4.0 out of 5 stars Cat loves it, and so does all her fur
This is now (one of) my cat's favorite place to sit. She is ALWAYS on the perch. I think she likes it because she can be near us (our scratching post is next to the couch) while still being elevated.

Published on January 23, 2009 by Tracy Keeling

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits the SmartCat scratching post but kind of small
Published on September 23, 2009 by PT Cruiser

3.0 out of 5 stars Fits the SmartCat scratching post but kind of small, September 23, 2009
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I ordered this post perch to fit on top of the SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post and it does fit very nicely. It's easy to attach and the base of it is sturdy. The thing I didn't like about it is that it's kind of small, about 12 x 14 inches. That's not very big for a large cat. The other thing that I thought could have been improved was the thickness of the cushion. It was only about 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick. I thought for the price that they could have made something a little thicker and more cushy. It has little straps that attach it to the bottom wood platform, but the platform is a finished wood and slippery, so the mat slides a little when a cat jumps up on it. We solved that by cutting a piece of that rubber shelf liner stuff like this 48 each: Jmk Rubber Shelf Liner (03055) that you can cut to size and put it between the top of the perch and the cushion. It keeps it from moving around. (Also a great way to keep chair cushions in place on wooden chairs.)

The cats don't seem to use this perch thing very much but they do love the scratching post. If I buy another scratching post I'll skip this accessory.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory that will not last!, August 21, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
The SmartCat Ultimate Scratching Post is expensive, but it's a great product. It's sturdy, tall enough for the cat to get a good stretch, and will help to save your furniture from your cat's desire to hone his claws. My cats love it, and the decision to enhance the product with the SmartCat Perch made it even more attractive for the cats. They love to sit on the perch and watch the action in the kitchen at mealtime. The pad attaches to the very slick surface of the perch. It fastens by folding four velcro straps sewn to the four corners to the underside of the perch where four circular velcro attachments are glued. Unfortunately the underside of the perch is also slick and the glued attachments do not adhere well. When the cats climb the post they use the pad to pull themselves onto the perch. The velcro attachments on the underside of the perch will not hold up to this type of horizontal force and will become unglued. All four detached within the first week. I glued them back with super glue but had to scrape the original glue from the back of each attachment to get the super glue to hold. It's working for now, but I'm disappointed that a product this expensive (it should be included with the post IMO) has such a terrible design defect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cat loves it, and so does all her fur, January 23, 2009
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)

The only complaint I have is that her lightly-colored undercoat sticks like mad to the pad and doesn't come off easily with a brush. I have yet to see if throwing it in the wash helps much (but... based on my experience with clothes, I doubt it will).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great perch but replace the velcro dots, August 9, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I run a non-profit cat rescue/hospice and almost all of our cats love the post and the perch. However, the small black velcro dots they supply to fasten the perch to the post are worthless. Cut strips of real velcro with good adhesive backing on it and the perch will not slide or fall off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Design needs to be reworked, May 10, 2011
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
Ours is a one cat house. We first bought the ultimate cat scratching post because our cat, Simba used to go at my husbands floor standing speakers to get a good stretch and scratch. We got the scratching post, put it near the speaker, and Simba willingly used the scratching post instead.

Very often we saw Simba jump on top of the scratching post and try to sit there. He did manage, but looked terribly uncomfortable. Imagine a 12 lb cat balanced on a 6 inch square. So, we got him the perch. At first he just wouldn't jump on. If we kept him on top of it, he would sit there for a few minutes and jump off.

Now the thing about this perch is that it is bean shaped. I mean a 2D bean, like a bean would look if cut in cross section. So we figured that Simba could probably jump if we kept it in such a way that the concave end was facing him, and the convex end facing the wall. It worked! Simba jumped on, but unfortunately the perch slid of and in a moment worth of America's funniest home videos, Simba slid off with the perch landing in a noisy mess on the floor.

He wasn't hurt. Just irritated.

We were terrified he would go after the speakers again, but he loves the scratching post and so keeps going back to it. We replaced the perch on top, more because we really don't know what to do with it. We threw the box away, so we cannot return it.

In short... the perch seems like a good idea, but a cautious cat might not take to it very easily. Other reviewers are right about the Velcro, which is starting to come off in our case too... and not by wear and tear... just by standing around!
The wood is good quality for the price and product it is intended for... but perhaps, they need to reconsider the design once again.

I understand that for the stability of the structure they have probably designed this perch to be optimal... because I don't think the scratching post could topple as it is... but it still is not functional and a waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Idea for the perch, August 16, 2012
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I have a suggestion for the manufacturer of this product. Cover the top of the post in the same material that the entire post is made of (sisal), so that cats can naturally climb and pull themselves to the top. My cats just keep trying and sliding and falling off. This change in design would solve the problem of the "perch" design, and would boost your product reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Small, Velcro falls off, September 5, 2010
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
We have a very small cat, and this is still too small. The tape that holds the velcro onto the unit is worthless, so when the cat tries to get on it the entire pad falls off (along with the cat). Also, the pad is thin and lacks cushion.

This would be a great product if it were larger and if it had a nicer pad that was secure.

5.0 out of 5 stars New one has stoppers to keep it from sliding off (unlike previous model). cats love it., September 3, 2013
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
Cats love high places. you already have the scratcher (which is the best thing since sliced tuna, according to our cats), so why not get this as well, as the space is wasted anyways?

oh, and to clean off fur, just wet your hands and run them over the pad. We do wash it on occasion, but very rarely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only good for a very small cat, March 8, 2012
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
I saw this on "My Cat from Hell" and really liked the look of it. The scratching post is very sturdy. My cats love it. The topper is another story. It slides loosely onto the top of the post. There is no snap on attachment to seal it onto the top of the post. So if you cat is strong and gets startled while on it- off it comes with all the energy the cat put into the spring. The pad also fits loosely. It has velcro attachers and s reversable which is nice but slides around on top of the wood. I am going to have my husband loos at it and see if it can be permanetly attached to the pole with screws. But that may not be an option as the brackets are plastic. Most likely this will be returned. So sad. But I only recommend this for kittens who don't mind a loose fitting cushion and don't have alot of power in their leaps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice accessory and it gets used, September 18, 2009
This review is from: SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post (Kitchen)
It took a few weeks but my 6-year-old cat really took to this thing. I have the post next to my desk to discourage her from messing with my office chair and now she can sit on top and keep me company while I work, or perhaps give me a good view of her back if some desired service has not been adequately rendered ;) I wish the perch were a little bigger b/c even though my cat isn't particularly large she still has to curl up tightly to fit on it, but she doesn't seem to mind, and well it's designed to be a perch not a cat bed. Perhaps they limited the size to keep it stable, which it definitely is. Overall this is a great quality product and a nice complement to the post itself.

SmartCat Perch for the Ultimate Scratching Post