1,889 Reviews

Published on March 26, 2008 by J. Fuchs

1,014 of 1,020 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Never Believed It Would Work, February 6, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
After reading the reviews and losing all of my security deposit (and then some) from my last apartment due to my cat's constant scratching of the woodwork, I decided to try this item. I really had my doubts about my luck with it as my cat can be very fussy about being directed to do anything like where to scratch. At 1st, as some dissatisfied users reported, my cat showed absolutely no interest in the post. When he would scratch the woodwork, I would place him at the post and he not only showed no interest in the post, but even retracted his claws as a further insult.
I thought "another waste of money." Then I remembered that one of the posts I read in the reviews was from a lady who had the same disinterested reaction from her cat and who enticed her cat to scratch the post by teasing the cat with his favorite swinging cat toy on top of and around the post. Feeling I had nothing to lose, I gave it a try and I simply couldn't believe it. The cat dug his claws deep into the post while swatting at the cat toy and the rest is history. He became so interested in the scratching post that he forgot the toy. Afterwards, he tried to scratch the walls only a few times and just saying "no' sent him to the nearby cat toy. Another good recommendation I read was to place the scratching post near where most of his scratching behavior usually takes place.
I also want to comment on how sturdy this item is. It only took about a minute or so to assemble and is solidly constructed and not likely to tip over. I have a huge Ragdoll cat over 20 pounds of muscle and he hasn't knocked it over yet and he vigorously uses the post now. Sorry for this being so lengthy, but I hope it can help someone who, like me, was a sceptic and at first thought this isn't going to work. Thanks to whomever posted the hint about using the cat toy to provoke interest in the post. You saved me a lot of heartache.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cat Scratching Post I Have Ever Purchased!, April 18, 2006
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
Have your cats clawed your furniture a little? Maybe a lot? We have 9 cats, and our furniture was being clawed to the point where we had to make repairs. If the clawing had continued it would mean replacing some furniture pieces. That gets expensive!! Well, I found these cat scratching posts and bought two of them. Wonder of wonders, our cats use these wonderful scratching posts exclusively. No more damage to our furniture. Our cats love the height of the posts as they can stand and reach to claw the posts like they used to like to do with our furniture. Average height scratching posts just did not satisfy our cats' urge to stretch tall and scratch or claw at the same time. With these posts, they can satisfy that urge to their hearts' content. These posts may seem more expensive than the average post, but believe me, the furniture you were thinking you would have to replace is going to be much more expensive. These posts are attractive with any decor, and stand the test of use over time. I would happily buy these scratching posts again. But they are durable, and I don't need to do that. They have paid for themselves many times over. I highly recommend them to anyone with cats who are tearing up the furniture. These posts stop that activity completely, in my experience. Give them a try, and you'll see!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for every cat (UPDATE), May 5, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I bought the Ultimate Scratching Post after having read so many recommendations. I have to admit, this post is a nice size. It's sturdy and attractive. However, my kitty will have nothing to do with it. I've tried enticing her with catnip and toys. I've even scratched it myself, which got her attention, but no go. She'd rather scratch my furniture. Considering the price, I regret buying it.

________________

UPDATE: Despite not being used, I left this post out near my furniture. After some months, my cat has discovered it and found that she likes it. So for those whose cats haven't taken to the post, there is hope. I will increase the star rating to four stars. Not all cats will take to this post right away; but if they do, it's a very nice, attractive post that's sturdy and holds up well.

________________

UPDATE #2: It's been about eight months now. After the initial disappointment, I am delighted that my cat loves this scratching post. I have actually bought another one, because one just isn't enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart Cat Ultimate Scratching Post--the BEST!!!, August 29, 2006
mcnini_77 (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
My cats love this thing! It is tall enough for them to stretch out and scratch their little hearts out, and they climb all over it and even sit on top of it! Well worth the mony spent! And it has a wide base, so the thing doesnt even tilt when they attack it full force running full speed from across the room!

Every cat owner should get one of these for their cats. Declawing is cruel and who needs it with an awesome scratching post like this? I plan on ordering two more for other rooms in my house.

Update: June 2009...it has been three years and this scratching post is still standing. In fact, it still looks almost brand new. my cats use it daily =) HIGHLY RECOMMEND!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective **Updated October 2013 **, November 6, 2007
Menthol Rum (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
This is a simple but well made scratching post that you need to put together. It took me literally less than 2 minutes with a screwdriver and it was ready to go. I may be lucky, but my 2 cats took right to it immediately and scratched to their heart's content. The instructions suggested placing in front of something they are currently scratching. I did put it in front of the (NEW!) couch that they had started to go after. Now, they no longer scratch the chair, couch or mattress. I hadn't known that cats needed to stretch and scratch and I should have had one a long time ago. They are obviously content with a place to fully stretch and scratch and I no longer worry about having things shredded. This post is worth the money and I'm happy with it.

