5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!
Published on July 3, 2010 by SqueakyJeans

3.0 out of 5 stars not great
Published on July 14, 2006 by L. K. Riera

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best!, July 3, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter (Misc.)
I've been buying little disposable cat grass kits for a few years now and this one is far superior to the others. What I love most is that when the kitties eat the grass, they can't pull the container around or tip it over because of the wooden base. It's nice and sturdy. Kitties love the grasses. I paid between $1.99 and $3.99 for the disposable grass kits and they only lasted a few weeks at best. I bought this over a month ago and the grass is still growing strong, so it is a great value. I also bought some refills to save on shipping, and I'm glad I did. Out of 3 cats, only 1 doesn't eat the grass (at least not when I'm looking).

Some people have mentioned that the seeds didn't sprout and it got moldy. I had no problems at all. You need to be sure to keep the seeds moist (a spray bottle works great) yet also be sure to empty any water left in the bottom so it doesn't sit in water. If you're dilligent the first few days, I think you will increase your chances of success. But I wonder if maybe the people who experienced mold might have started their kits during cooler weather...that could increase the chances of mold rather than germination. Be sure to put in a sunny or very bright window (warmer temps) right after planting.

No doubt that I will be buying the refills for this for years. If you're worried that your kitty may not eat the grass, just buy a cheapie disposable one to test it out first...if he/she eats it, you will surely have a hit with the 4 grasses that come with this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to grow, my cat enjoys nibbling on it, April 1, 2007
I bought Kitty's Garden after I first discovered my cat trying to nibble on all the fake plants in my home. I had to spray those with bitter apple just to get him to stop. I was a bit skeptical about buying the pre-grown pots of grass from the pet store, because I bought those in the past for my gerbils and they wilted quickly after purchase. I do not have a "green thumb" in any way, shape or form (hence all the fake plants in my place), but decided to buy this one because it boasted a nice variety of organic grasses for my spoiled cat and the wood container was adorable.

I found this kit very easy to use. So easy, in fact, that I started my garden in my office and left it on the window ledge there for the first week. Of the four grains offered, I found that the barley one didn't thrive in my kit. A bit of sparse grass grew from that compartment, but overall barley was a disappointment. However, I still highly recommend this kit to any other pet owner that needs some grass for their four-legged "pet-kid".

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty's Garden Edible Grass Planter, September 6, 2010
hesstowell (boston/georgia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter (Misc.)
This is a great idea, well made box, and it's just perfect!

I originally started out looking for some grass seeds for my kitties since they love to munch on EVERYTHING- not to mention I always have to move flowers so they can't reach them for their safety and the plants. When I saw this I thought it was the cutest box I had ever saw then I remembered it wasn't for me rather the cats! I felt the box alone was worth the price so I ordered it.

When I opened the package I was highly surprised at how "real" the planter felt, not cheap like most things you buy. That had partially won me over already- the quality, but then I saw the handwriting printed on it and what do you know? It looks great! It has oats- wheat- rye- barley written across the top and kitty's garden below it.

The planter itself consists of the wood box (of course), an open plastic container for catching water, and a plastic container with four sections to hold the seeds. The seeds drain and the wood stays nice, everyone's happy and wins.

The soil had me confused at first because I had no idea they now wrapped soil in netting, but they do! You remove the netting and place each soil pod into a single container and fill with 3/4(?) ounces of warm water and wait ten minutes for the soil to absorb the water. You then remove a teaspoon of soil from each container (keep it seperated) and place the seeds into the spot where the soil was removed then cover them- don't forget to remove the open container and empty the drained water from when the soil was soaking.

I planted the seeds two days ago and can already see sprouts so I expect them to be ready by next week or so. Basically, as I mentioned before the box is worth the buy. I can't really comment on the seeds since mine are growing and others had problems. However, you can always buy your own seeds and a small bag of soil that you know is trustworthy and just plant them in this awesome box!

3.0 out of 5 stars not great, July 14, 2006
only three of the four types of seed really sprouted. my cat loved it and munched on it constantly. however, just about a week ago, it all pretty much died. maybe my cat munched too hard? i still have the nice container, so i'm just going to get the seeds it came with and replant them in the container. maybe thats what i should have done to begin with. its a nice container though.

