4.0 out of 5 stars the real "Ultimate" scratcher for big kitties
There are a lot of reasons to love Bootsie's Combination Scratcher. My top 3 reasons are that it's reasonably priced, that it doesn't take up any floor space when wall-mounted, and that it accomodates my large cats better than any other scratcher out there.

Published on July 18, 2011 by Amber

3.0 out of 5 stars High quality product that my cat won't use
I would definitely give this product a 5 star rating if I could get my cat to use it for its intended purpose. It is well made, has some heft to it and has a thick sisal wrapping around the board. In theory it is a great idea.

Published on May 6, 2012 by Value Conscious Consumer

4.0 out of 5 stars the real "Ultimate" scratcher for big kitties, July 18, 2011
Amber (Baton Rouge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)

Most of our cats are big. Not necessarily fat, but enough taller and longer than your average cat that most scratching posts just don't accomodate their scratching needs. There are a few "extra tall" scratchers out there. About 3 years ago we ordered "The Ultimate Scratching Post", also made by SmartCat, using Fresh Step Paw Points. At 32" tall, it was the tallest thing we could find at the time, and it looked better than most scratches too. It's held up well, but it has its drawbacks. At 32" tall and with a 16" x 16" base, the "Ultimate" scratcher is a serious piece of furniture that takes up a good deal of floor space and doesn't work in just any room. At ~$50 each, buying "Ultimate" scratchers for more than 1 room would be kind of expensive anyway. And as large as it is, the "Ultimate" scratcher still isn't quite "Ultimate" enough for my big boys. I often see them with their paws extended over the top of the "Ultimate" scratcher, wishing it was just a little taller, and every once in a while one of them takes a running, flying leap onto the top of it, and that 16" x 16" base doesn't stand a chance. It topples anyway.

If this sounds familiar, try the Bootsie Combination Scratcher! When I purchased ours, I caught them on sale for just $15 each. Even at $25, they're still a lot cheaper than most large scratchers and only half the cost of the "Ultimate" scratcher. The beauty of the Bootsie scratcher is that you can mount it just as high up on the wall as you need. For us, that meant mounting it to where the top would be higher up than the top of the "Ultimate" scratcher, so that our biggest cats could stretch out fully without ever running out of scratching surface. In effect, it's even "taller" than the "Ultimate" post, but at half the cost and with no loss of floor space. And our cats love the Bootsie Combination Scratcher too, though to be fair, our cats are very good about using scratchers and aren't overly picky about the type of scratching surface. I would have been more surprised if they *didn't* like it. It's also a relatively nice-looking scratcher.

The only reason I don't give the Bootsie Combination Scratcher 5 stars is because it really needs 2 keyhole mounting points on the back rather than just the 1. I'm sure the manufacturer figured that the rubbery feet would keep the scratcher from shifting around when wall-mounted, and while that might be the case with some smaller cats, it doesn't work that way for us. When 16 lbs of vigorously scratching kitty comes up against a scratcher being held in place by a single keyhole mount, that scratcher is going to move. It's not uncommon for us to find the scratchers at odd angles on the wall, having pivoted on the single screw that holds it up. But we're able to move them back into a straight, vertical position easily, and it its credit, the assembly has never fallen off the wall!

5.0 out of 5 stars My cats seem to love it!, August 23, 2009
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
I have four cats and so far I've seen three of them scratching away at this thing almost immediately after I got it last week. It seems to be pretty resilient as well. Well worth the purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Cat Scratcher, June 4, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
This cat scratcher is really well made. It's fairly heavy and grips the floor well with its rubber 'feet'. I tempted the cats into using it by sprinkling some catnip on the sisal scratching area. This unit is much more substantial, and less messy, than the corrigated cardboard cat scratching products that are out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars great cat-scratcher!, March 9, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
my cats love it! well worth the money! I have tried all kinds of cat-scratching pads over the years--cardboard, carpet, sissel rope, and all make-shift variations of these. This is so much better!
cats love it--either lying down horizontal, or mounted to wall vertically. its sturdy, the sissel doesn't come off and make a mess, its like a tight woven sissel carpet. its easy to mount to the wall.
love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing rules, June 24, 2010
Alee "milosh" (San Francisco, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
Worth every penny - this thing never wears out. The only reason we got this last one as a replacement was because our cat puked on the previous one. You can't change the cloth so we had to get a new one. Other than that, top notch product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scratcher, October 9, 2010
Mark Jennette (Portland, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
My cat enjoys using this. I have it a few feet from his food bowl. He always has to use the scratcher before he eats.

3.0 out of 5 stars High quality product that my cat won't use, May 6, 2012
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)

I have tried putting dried catnip on it; spraying it with catnip spray; orienting it both horzontally and vertically near areas she likes to scratch; incorporating it into play by shining a laser light on it or dragging a play item over it.

My cat, though, seems to prefer some area rugs. At least I have gotten her away from scratching furniture through positive reinforcement. I 'gave' her the area rugs, as she chose old ones that I really don't care too much about. You have to pick your battles carefully with felines!

She does seem to like the cat tree that I purchased for her, and she will occasionally scratch on the tree's sisal columns. Why she won't scratch on the board covered with a similar material remains a mystery to me. I will keep trying to get her to use it, and maybe one day she'll cave in!

5.0 out of 5 stars SmartCat Scratcher, June 29, 2011
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
My cat was scratching the corner of my new wool area rug and pulling out tufts of yarn (even though he and his buddy have a cat tree with sisal posts that goes almost to the ceiling...). I placed this scratcher on the rug in that corner, sprayed it with catnip spray, sprinkled it with a little dry catnip, and we were off and running pretty much immediately. They both love it, and I am happy because my rug is no longer being damaged. This product is sturdy and looks nice, too. It was totally worth the cost- way cheaper than a new rug!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scratcher, October 13, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
My cats love this scratcher. We have the upright Ultimate Scratching Post for when they want to stretch upwards and scratch, and we got this one for when they want to scratch on a horizontal surface. They use both and have left our furniture alone. The sisal is very durable - I expect this will last at least two years with two cats using it daily. Will definitely purchase again once we need a new one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Find One Thing Wrong With This Yet, November 22, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher (Kitchen)
This product was heaven sent. My female cat has stopped scratching the couch (almost-she just does it for attention now) completely since we put this down. We've had this for a few months and it still looks great. It's also very chic looking and not tacky-which you would think it might look since it just lays on the ground. Plus, it's cheaper for us to buy it here on amazon(we live in Hawai'i)than in the pet store. We'll be purchasing another one soon.

SmartCat Bootsie's Combination Scratcher