5.0 out of 5 stars The security system you must have.
Published on September 26, 2012 by Darrell Dennis

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor all around, especially customer service
BEWARE YOGI COMPUTERS INC!
After receiving a defective unit as described below, I submitted a review after I asked them to send a shipping label for a return. Despite not having written policies stating returns are the customers responsibility they sent the following harrassing email.
"Ms Cook.

Let me give you some words of advice as it is very clear...
Published 18 months ago by M. Cook

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor all around, especially customer service, May 21, 2013
M. Cook (Ypsilanti, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartGuard 300W, 4-in-1 Security system: Motion activated light+video camera+SD card memory+audio warning (Camera)
BEWARE YOGI COMPUTERS INC!
"Ms Cook.

Let me give you some words of advice as it is very clear you need it. First of all your feedback is inappropriate and unacceptable. Any purchase will bear a risk that the product could be defective. In the unfortunate event that a defective item is received then you are responsible for returning it. If you do not want to take that risk then you as a buyer should be responsible and look for a company that offer free returns for any reason or purchase from a local store. To leave us a one rating because of your inability to read and understand the policies is not acceptable and it is being reported to Amazon. "

Clearly they didn't read their own policies, or lack of, and prefer to insult their dissastified customers rather than help them.

The unit I got did not function properly. The motion detector seems to be faulty. When contacting Yogi Computers Inc., they suggested to change the sensativity settings, assuming that I did not know how to follow the directions, or ever set up a motion light before. The alarm speaker did not work. There is a setting to mute the alarm, which is nice. They did agree to take it back but only if I paid return shipping.
The unit seems to be one of the only on the market like it, whic is too bad. It is a great concept. This unit is a poor execution of that concept.
It requires batteries to control the computer settings, but the battery compartment can only be accessed if you unmount the entire unit.
The camera is just an inexpensive one like you would find on a phone, nothing special.
There are no time/date stamps on the images.
This unit does not have water proof seals or gaskets and will not survive outside unless covered from rain.
It does not easily mount to a standard round junction box. I took an existing motion light down to put this one up. This one requires you to use the rediculous supplied mounting bracket because, unlike every other motion light sold at big box stores, the holes to bolt it to the junction box are not in the right places.
None of the supplied screws with my kit fit the standard junction box I had the privious light attached to.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably bad design, August 17, 2012
First you put four (4) AA batteries in it so you can program it with date/time and alarm functions. The buttons you have to push to program it are terribly unresponsive. When you finally program the thing, you are ready to install it. I had to wait until the next day to have it installed by a friend who is an electrician. So, I set it aside safely and waited for the next day. The next day, my friend is ready to install it after some extensive prepping of the location. I get ready to hand him over the unit and I notice the one line LCD section of the unit is totally blank. To make the long story short, it ATE the batteries dead over night. We have no time to fool around...I put 4 new batteries in it pronto and hand it to my friend for the final step of installation...
By the way, guess where the batteries go...The batteries go in to the round conduit section which is screwed into the wall. To replace the batteries you would have to uninstall the unit from the wall to access the battery compartment. Back to the story: So it's installed finally and everything looks good. The light comes on nice and bright and the alarm sounds when it detects motion. Finally I am a happy man. We test it a few times by walking in front of it and it's working like a charm.

The next morning, I go in front of it and no alarm!!! It ate the batteries overnight!!! No alarm!! To replace the batteries, I would have to uninstall the unit from the wall with the electrical wires dangling in my face. And if I replace the batteries (4 duracell double A's) and install the unit back on the wall, what will I do the next morning, repeat the process? This monster ate 4 duracell AA batteries overnight, not once but twice. I am not putting 4 more into it so it can devour the batteries again within a 24 hour period. I leave it as it is. The electrical part (the light) works, but I have no alarm and no other programming functions because the batteries are dead. I put a 32 GB SD card into it for motion activated recording, and what that's doing, God only knows.

The installation of this thing requires electrical know-how and good deal of effort and preparation. You would think that once installed, it should be mostly free of maintenance. You gotta remove this thing from the wall completely to replace the expensive batteries every day!!! Are you kidding me? I could have bought a motion light from Walmart for $35.00 and be done with it. I paid $150.00 bucks for this monster and by the time I could set up installation day, it was too late to return it.

Conclusion: THIS UNIT IS A MISERABLE FAILURE. I GIVE IT A ZERO STAR. WHERE WAS THIS MADE? I LET YOU FIGURE THAT ONE OUT FOR YOURSELF.

