5.0 out of 5 stars World's Greatest Sock

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money
Published on January 24, 2013 by Eggroll

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars World's Greatest Sock, June 22, 2011
I know what you are thinking, how great can socks really be. Well you really won't know until you try a pair. These socks make such a big difference on a long day that I won't leave home without them. Don't let the word WOOL fool you. This socks cause zero itch. They have the perfect amount of stretch and will stay up all day. They can be worn for more than one day and still give a solid performance. After being washed they are like brand new each time. They don't get stiff or crusty. They stay plush and comfortable. I don't know how they do it but they can keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Yes! Cool in the summer. I use these socks for wearing to my desk job all year long. I have other smartwool socks for running year round as well and they perform great winter and summer. I know it's hard to believe but you just have to try a pair. Be warned, you will not want to go back to any other sock! It's an addiction and my name is Adam and I am addicted!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, January 24, 2013
These socks are not scratchy, are thick at the toes, sole, heel and leg, and are fairly warm. They do not bunch or slide down. However, they are a tight fit. I washed in cold and laid flat to dry; did not appear to shrink, but still tight with my narrow feet. If I ever bought these again, it would be for less than half the price they sell for now. Just not worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't say enough good things, January 21, 2011
These socks are excellent. All of the Smartwool PHD socks are great! They keep the feet warm and moisture free when walking for exercise. Inside the house they keep your feet so cozy and warm so the whole body really is comfortable in the winter. the elasticity is excelent.It is like getting a "foot hug". I had to buy a second pair or stand by the dryer and wait for them to finish! I also bought a pair for my mom who is 91 and she loves them!

5.0 out of 5 stars First time buyer - Now Life Long FAN!!!, August 27, 2013
I ordered a few pair of these socks for a 2 week European vacation in August 2013. I had never worn wool socks and although i read most of the customer comments - was not sure how they would feel or perform considering the large amount of walking or the humidity & temperature changes I was expecting on my vacation... But I couldn't have been more pleased!!! These socks were absolutely fantastic! They were literally perfect in every aspect for me. They provided plenty of cushion in all the critical areas (across & under toes, bottom & back of heels, around arch); they didn't stretch out after multiple days of wear; they didn't slip, slide or bunch. Most importantly, my feet stayed dry - never hot & sweaty or cold and clammy. I took a brand new pair of hiking shoes I had never worn & never broke in - with these socks my feet were never tired or sore & I didn't get one blister - even after walking miles in heat & rain hour after hour!! I cannot praise these socks enough. This is the first time I've ever been on a touring vacation with this much walking/hiking & experienced absolutely NO feet fatigue or blisters - AMAZING & worth every penny!!! I'll be a customer for life & will be buying some for everyone in my family!!

5.0 out of 5 stars These socks are amazing. I own 5 pairs, July 23, 2014
These socks are amazing. I own 5 pairs. My husband likes them so much that he actually stole a pair from me on our trip to Scotland. He now has several pairs of his own, and I am in the process of ordering more.

The wool stays very dry. It is thick enough that it helps keep your shoes/hiking boots from moving around, and it protects your feet from blisters. I rubbed a pretty nasty blister on the back of my heel when I was breaking in my last pair of hiking boots (I wasn't wearing these sock). I bought these socks at the recommendation of a friend, and I haven't used anything else for for my boots (of all kinds) since. These socks cushioned my fresh blister enough that I didn't notice my bandage coming off! I prefer the medium thickness because they are thick enough to protect your feet, but thin enough that they don't feel bulky. They also stood up to multiple wears over several days (thanks to my husband the sock thief).

Overall they are a comfortable fit, they stay dry, and they are very durable. I will continue to purchase these socks, and I would gladly recommend then to any one of my friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too tight around the calves., April 17, 2014
These socks are almost great. The material feels good, the socks look great, the thickness/padding just right, they appear to be well made and are made in the US. And the lower part of the sock fits great, certainly snug but not too snug, just enough to prevent chafing. However, the upper part of the sock is too tight for my legs. I am 5' 6 and 150lbs, not skinny but not fat either. I really wish these socks weren't so tight there because there is no need to. Maybe they want to make sure the sock stays up and pebbles and sand stay out but I circulation is important too and that is somewhat impaired with these socks. And I get red marks on my legs from the socks. I hope the socks will loosen up a bit with use but they are just as likely to shrink.
These socks are also expensive and I have seen huge price differences so shop around before you buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as advertised, January 25, 2013
I walk five days a week before dawn. Winter mornings in central PA can be freezing--especially affected are my feet. These socks are comfortable to wear (even though they contain wool)--soft and not scratchy. I highly recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super warm but tight around the leg/ankle, December 29, 2012
These are beautiful and insanely warm and cozy. They were a dream from hiking. They are very tight around the leg area so I fold them over to the ankle to lessen the suffication and dark indented lines on my legs after I take them off. They do ball up a bit in the foot part even without drying them in the dryer but since they are so comfy and no one sees the part under the shoe, I don't care if they look up bit scraggly. I also bought the midweight hiking socks and they don't have the sufficating band at the top so I like them much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smartwool PhD Socks, August 17, 2012
Smartwool PhD Outdoor Crew Socks have become my favorite hiking socks. They fit extremely well and don't move around in my shoes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ankle and foot portion of socks fit nicely, but the elastic band is lose, July 8, 2014
Ankle and foot portion of socks fit nicely, but the elastic band is lose. Socks must be hand washed in cold water & line dried otherwise you risk the sock build with little "pills" of lint all over them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›