5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting combination of sensors
(I got mine via the Kickstarter campaign)

Pairs quickly and painlessly with a SmartThings hub. Does exactly what it says on the label; 5 stars.

Note that this is a ZigBee (possibly ZigBee HA) device and will not work with Z-wave hubs.

Published 7 months ago by Alexander

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not use as a temperature sensor
The open/close and tilt sensing aspects of this hardware are spot-on. The temperature sensor is a complete mess, registering 6 degrees low at all times. No calibration option is currently offered to correct this issue.
Published 26 days ago by T. Gaydos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting combination of sensors, February 4, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
(I got mine via the Kickstarter campaign)

Right now I have it set up to monitor my front door - vibration (knocking) and contact (front door opened) - temperature is nice, but I haven't come up with a good way to use it. Vibration isn't quite sensitive enough for knocking; it does detect, for example, my washing machine when it's placed on it.

It uses AAAA batteries (not AAA!) - as a result, it's a bit smaller than similar devices. This made it a bit of a challenge to mount - the magnets are QUITE strong - but the passive (thin) side was thin enough to be mounted on both the bottom and one side. The contact closed range is around 5mm if you (like me) need a little air-gap.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, if installed correctly, March 4, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have had this system in operation for about 3 weeks. It includes 2 of these Multi-sensors; one on an interior door, the other on a door leading into a carport. Both switches are within 50 feet of the hub.

PROS
* Pairing with the hub was simple, took about 15 seconds
* Responds quickly: Android app changes state within 2-3 seconds
* Battery life seems like it will be acceptable (I estimate 9-12 months)
* Max distance from magnet to sensor is slightly under 1/2 inch

CONS
* Mounting these components to a door was not straightforward due to the shape of my door frame molding (older style with many curves and surfaces). On the interior door, I was able to mount the switch on the flat surface on the outside of the door. But for the exterior door, this was not feasible.
* the double-back mounting tape included is VERY thin, and did not hold very well. Had to purchase 3M tape to get it to work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, functionality and support, August 2, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have had my smartthings system for a week and a half. I now have 5 multi's. The build quality is top-notch - it's a sort of a glossy egg-shell finish. It looks elegant and unobtrusive on the door. I found the tape sticky enough, I will see how long it holds. I did not have a problem fitting it to the door - but with a thick door jam, I found I could actually turn the smaller magnet on it's side, and then stick it on the door. I tested it by holding it in that position and "opening it", and it worked, therefore I would say you can easily fit this on any door. The contact sensor allows a decent space still when closed, which also helps to fit it on the door.

The sensor works amazing well. Range has not been an issue - I literally get the notification immediately, as soon as the door opens. I love it! I love that in the app, you can see at a glance what doors are opened and closed, in real time, or temperatures. And the temperature sensor is very cool - I was looking for a separate sensor because I did not think this one could be all it claimed. It works marvellously - I would say it is either dead-on or within 1-2 degrees Celcius accurate. This is perfect, as I monitor my "computer" room, or my bedroom where my dog sleeps during the day. Despite the air conditioning, it can still get hot and humid upstairs, but now I can remotely check the temperature, and then remotely turn my electric fan on.
I'm very happy with this sensor, and look forward to continuing my home automation adventure..

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for garage doors, August 1, 2014
Jason Gill (Magna, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
These are great for the garage as well. Originally I was all worried about getting the 2 parts to line up correctly without interfering with the movement of the garage, but to my pleasant surprise I learned that you don't need the smaller magnetic part at all. The bigger piece has a motion sensor in it and knows if the garage is open simply by knowing whether or not it is upright or tilted! You can use the provided sticky tape (very high quality) and simply attach it to the back of one of the panels of your garage door. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi Sensor, March 3, 2014
Chris H. (ANKENY, IA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have two of these sensors so far. One on my garage door and the other on a sliding door. The Smartthings Hub recognized the sensors immediately. These can sense open/close, temperature, and movement. I will be installing more when I get more into home automation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, January 28, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
It was kind of surprised but the information that this tiny device provides. Not only does it do open/closed but it has a temperature, vibration and orientation sensor. I was worried about hanging it on my door because there's a curved frame around it but you can hang it in multiple arrangements and also slightly not touching and it it still senses the other half.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Z-WAVE sensor with temperature reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, August 29, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
Good sensor works naturally with Smartthings. Great thing on this is that it gives you a temperature reading at that door. I can look at any door in my house now and see the temperature. Interesting to see doors facing the sun and temperature for that room is quite a bit different from other doors in that room and house. Gives a great visibility to your smarthouse with respect to temperature and open/close reports.

Also cool on this product is the ease of deployment. Takes all of 1 minute to deploy and pair with your Z-wave hub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but range is an issue., March 4, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
Got two of these. They're pretty design-wise, paired fast with my smartthings network, accurate, but..

I had the same problems as another reviewer mounting them on my doors because of the moulding. Included scotch-tape was insufficient. Ended up replacing this with bigger piece of double-sided tape. Note: this would have been an issue with most competitors. You can probably open the big battery compartment, drill a hole, and mount it with a screw.

However... there is a BIG problem with these: limited range.

These sensors are *not* Z-Wave (900MHz) but Zigbee (2400MHz) devices. Zigbee devices all suffer from limited range, due to the higher frequency, and/or because more devices operate on this frequency (e.g. your phones or wifi) which cause interference.

The leaflet in the box states specifically: "SmartSense Multi works best if it's within 15 feet (4.5m) of the SmartThings Hub when you connect it. I realized this too late and had to remove one sensor mounted on my front door, which turned out to be out of range. Replacing it with a Z-Wave-based sensor as recommended by SmartThings support.

Like the other reviewer I only use these to detect open doors. The temperature is an added benefit but as long as all the sensors are inside the house for obvious reasons, the temperature will vary very little.

UPDATE: As per Ryan's (ST support) comment below, the 15ft is only required AT THE TIME OF INITIAL PAIRING. I have since verified that the max. distance is much more than 15ft, but... I never made it all the way to my front door, hence the 4 stars. The solution to my problem seems to be to install additional Zigbee A/C-powered devices that also function as repeaters, which allow you to benefit from the mesh network nature of Zigbee (and Z-Wave) and extend the range/coverage. I haven't done so yet, but will update this review when I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars But customer service was great. They immediately sent me a new one which ..., July 12, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
The first unit I received was defective which happens sometimes. But customer service was great. They immediately sent me a new one which has been working perfectly for about a month. I have it on my front door and it does what it says it will do. Note that you may have to buy 3M double sided tape to get it mounted since the included tape isn't that strong. Also AAAA batteries are sold at Best Buy. You just have to look for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient and Reliable, June 10, 2014
This review is from: SmartSense Multi Sensor (Tools & Home Improvement)
I have three of these on my doors and windows. They are sensitive enough to notice knocks and jolts to the door, but not so much that it constantly annoys you with false alarms. I have never had a problem with them so far; they are extremely reliable and offer peace of mind knowing when your door opens and the temperature of that area.

I've used them for about six months now and, though I use them a lot (lot of door openings), I have yet to change the batteries. They need AAAA batteries, which is unique, but I ordered some in advance just in case. They have never needed to be repaired or connected by me so far.

I plan to get more. It's a very reliable but inexpensive method of protecting your home, or just being nosey on what is going on while you're gone. :)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›