5.0 out of 5 stars The security system you must have., September 26, 2012
Darrell Dennis (PATRICK SPRINGS, VA, US) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent Security system for the home. Everyone should have one. The very best I'v seen. I have one at my front and back door. Works perfect. It's the one with an audio warning that you can put your warning in your own voice. I have on mine. " Warning, you are being video taped by a security camera". This will make any thief thank twice before breaking in. The video camera lets you see what goes on all day and night. The price is right too, so much cheaper then a break in. Got mine from AMAZON.

1.0 out of 5 stars doesn't work as expected, January 6, 2013
video camera does not work outside at temp of zero celcius

following motion there is a large delay before the light comes on

4.0 out of 5 stars speaker, March 5, 2013
I would give this five stars was if not for the speaker with a dog barking, I have put tape over it to buffer there is no way to turn it off I can find. The picture is as sharp as my six hundred camcorder it works great It picks movement a good fifty feet and the 300w lamp is turning night to day I am sure anyone walking up will be like a deer in the head lights. I had to point mine down to the ground to keep peace in the neighborhood my next door neighbor said he is ordering him one. The only other thing is having to take the card out when you want to view it, can be a pain but will get ease in time I am sure. I have read on here the batterys don't last long so I didn't use the ones they sent, I use duracell so far so good you have to leave the switch on in the house or the camara will work off the batterys only, I am sure this will run them down fast it takes four aa you may want to have them on stand by. When I have to change them I am going to drill the mounting holes out just a little to make the screws that hold it to the wall fit ease, it does have to go on the wall not over hang I will keep an update going for a while.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate programming instruction., June 16, 2013
MARVIN A LEVINE (Scarsdale, NY, US) - See all my reviews
No tech support options, such as phone number or web address. Utilization of memory feature requires removal of device from its mounting. Ambiguity regarding back-up batteries. If battery change is needed, removal from mounting is required.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT UNIT !!, January 12, 2013
MOST OF THE INSTRUCTIONS WERE STRAIGHT FOWARD. THE WIRES WERE NOT USA COLORS. YELLOW/GREEN STRIPE IS GROUND [GREEN IN USA] . BLUE & BROWN MATCH UP TO OUR WHITE & BLACK WIRES ALSO IF YOU HAVE ADDED A LIGHT TO A FAN THEN YOU WILL REMEMBER THE COLOR MATCH. YOU MUST USE THE MOUNTING BRACKET & LOCK DOWN THE TWO BOLTS OR THE TWO SCREWS WILL NOT LINE UP TO BOLT DOWN THE FINISH THROUGH SCREWS. SO YOU DON'T USE ALL OF THE BACK UP BATTERY POWER AFTER THE UNIT IS FINISHED TURN ON THE POWER & TAPE THE SWITCH SO LITTLE HANDS DON'T TURN IT OFF. CHOOSE YOUR SETTINGS AFTER YOU MOUNT THE UNIT YOU MAY WANT TO USE THE GUIDE IN THE BOOK. I FOUND THE DOG SETTING NOT LOUD ENOUGHT.

4.0 out of 5 stars Video looks good., November 8, 2012
Works well so far. Just a little hard to change the backup batteries. Good coverage with the motion sensor. Video looksgood.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of junk, August 5, 2013
This is a piece of Chinese junk and best avoided. The manual does not give any company contact information and if you lose the special wrench you are screwed and cannot remove or access the SD card. You have to load the four batteries to program the thing and then remove the batteries after it is wired up, which means you may get a helluva shock if you aren't extremely careful. The mounting system is difficult to work with and the small (irreplaceable) nuts are easily dropped and lost. (Remember there is NO company contact information for replacement parts.) I finally threw the unit in the garbage can and will try to find something American to replace it. I'm a retired scientist who spent a lifetime working on complex instrumentation and so this is not operator stupidity, just a poorly designed product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So GREAT!!! I love this light...., April 6, 2014
It lights the path to my car when i go to work in the morning, and greets me when I get home at night.
My car was getting broken into once in a while and that stopped when I installed this. It is very visible from the street, I'm a little surprised my HOA hasn't complained about it yet.
I have it set on dog bark, on the quietest setting, it isn't loud enough for the neighbors to hear, but loud enough to get you to move on away out of my driveway, if you aren't suppose to be here.
I have used the loudest setting, and that you can hear barking from down the block!
I have not checked the SD card yet for video clips, I'll have to give that a look see.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›