduction and Social Security.

Let us face the truth. According to a 2012 survey, 92 percent of women of all ages in this country don’t feel they’re educated enough to reach their retirement savings goals. Not only is that a staggering statistic it is also frightening. It is time to provide a tool for women to use to plan for and manage retirement. Mary Hunt has done exactly that with “The Smart Woman’s Guide To Planning For Retirement”. In twenty chapters Ms. Hunt outlines the plans that we need to implement such as pay off debt, save an emergency fund, pay cash and not charge and then goes one step further. Chapter sixteen’s title is “Popular Ways To Commit Financial Suicide”. If you think you ever will want to retire and actually enjoy your retirement then you need to read this book. ”The Smart Woman’s Guide To Planning For Retirement” is a must have book. You might want to hold it in a special place on your shelf you might be referring to it again and again. This is also a great book to give as gifts to family and friends. They will think of you every time they put it to use. I recommend it highly.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Revell. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

“Available November 2013 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”
on November 9, 2013
Mary Hunt's latest book is a must-read for women of any age! "The Smart Woman's Guide to Planning for Retirement: how to save for your future today" is not light reading, but something so important to begin reading today! Mary is such a great author and the perfect person to write on this subject. Her style of writing is so easy to read, especially when it is the serious stuff, like the subject of money and saving money. Mary shares her own experiences, stories and opinions mixed in with facts and research giving the reader a lot to think about and the motivation to make some lifestyle and financial changes. The chapters are relatively short and not overwhelming to read. There are so many great tips in here and easy approaches to begin saving today for retirement. I highly recommend this book, one to begin today!

on May 22, 2014
Just Get This Book!! There is so much information in the pages and yet you will not get bored. I gave this book 5/5 stars. I liked the idea of the book and thought the author did an excellent job of showing the steps to take to be comfortable when you retire. This is not a boring or monotonous book! I found the author’s writing style to be entertaining and informative. I would recommend this book to all women, no matter the age!

I would like to thank the publisher for the copy of this book I enjoyed reading. I gave an honest review based on my opinion of what I read.
on April 28, 2014
I liked the overall message of this book, which is for women, especially those getting closer to retirement, to really start planning. The advice is very sound, and Hunt brings her own experiences, good and bad, to bear on what she says. I am following some of her recommendations now. Only one aspect was off-putting and that was her use of religion and Biblical quotes. I wasn't really expecting that.