Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 10, 2002
I am a 29 year old mother of a two year old girl and my husband and I have our own business. I knew absolutely nothing about investing but I felt that we were getting older and we needed to start thinking about saving for the future. This book has opened up a new world to me. We have very little money and I was scared to risk or needlessly spend what we do have. This book has shown me how to secure our financial future. Before this book I never even considered getting life insurance. After reading this book, the first thing I did was go out and buy a term life policy so my daughter will be protected in case anything happens to my husband or myself. My insurance agent was so impressed at what I knew about life insurance that he told me that 95% of the people he sold insurance to did not have my insurance buying knowledge. I learned everything I knew about life insurance in 20 minutes from reading this book. This book lays out in terms that anyone can understand how to protect your family and make your dreams come true. Being a small business owner I especailly appreciated Davids advice for those of us who are self employed. The best part of this book is the section that shows you do not have to be rich to save and invest. Even those of us with modest incomes can achieve our financial goals. It's all about make wise spending choices. The wisest choice of all would be to buy this book! I can't really say enough good things about it. The only part missing for me was a section on investing for college. I was looking for some advice on how to invest for my daughter's college education. I also bought Suze Orman's book Road to Wealth and this topic is covered quite thoroughly in there. Actually whenever I have a financial decision to make I read the topic in David's book and then follow up with Suze's for a second opinion. They always seem to agree in their own ways and I feel like I am making the best decision I can to secure my family's financial future.
11 comment|167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2004
I'm turning 40 next year, and I've done a fair share of reading/research on retirement planning -- not a lot, mind you, but a fair bit. Much of it was dry, boring, or just plain incomprehensible. As a result, my savings and investing were haphazard (at best), and my record keeping was, frankly, pathetic.

"Smart Women Finish Rich" has motivated me like nothing else has. I don't know if it's because it's easier to understand and doesn't through a lot of jargon around, or if it's because Bach is so personable and seems genuinely interested in his readers.

What really lit the fire underneath me though were the various charts he had illuminating the value of compounded interest, using time to your advantage, etc. Now, this is something we all "know" at the intellectual level, but the way he presented it was enough to get me off my rear and working on putting my financial house in order.

In the past several days, I have set up my filing system, reviewed my IRA account, requested and reviewed my credit report, opened an account for my "emergency fund" and scheduled automatic deposits, and made a plan for paying down credit card debt. In the next week I'll get the ball rolling to contribute to my employer's 401(k) and get estate planning done for myself and my husband.

I can't say enough good things about how this book has helped me put my financial priorities in order. The reduction in my anxiety level over money is amazing. Well worth it!
on August 11, 2011
If you already are a saver or slightly financially savvy, this book is useless: Its a book to convince you to save money and contribute to your 401k. It uses alot of embelished examples: if you put $2000 in an account now and it earns 10% interest look how much money you have when you are 65!!! True, but anyone out there know of a stock or bond or CD earning 10% a year? Or if you buy a house now and it doubles in value, what a great investment. True, spend 50K now and get out 100K. If you pay rent, you lose that money: but by owning you also have property taxes, insurance, HOA fees, repairs like a roof, interest on the home loan to consider, not to mention, do you live in a housing market that will double in 20 years? The vast majority of the country does not.
on October 3, 2004
A couple of reviewers blasted this book as being useless rehashed financial advice. I'll bet you anything that those reviewers didn't really give the book a chance. I know because I almost didn't, and initially I had the same reaction as they did.

I'm an intelligent woman, my father and grandmother both taught me about investing growing up...also, as another reviewer mentioned, there are some pretty hokey "personal accounts" used to illustrate lessons, that I could have done without. I bought the book at the airport for something to read on the plane and if I wasn't forced into a situation where I had nothing else to read, I probably never would have made it past the first couple of chapters. I'm so so so very glad that I did.

You can't just skim this book for the bits you think are relevant to you; you have to really get into it. Read it from cover to cover, then go back and start working on the charts like the "values ladder" and "Goals for Designing a Proactive Life" worksheet. Why? Because they make you look long and hard at your own value system, visualize the future you want for yourself, and then write down specific and measurable steps to take to get there...no matter how modest those step may be initially.

I don't make a lot of money, and despite what my father and grandma taught me I've accrued almost 15 grand in credit card debt, not to mention college loans. I work in a field that doesn't really inspire me because I've always wanted to be a full-time artist.

Until I read this book that was just a far off dream. I never really thought about what it would take for me to get there. As Bach says, until you write a goal down with specific steps as to how you will accomplish it, it's not a goal, just a wish that probably won't come true.

