5.0 out of 5 stars Really warm, but...
Published 23 months ago by Michael F. Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars - nice, but too big
The material itself is nice and warm, but it's too big. It gaps in the back, leading to icy air. It's not just a little gap, either. It's a good three inches of extra material or so. For someone a bit bigger than me, I think it would be ideal. Unfortunately, for me, it just doesn't do the trick.

Edit: I am 5'4", 120 pounds and my neck is probably of average...
Published on October 23, 2012 by Targeter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Really warm, but..., January 31, 2013
This review is from: SmartWool Neck Gaiter (Apparel)
I work up in North Dakota in the oilfield... It gets cold here, right now it is -15 with a -34 windchill, finally warming up! Well, this gaiter works as advertised, it is well made with a nice tight weave that keeps the wind and chill off of my neck, most of my face and the lower half of my ears. I use this gaiter with the Smartwool sports beanie, which fits under my hard hat nicely, and the Smartwool Men's Midweight Funnel Zip turtleneck shirt. The turtleneck shirt is almost mandatory with the neck gaiter, as the neck gaiter does not cover that lower part of your neck where your collar bones meet, trachea area. If you purchase this neck gaiter, i would recommend you also purchase a turtleneck or a shirt with a high neck collar to get the full benefit of this neck gaiter, especially if you are in the extreme cold like I am. Combine these three products and your head and neck will stay nice and toasty.

Oh, one other thing, if you have an 18 to 18.5 inch neck like I do, you may find the gaiter a bit tight. It has taken about a week of wearing and a couple of washings, it is now comfortable to wear. If you are a 19 inch plus in the neck, you may want to pass on this neck gaiter.

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect for cold, winter running, March 19, 2013
I got this as I began my running experiments in winter. As an asthmatic, I really needed something to cover my mouth. This fit the bill perfectly. I don't generally wear it over my mouth through the whole run, but occasionally as I need it, and definitely when I'm starting out. If I have it on the whole time, it does hold a little too much moisture. (This is why I only gave it 4 stars)

I also started wearing it with my normal winter gear instead of a scarf. It's wonderful for that as well. Much less bulky than a scarf and so much easier to deal with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and totally wind proof, December 9, 2012
fikat "fikat" (Long Beach, Mexico & Europe) - See all my reviews
A very effective neck gaiter. Comfortable and totally warm. Absolutely no wind gets through and I've been using it while riding a bike in the coldest part of Holland in Winter. I bought the blue as well. Very recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect, December 20, 2011
Nothing bad to say, except maybe just a tad short. Very well made, very comfortable and very warm. Absolutely the best gaiter I've ever owned. Air is warmed quickly as it enters the fabric. I don't know what I've been doing these past winters without this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gould! Gould!, March 11, 2010
Nope (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
Haven't used it out in the field, but it's warm and oh so soft. I am able to breath through it when I pull it up over my face. A little pricey for a neck gator, but you're paying for quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice size, April 3, 2013
This is exactly what I was looking for. It is just the right size for maximum comfort. It does exactly what it is supposed to do and it doesn't itch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm but needed a bit of stretching out, February 11, 2014
This review is from: SmartWool Neck Gaiter (Apparel)
Warm and dry. I found it difficult to get the gaiter to stay up over my mouth and cheeks at first and it was a little tight in that position. Once it stretched out a bit it stayed and I was able to keep it in place with my ski goggles. It dried very quickly and kept me warm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Multi Purpose Goodness, January 11, 2008
Actually bought this one for my wife. These are great. They are so versatile, from hat to neck cover to full head. Use it on a motorcycle to protect lower face from the cold in the winter. Well worth the price you pay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, January 28, 2013
Surprisingly warm for its weight and relatively easy to breathe through on cold days. With some finagling and careful positioning, I've had minimal problems with fogging up my glasses while wearing this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm and comfortable, March 1, 2009
I find neck gaiters much more practical than scarves. Smartwool products are always comfortable and well made. It does what it is supposed to, keep your neck warm.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›