5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't use it...
Published 12 months ago by D. H.

1.0 out of 5 stars hate it
Published 15 months ago by michael sanders

1.0 out of 5 stars hate it, August 16, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
i bought this twice. Tried to register my computer online but had no luck. They had my purchase id number and computer information but could not get it register. Called their office and they were suppose to mail me the paperwork so i could register my mail. Never received it. If they are so unprofessional at this level I would hate to see what happened when i needed to activate my warranty. I would not trust them to honor their agreement much less be able to find it in the first place. Do not waste your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't use it..., November 20, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
We ordered this up to protect another item we ordered and when we realized the other item was not necessary we canceled the protection plan. They really impressed me! They agreed the protection wasn't necessary and though we had agreed to the contract they refunded our money and canceled the plan for us at no cost to us. Now that's a refutable business in my mind. Great folks to deal with and HONEST!

Besides, the deal was a great deal... I can't remember the details now but I normally won't order "protection" on things. I'll just go with the factory warranty. In this case the package was good. I remember that. I just can't give you the details. But if it impressed me then it had to be a good deal. I'm tight with the moolah these days.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Company That Cares, September 1, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
After waiting 11 days for my warrantee to come in the mail, I wrote a very poor review of Warrantech, not realizing I could have gone online to register my product and received it instantly. This was an "unjust" move on my part, and it does not reflect the "true" character of this company or its product. I have an awesome new computer for which I hope I will not have to use this plan anytime in the future. But, if I do, I believe I can trust Warrantech Smart Guard, as they have reached out to me to rectify this huge misunderstanding.

2.0 out of 5 stars Smart Guard has no business imagination, September 9, 2013
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
i accidently bought a product that didnt fully cover my computer, it covers computers ($500-$600) i bought mine for $649.99, i told Smart guard that im fine with up to $600 of protection, i also told them that the price of the computer i bought went up $200 on amazon so it wouldnt be fully covered anyways if i need a new one, they were way too rigid. also registering on their website was very irritating, alot of wasted time on this product