It's only been a week and I've already learned so much about myself as well as my finances and I'm happy to say that I've worked out a plan where I will be able to quit my current job and work as a full-time artist within the next ten years. To say this book has changed my life is an understatement. Like many other reviewers before me, I'm buying copies for everyone I know.
on August 22, 2003
Absolutely the best financial and inspirational book I have ever read. This is a very personable, well written, understandable, humerous educational read. A man writing for women, where did this guy come from?
I enjoyed the fact David shared with us his own personal experiences, making him immediately "real" and trustworthy to the reader. The author speaks of his grandmother, Rose which instantly allows the reader to recognize this author as a sincere, honest and heart felt man.
I was so impressed by the author that I have put my complete trust in him and have decided to follow his advice to the "T". This is an easy step by step book that anyone can follow. I will keep you posted with the results.
This is a MUST READ for every woman, therefore I have purchased one for my boss, co-worker and sister. I sat my mother (who is visiting me from California) down with Smart Women Finish Rich, she's hooked and she is not even a reader. In addition, I have also ordered Smart Couples Finish Rich for my husband and I to get busy on our plan together.
I have been so uplifted and inspired by this author that I am sharing the good news with every woman I know. I visited the David Bach web-site and signed up to receive his personal newsletter. David shares in his newsletter similar to the way he shares in his book; you feel as if you know him personally and that he truly cares about his audience. The newsletter contains updated information concerning financial matters directly from the author, so be sure to sign up. The site also offers resource information and contact e-mail addresses. I am astonished with the personal response I receive each time I e-mail with a question or comment- What an actual response?
David shares with his audience "how to" and how he did, he offers excellent encouragement and inspiration.
David Bach Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your contributions and sharing your wealth of knowledge with us. Keep up the good work!
on February 6, 2004
I bought this book after seeing David Bach on Oprah Winfrey. I have, for a long time, been wanting to save money but it never seemed to work. I worried about my future and wanted desperately to invest my money so that when I retired one day I wouldn't have to worry if Social Security would still be around. Of course, I thought you had to have thousands of dollars to do this & so I thought I was hopeless. I bought this book thinking it might give me some ideas, that I would flip around to different chapters & only read what I thought I had to. I was WRONG! David's writing grabs you from the first page. I was actually enjoying reading a financial book like you would a good novel! Not only does the book lay out your options in an easy format but he tells funny & engaging stories from his past that relate to the subject. In just a few nights I found out that I can save and/or invest with as little as $50, learned all there was to know about IRA's, 401k, Mutual Funds, Bonds, and my best options for a person my age. Also given are website addresses to go for more information or to begin saving right from your home. By the time I was done reading I was excited & couldn't wait to begin. David not only has the skill to teach you to make your life better financially, but to get you excited about it! Whether you are 20 or 50 years old, David shows you what to do, and I am thankful he did!
on April 14, 2002
I LOVED this book, It really helped me put my financial and future life in order. I am 33 and am a model and have been sort of investing in my future but wasn't sure if I was on the right track. I had tried to read many other books on financial success and ask financial advisors my questions but was always confused and thought the books were a snore. I picked up Davids book at a bookstore and literally could not put it down. It was so insightful, and easy to read, it has many real life instances that we as women can relate to and helps you understand in plain english how to make the most of your life. I know now what to do with my investments and how to make the most of my financial and personal life. I have bought this book for many friends and family, they all love it and are on their way to retiring rich!!!!
Whether you are married or single you as a woman should know everything about your finances and this is a great and easy way to get started on the right track!! It is hard to explain how many ways this book can help your life, its just the best book you could ever read for your present and future wellbeing!!!
on February 26, 2005
This book was recommended by my financial planner, and it is the best book I have read on the subject. I bought it only a couple months ago and have already started to see thousands of dollars in savings. The best thing about the book is that it gives you the confidence to be able to make financial decisions on your own, especially as a woman, for the benefit of the entire family. I would recommend this book for every woman.
on March 10, 2005
This is essential reading and a wake up call for women of ALL ages. In fact, this type of book should be required reading for girls in high school. Girls and women should learn to be financially independent/proactive early in life and not expect to be financially dependent upon their parents, partners, families or children. Also, it is reassuring to read that it is NEVER too late to begin saving for retirement and *everything else* This book can not only improve your financial life but your emotional health.
on September 5, 2002
I've read about 90 books on personal finance, frugality, etc., in the past year. This is THE BEST. PERIOD. Bach doesn't tell you how to get rich. He talks to you, coaches you, cajoles you to figure out what's really important to you. And then he tells you how to fund those important goals. I've never seen such a beautiful blend of coaching and advice. After reading the couples version of this book, I got my husband to read it, and then we held a "Finance Night" in which we did all the exercises, talked them through, went over our budgets, insurance coverage, etc., and then came up with a 10-step action plan. This book motivated us to do all that! I've since read the version for women and am getting copies for every one in both our families for Christmas. I personally can't remember the specific financial advice Bach gives. Personally, I think financial strategies need to change as events and circumstances change. I don't need a book for specific strategies. I needed a book to help me figure out very specifically what we wanted out of life, and get me motivated to move in that direction! And that's what this book did.