Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

VINE VOICEon February 3, 2012
When my computer suddenly died (the technician said he would have to replace every single part except the cabinet) I was faced with the loss of all that drivel I've been saving on 3.5 inch floppy disks. Not Shakespeare of course, but the stuff seemed important to me. When I found the SmartDisk External Floppy Disk Drive on amazon.com I ordered it right away. It arrived in a couple of days, in a surprisingly small package, and I couldn't wait to get started. It is a very small gadget, with a USB connection, and that's it. No software needed, just plug it in. My fancy new computer quickly recognized it, and lo and behold, there were the missing files.

This is a great little device. It's compatible with Windows XP, Vista and 7. I'm completely satisfied with it. If you have some old floppy disks with missing works of genius, pictures, or whatever, I recommend this piece of equipment withoout reservation. Reviewed by Louis N. Gruber.
on February 20, 2011
Floppy diks may be dinosaur tech now, but if you want to transfer or view data you have in old ones to the new pcs or laptops this little unit is all you'll need. Very small and coveninent, plugs in to any USB port in your computer regardless of model, no software needed. You'll be able to send data to a blank floppy or retrieve what you have in one to your computer.
Works perfectly, highly recommended, 5 stars all the way!
on November 18, 2011
I plugged the drive into my Windows XP notebook computer, and all my old 3 1/2" floppy discs were read without any problems.

I have a caution if, like most of us, you have not used a floppy drive in a while. All floppy drives (including this one), can be slow to read and load large files.

One other point: I tried to open some old Microsoft Office files, and got error messages. These errors were not the fault of the drive. It seems that Microsoft has, with an XP service pack, blocked some older Microsoft Office files from opening. Microsoft has posted a solution to this problem at its website.
on March 18, 2012
I was having problems locating an external floppy drive that would work with Windows 7 to download embriodery patterns for my wife's sewing machine. I bought one online, but the software would not upload so I had to return it. And trying to purchase one through a local retailer was impossible.

We located this one and it was like a plug & play device! It uploaded immediately and I have been busy ever since transferring files onto floppies for her. It is a great addition to our family!
on July 7, 2011
I needed to get pictures off of old floppies. Thank goodness I found this one for a reasonable price and it did the trick.
on February 25, 2012
Big Worry...would it work with W7 ?? Yes !! (Bought one at Mdia Center last year...obsolete. No drive update. No apology from store for selling useless ger.) Plugged this one in...put in disk...my document appeared. No delay, no fuss, no bother. Can't get better than that.
To me, Floppies are not old tech. As useful today as ever....glad a company saw the need and produced a useful product.
tomn
on June 2, 2011
The product was exactly the way they describe it, by their web page. I'ld recommend SmartDisk External USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive in a minute.
on October 9, 2012
The floppy drive that I received did not look like the one pictured in the ad. Also, it certainly didn't perform as the 4 star average for this product would indicate. The problems I experienced were:

* Would not read a pre-formatted floppy disk.
* Would not format a floppy disk until it had been plugged/unplugged three times.
* Once it formatted a floppy and would read it, when the floppy was swapped for a different one, it would not refresh to show the contents of the new disk.
* The drive itself did not say Mitsumi anywhere on it. It was prominently labeled "Made in China". I thought Mitsumi was a Japanese company.

I attempted to return this drive to the seller and I purchased a HP brand to replace it.

This drive works perfectly, though it cost twice as much. That was probably money well spent.
on November 23, 2012
After reading all the reviews I selected this floppy disk machine thinking it was great. It arrived on time, but when I took it out of the box it only had one piece of paper in it. There was no manual or any instructions as to what to do if things didn't work. No service center information or 1-800 number to call for help. I plugged it into my new computer and waited for it to load. It took several attempts to finally have it download. Then after I selected the floppy disk it asks you if you want it formatted? Then tells you IF you format it you will lose all your information on the floppy. Then a pop up comes up with this: A:/ is not accessible the request could not be preformed because of an I/O device error.

I tried several times to insert another floppy disk and go through the steps again and then the floppy disk machine shut down. The green light wouldn't even come on anymore and when you plug it back in to your computer the green light stays on for a second and then goes off and never comes back on.
I am very disappointing with my purchase. I never got to look at any of my floppy disks information, because the machine does load correctly and shuts off.
on December 30, 2012
Getting hard to find drive-bay floppy readers anymore, so I grabbed this. Great for recovering old stuff I'd forgotten on disc! Device was recognized just fine by the WinXP and Win7 stations I have.

As some reviewers have stated, some of my discs had trouble being recognized, but they were also the rattiest of the lot so I am attributing the failure to the media's age. Be sure to wipe down any dusty/dirty floppies before shoving them into this - in particular you should check to see if the protective shutter over the disk window slides easily. This device doesn't have as much mechanical strength to move the shutter as the old dinosaur in-builts so a sticky disc = whirrr of doom. And don't expect blazing read/write speeds, this is analog media after all. :P

See 1 answered question