1.0 out of 5 stars Infested with bugs, July 22, 2009
Cherri Hayley (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter (Misc.)
I bought this product thinking that my cat would love it, but unfortunately I had to throw it away before I could even give it to her. Within a day of planting, the whole thing was infested with bugs and little things flying around. At first I thought perhaps it was the location and moved it elsewhere in my home, but there were bugs there in a new room just a few hours later. Eventually I went to check the seed packets, because I hadn't used all of them, and they were actually inside the seed packets - I had no idea that could even happen. It was really gross and after 2 days even though one was sprouting, it was covered in mold. There is no way on earth, even if the grass grew - that I would risk feeding to this my two kitties.

I have bought loads of Smart cat products before, and while the others have been great - this was a complete disappointment and failure. Maybe it was a dud, but I'm very upset with the product and company right now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chomp, chomp, January 24, 2013
Length:: 0:25 Mins

I took this video right after I showed the newly-grown grass to my cats for the first time. Following the included instructions, the four types of seeds grew to the length in the video in one week. They've been enjoying it - both eating the grass and occasionally pulling pieces out to play with. The included planter is well-designed: attractive and fairly heavy.

Tip - one reviewer noted that the replacement grass does not include the instructions that come with the planter. While it's not rocket science, I will need to refer to the instructions for at least the first couple re-plants. So, to keep them handy, I store the instructions underneath the bottom black plastic container (between the black container and the planter.)

Edit - one week after posting this video, all of the grasses are much taller, thicker, and lusher. I've been adding a bit of water every day to keep it moist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Planter, Only 3/4 of Seeds Sprouted, September 9, 2010
Jaewing (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter (Misc.)
This is a cute little planter for the cat's grass. Like several others have mentioned, though, only three of the seed varieties included in the kit sprouted. The fourth variety moldered without sprouting at all. However, the planter is sturdy and attractive and the remaining seeds grew quite well.

I'll definitely continue using the planter but I will be planting my own seeds instead of buying the company's refills, considering a quarter of their product was useless. I found out that the standard 12 oz plastic container that tofu comes in fits in the planter quite perfectly, so I'll probably toss out four compartment liner and replant more grass using a tofu container as the liner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product-Cat Grass Planter, January 11, 2011
This review is from: SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter (Misc.)
Excellent quality product. The base is well made of good quality materials, it is sturdy and heavy enough so it doesn't move when your cat eats the grass. It comes with 2 liners, one to catch the excess water (so your grass isn't waterlogged) and a second with 4 sections for each of the 4 types of grasses. There is also a clear cover to use until the seeds germinate. It comes with 4 packets of different types of grass seed and soil "plugs" which expand when water is added. The directions were sort of hidden inside one of the liners.

A couple tips, uncover the container once the seeds sprout to prevent mold growth. My cats wanted to eat the grass before the roots were well established (which meant when they tried to eat it, the root came out with the blade of grass). Until the roots were established to hold on their own, I cut pieces off with a scissors for them to eat). To protect it from them, I sometimes loosely covered it with a white plastic grocery bag so light could still reach the plants. Even with the bag, they were still trying to get to the grass.

I let them have the grass planter every couple of days. They are in cat heaven, this is definitely a treat for them. At this time of year the grass outside is under 5 feet of snow, so it is nice for me to see something fresh and green too.

4.0 out of 5 stars yummy for my kitties, September 7, 2008
huzz "georgie girl" (Tallahassee, FL, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter (Misc.)
My cats just loved this grass, unfortunately, I guess I'm not a plant keeper, as it was difficult for me to "keep it going" after it was put to use. I highly recommend it, however, for folks that want to give their indoor cats a real treat!

4.0 out of 5 stars Both Cats Love it!, July 6, 2010
Donna Y (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I have two indoor cats. I bought this after noticing they kept trying to eat my other indoor plants. It arrived quickly, and was easy to plant. You just wet the soil pods and wait for them to absorb the water and swell. You then smush the dirt around till it is even in the container, remove a little bit of soil with a spoon, spread the seed evenly in to each place and then cover them and water it. It needs plenty of sun and needs to stay moist. However: YOU NEED TO KEEP THE CATS AWAY UNTIL IT HAS GROWN!!! Let the grass grow almost to maturity (just a few days) before you introduce it to your cats. The first time my cats had it they ripped into it so much that in just one day there was nothing left! By letting the grass mature a bit, it is more sturdy and can take the munching better.

They give you four types of seeds, but I could really not tell the difference between them after they grew. Only one of them had a very slightly different colored grass stalk. The cats did seem to prefer some of the grass over the other types, but I did not mark down which was which, so I do not know what grass it was. When the grass is all gone, I take the insert and toss it out.

I try to buy the seed refills and plant twice a year as a treat for them. They are so excited everytime they get it.

SmartCat 3844 Kitty?s Garden Edible Grass Planter