Edit: 11/2010
This scratch post is still going strong after 3 years. The top had become decently frayed enough, so instead of buying a new one, I simply unscrewed it so it was in its original state from when I first got it. I then switched the end caps which allowed me to turn it upside down and put it all back together. Now the untouched lower portion is at the top. It's now like a new post! At this rate, I'll need another in 3 more years. 6 years from this post? Not bad.

Edit: 10/2013
6 years it is! (Ok, about two weeks shy...) I just bought a new one. I added photos here as well, one photo of the old next to the new and one of the bottom with great information and tips to get your cat to use the post. This was a well used post and I still recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 9, 2011
Length:: 0:15 Mins

My cat took a while to warm up to it. I almost gave up on it, and started storing her treats on top of it, and then eventually I noticed her treats were making their way onto the floor, and now she is all about this scratching post -even though I have stopped storing the treats on it. I like that it doesn't tip over on her like her old scratching post did. I am surprised especially when she climbs it, that it remains steady -she's not a light weight cat. It's been very good for her muscles as she is an older cat. About a year after I got this, the vet commented on how great her muscle tone was for her age. It was the first vet visit in a long time when I wasn't lectured that my cat was too fat. I highly recommend this scratching post!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, March 11, 2007
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I bought this post for my two adult cats, who were using nothing but those cardboard scratchers. At first they didn't take to the new post. So I rubbed some catnip into the sisal and that seemed to make them more interested. What did the trick was a .99 cat toy with a "raccoon" tail at the end of a 12 inch stick. They love that thing, so I had them chase it right to the post and voila! They both scratch on the post regularly and seem to love how they can climb taller with each scratch. Very good buy, now I'm thinking of getting another one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks great, but my 3 cats all give it a pass, March 26, 2008
J. Fuchs "jax76" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I have three cats, one of whom only likes sisal, and none of them will use it. I've put it where their favorite scratching post normally went, dangled toys over it, and although they'll trap a toy against it, none of them has the slightest inclination to scratch it. The sisal isn't the ropey stuff that normally gets wrapped around carpeted scratching posts. It's really smooth feeling so maybe that's why. On the plus side it looks great and it's really tall, which would be nice for my cat that likes to stretch all the way up when she scratches, but no dice. Better looking than most, so one extra star for that. It would be a five-star if my cats would use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total success, March 17, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I actually didn't order this scratching post from Amazon, as the supplier who ships it doesn't ship to my location (Canada) so I got it through a Canadian supplier. I normally don't write reviews but I was so pleased with this scratching post I couldn't resist!

I have two big male cats one of whom is a vertical scratcher. I moved recently and the thought of having my furniture ripped to shreds was giving me nightmares. I decided to order this post because of the excellent reviews. My cat, the vertical scratcher, is a big alpha cat and is just not easily trained to do anything I want him to do. I put "sticky paws" strips on the corners of my couches and this post in a central location and I have saved my furniture (and his claws). I couldn't be happier.

To get him interested in using it, I dangled toys off of it, ropes, etc., and I put treats on the top. After a few nights of treats on the top of the post and scratching it myself (lol) he was using it on his own. The first time I heard that scratching sound I came running, terrified that he was clawing my couch or something, and instead, it was the post! The poor guy ran off like a lightening bolt, probably assuming I was about to scold him for scratching, (the usual result), but instead he got treats for being such a good boy. I am so thrilled with this post, it was worth the almost $100 I paid for it after the price for shipping.

**************************************Update January 2011**************************************

I wanted to post an update because within the past several months, my other cat, the one who was completely disinterested in the post, has now become a big fan. He's never been one to scratch anything other than carpets that are flat on the ground, but he's decided he loves this post too. So like some others have said, sometimes it doesn't happen overnight. Now I've got both of them taking turns scratching it. It was an excellent investment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice, But Doesn't Attract Kitties, June 5, 2008
This review is from: SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I really, really wanted to like this scratching post. It has a more modern look than other scratching posts. But, the kitties aren't really interested in using it. In fact, one of the kitties prefers to scratch on the carpet instead of this post. I also purchased the Molly and Friends sisal-wrapped post, and my carpet-scratching kitty immediately went for it instead. If you know that your kitty already prefers this style of post (sisal-woven), this Ultimate Post is a great item. However, if your kitties prefer the sisal-wrapped posts, I would recommend the Molly and Friends posts instead.

ARRAY(0xa1abdd14)