1.0 out of 5 stars BEFORE YOU BUY READ WHAT WE WENT THROUGH "TRYING" TO FILE A CLAIM. SAVE YOURSELF THE HEADACHE DON'T BUY!, July 31, 2014
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! You are better off looking for a REPUTABLE customer friendly company to get insurance with. The feel good, I am covered feeling evaporates once you actually have to file a claim. Various blogs have extremely negative comments about their customer service and settlement of claims (worth your time to look at complaints for SmartGuard and Warrantech). Better Business Bureau cites them for late mailings or emailings of actual contracts so customers are not aware of exclusions, which cover almost everything. We purchased a new computer, had it a month with a purchased 4 year plan when a power surge ruined the motherboard. Gateway stated they do not cover power surge damage at all. Had noted that our SmartGuard Plan indicated they did. We did NOT get the warranty info until after the fact. In trying to file a claim the initial female agent was extremely rude, told me it was a manufacturer warranty issue and not their problem if I had not ever seen the warranty, indicating it probably went to SPAM folder. Said it was an Amazon purchase anyway and she didn't deal with that, so asked for the Amazon Rep to which she informed me I was wasting my time but she did transfer me. In all my numerous years I have never been treated so rudely, just so you are prepared in case you do have this plan and ever have to use it. (Blogs from former employees will stun you on what they are instructed to say). On being transferred a man said that he would have the warranty to us within 24 hours with a PIN so we could file a claim. Did not happen. Called back to SmartGuard on their toll free number and was told there was probably an issue with the PIN number and she would set it to expedite and should have info that day, but would be a couple days before the enrollment process was complete for us to attempt (note that word...attempt) to file a claim but everything the first year was a manufacturer warranty issue and they covered nothing. (Contrary to what they have posted as being covered but even if so the plan would be a 3 year extended warranty and not a 4 year warranty). Realizing this was going to be a very frustrating battle, to get an expert opinion took the computer to a local master technician who confirmed motherboard was dead and system had experienced a surge of some type (making it a SmartGuard Issue). Heard nothing from SmartGuard yet again so sent a chronological email to them as well as an INFO copy to Amazon. Received a very nice email from Amazon saying they were recommending a conference call with myself, them and the SmartGuard customer service reps if I was having such a hard time. Received from SmartGuard/Warrantech and email at same time with warranty and PIN. Online went to register the product and on the FILE A CLAIM box, I clicked it which said I have to call their toll free number again. Told right away it was a manufacturer issue and SmartGuard does not cover surges at all. Read him straight from the Amazon page that it clearly stated they do. Was put on hold for a while and when he came back on it was obvious he was annoyed. Told me I would have to wait a couple of days for registration to be completed before we could file and that I would have to prove the computer was plugged into a UL Listed Surge Protector and have the original receipt for when purchased. Told him the DSL was connected to a Belkin Advanced Surge Protector (UL listed) and the computer to a Philips 2160 joules Surge Protector that I could sent him pictures of right now, but as far as having the original receipts I doubted that seriously as was told that might be required to validate my system was hooked up in compliance with their warranty. (With a business computer, 2 personal computers and 3 T.V.s in the house ALL are hooked up to surge protectors and all are UL listed.) Updated my original email with latest problems with SmartGuard/Warrantech to Amazon and asking them why SmartGuard was not required to display their policy exclusions (again it has legalese loopholes for virtually everything) before a customer might even consider purchasing from this company. For example (this is from their warranty) EXCLUSIONS "Causes beyond your control;.....external perils of nature (including but not limited to: fire, flood, smoke, sand, dirt (they say includes dust accumulation ...but before you think of using a can of air to clean read further down), lightning, humidity, storms, wind, hail and earthquake." And as if that does not cover about everything most users want to upgrade their systems either initially or in time by usually adding extra memory, possibly a second optical disk drive or maybe a secondary hard drive for those back ups that are so important in the event of a system failure; then comes (again straight from their warranty you won't see until AFTER you buy) "Modifications, adjustments, alterations, manipulation or repairs by anyone other than a service technician authorized by us" In other words if you open the case for anything even cleaning the fans/CPU, boards, etc you have negated your own contract if you have not first contacted them for approval and they select (even if authorized) who you may have it serviced by. Within just a few hours of sending the latest update of the massive and ever continuing problems with SmartGuard/Warrantech to Amazon, Amazon authorized a complete refund of our purchase. Get that? Amazon not SmartGuard. So we will return the unit to Amazon and thank goodness Amazon is customer friendly and has always been reliable. So do a bit of checking for available warranty services other than SmartGuard, there are a couple highly rated with excellent reviews. We thought being advertised and promoted on Amazon gave this company credibility .... it does not nor would I recommend to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh No they didn't, November 19, 2014
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
Buyer beware!!!! If I could give them a zero I would... I purchased this 'insurance' with my computer. When my computer went out I contacted Warrantech and they refunded me my insurance policy in the amount of $30...

1.0 out of 5 stars the worst. ive tried contacting them for 2 yrs now ..., August 31, 2014
Johannes Laguatan (Reseda, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
the worst. ive tried contacting them for 2 week now and still noone had responded. i left my number on the message with not even one phone call from this company.

1.0 out of 5 stars No, Nada, Never, May 15, 2014
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
Smart Guard is owned by Warrentech, a corporation doing business under 35 different names. Despite its "A" rating from the Better Business Bureau, the BBB notes a pattern of consumer complaints concerning delays, difficulties with communication, and other issues connected to repairs which the company agreed to provide. An Internet search of the names "Smart Guard" and "Warrentech" has convinced me that a contract with this company is not a gamble I am prepared to make.

Incidentally, as I did not purchase the product, my one-star rating is in the same category as the reviewers who awarded Smart Guard with 4 or 5 stars -- NONE of whom have had repairs performed under the Plan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, March 1, 2014
This review is from: 4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600) (Personal Computers)
You do have your 4 year warranty plan but when it ships to you, it will never say the item was delivered or tell you that you were supposed to get an email and download the document which is your warranty... I had to call in to find this out as I waited on my warrant for about and extra week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7, 2014
just making sure I'm protected

4-Year Desktop Plan ($500-600)
$23.30