4.0 out of 5 stars SmartCat Performance Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it
Published on June 27, 2011 by C. Wilson

4.0 out of 5 stars SmartCat Performance Review, April 10, 2011
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
I purchased the "SmartCat Kitty's Garden" original and an extra refill. The product performs as advertised, producing grass my cat loved and voraciously consumed. This is a good product; however the growing space is limited to 4 small pockets and the grass does not last very long due to the root system becoming "root-bound"; thereby choking any chance of long-term growth. Because of this fact, I decided to order Cat-Grass, Sweet Oats and other seeds in "bulk" and plant them myself...so as to have plenty and sustained growth over a longer period of time.

HOW TO: (1.)Select a receptacle, which has good drainage, and is about 3 to 4 inches deep. A square shape is best so that your cat can't tip it over or push it. (2.)Fill the receptacle with dirt or peat mixture. (3.) Spread and plant the new seeds about 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep ... making certain that every seed is covered with dirt. "Lightly pack the dirt" ... don't press hard... allow the shoots access to grow. (4.)Water... (not soak)... and cover the container with a clear plastic...(like a big Baggie or Dry Cleaner's plastic bag). (5.)Be sure to use a "fork" to poke about 30 to 40 small vent holes in and round the plastic. This creates a "Hot House" effect and prevents mold. (6.)Place container where it will receive good, strong sun-light during the day and not freeze at night. In about 5 to 7 days you should experience growth.

Let your Cat have at the grass when it reaches about 3 inches in length. I lightly spray with water and re-cover the grass with plastic every other day or so to stimulate growth and peak my cat's interest. When grass no longer grows... and this will vary according to your planting and care methods... simply use new soil and replant the grass by following the above instructions. The good thing about buying in "bulk" is that you can experiment with different growing methods and not lose money while doing so...Good Luck!!

Good "Bulk" buys Amazon.Com are:Catgrass (Sweet Oats for Cats) 1,000 Seeds Bulk and: Ferry-Morse 1985 Organic Catgrass Seeds, Monida Oats (16.5 Gram Packet)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cats Love this!, May 8, 2009
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
I bought this kit for my cats after buying them cat grass at the farmers market. They went crazy for it and the next time I went to market they were out of cat grass. Coming home emtied handed was not an option for my cats!! I bought the kit and it is a no brainer. The grass comes up in a few days when put in sunlight. It takes about a week to get it up to the size for the cats to enjoy and it last about a week. It is worth it to see them devour the first blades when I put it out. My cats are two full grown 20lb kittys! They would live without out it but really like having it to munch on. The combination of oat, rye, wheat and barley must make it tastier than just the oat grass that I get at the farmers market.

5.0 out of 5 stars great grass, August 1, 2008
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
This kitty grass grows fast and it's easy. Once they stand 3 inches, give to your cat, because it will start to wilt in about a week. I sometimes use half of each bag of seeds because my one cat doesn't use all the grass.

4.0 out of 5 stars Indoor Kitty's LOVE This Product!, August 31, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
This product is GREAT! My cats LOVE it, and it is so easy to grow! It also grows VERY FAST! The only thing I did not like about this product is that the instructions are buried underneath one of the seed containers. You have to empty out the seeds before you can find the instructions to know what to do! If you do not know this, you will go crazy trying to find the instructions, or think that their are none! For this reason I rated it a 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill, June 27, 2009
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
Easy to grow edible grass for cats. My cat loves eating house plants. She prefers this over houseplants that we wanted her to stay out of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast growing, but not long lasting, April 23, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
We've purchased a couple of these and the first one we had a HUGE mold problem with. The second one was better, but only lasted about 2 weeks. No mold problem, but the grass has died even with proper watering. The other problem with it was that when the cats would eat it, they would pull the whole section of grass out of the container and make quite a mess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the cats happy..., July 19, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
I really like this cat grass. It's attractive and the cats like it a lot. The only thing I would change would be less packaging. Each package contains a new planter bowl and divider. You could easily re use the previous bowl and divider and the refill could come with just the seeds and peat. To help protect the environment I think I will opt to get my own seeds and peat next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality!, July 3, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
Definitely the way to go when you buy the base unit. Grasses last a long time if you give good light and sufficient water. I wouldn't buy this without the base to save money though, because the wooden base keeps the grass tray from moving and tipping over when kitties munch on it. Good quality, great value!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, June 27, 2011
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
I had mixed results when I planted the seeds (they did sprout but not as fully as I would have liked). I ended up picking up some seeds from a local garden center that ended up working a lot better and being a lot cheaper. In the end I found that my local farmers market has some organic wheat grass I can pick up for $0.99 and get some of that every week. I'd recommend trying to grow a planter of whatever your pet likes best by yourself and just giving them that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grows great, April 26, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill (Kitchen)
This grass grew very quickly and stayed healthy for quite a while. My cats loved it!

SmartCat Kitty's Garden Refill