5.0 out of 5 stars Need help with your charts?
This book is an easy-to-read resource with practical tips for effectively creating classroom charts. The authors also write an informative blog that further supports their work in this book. I'd recommend it for a book study or a gift for a student teacher.
Published 23 months ago by Erlyne

3.0 out of 5 stars Smarter charts... needs more examples
I would have liked to see many samples , photos of real charts used in real classrooms. It is a basic book of how to and I'm a more show me style learner.
Published 12 months ago by tall mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Need help with your charts?, September 23, 2012
This review is from: Smarter Charts K-2: Optimizing an Instructional Staple to Create Independent Readers and Writers (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars You Think Your Charts Are Good? Just Wait..., September 18, 2012
I never realized I needed help with my charts, until I met Kristi and Marjorie. I can step into a classroom and I just know who has been to one of their workshops, worked with them as staff developers, who reads their blog regularly, and now - (and I'm so happy for this) who has read their book. Kristi and Marjorie bring their humor, creativity, and love of children and learning to every page of this amazing resource. Charts just seemed like paper to scribble some teaching points on, now I will never look at charts the same way again. (P.S. The book may say K-2, but don't tell anyone I work with older than that kids... because I am borrowing every great idea for them)

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful, September 23, 2012
As a writing coach for my elementary school, I started using this book the day it arrived. My charts are now more interactive and the students are really using them. I only wish I had more wall space in my classrooms!

5.0 out of 5 stars Empowering, Practical, and Fun!, August 22, 2013
If a teacher wants students to be independent (and we all do, right?) then classroom charts and tools that equip kids to make their own choices and remain self-directed are essential. But some of us can't draw. No worries! Kristi and Marjorie teach us how to use symbols and quick drawings to communicate ideas to even the youngest, emergent readers. But some of us are overly wordy. No worries! Kristi and Marjorie teach us how to distill our most important points on a clear chart. But sometimes our kids don't use our charts. No worries! Again, the authors have us covered with practical and clear ways to co-create these learning staples with students and teach them how to use them well. This book is packed with great advice, clear visuals (of course!), and a bunch of humor. You'll enjoy reading this professional book and enjoy even more putting the authors' ideas into practice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Smarter charts... needs more examples, August 26, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, Indeed!!, September 23, 2012
Mary C. Howard (Tulsa, Oklahoma USA) - See all my reviews
Finally - a practical "smart" resource that will help teachers create powerful visual references to support and enhance learning (not just cover wall space). The authors offer an endless array of step by step suggestions, tips and examples teachers can put into practice immediately to enrich their classrooms. The title specifies grades K-2, but I can see this resource being used at all grades with simple adaptations and additions. I hope there are many more books to follow across grades and content areas! I will be recommending it to teachers everywhere!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, April 10, 2013
Not as much in here as I had hoped! :More philosophy than easy to use materials. Maybe good for a brand new teacher.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, September 9, 2013
Pam Mendrick (Weirton, WV United States) - See all my reviews
What I liked most was the drawing that can be used to make your own posters. Would have liked more drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps Make Your Teaching Clear for ELLs!, December 1, 2012
Hi Teachers,
I like Mraz and Martinelli’s book so much because it makes the writing process crystal clear for students, especially ELLs. The authors' quick gestural drawings speak volumes to all students. This book is a great scaffold for struggling writers.
“Smarter Charts” is almost so clear it looks simple, but actually takes the writers through the entire process from prewriting to publishing, and doing it again! Also, this book doesn't just give you a scripted recipe to follow everyday, it gives you the tools to cook in the kitchen by supporting the independent thinking it preaches. Teachers learn how to make clear headings, bullet points, and simple and effective drawings, just like advertisers.
I highly recommend this book to all teachers who have students who struggle with writing and independence in writing, especially ELLs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and User Friendly, October 4, 2012
I have found the book so useful in the classroom because it speaks to the everyday work of teachers in the classroom in a fresh and insightful way.
Working in an international school where teachers are arriving with a variety of approaches and experiences it has been great to be part of a book club that uses this text as a starting point for discussions about creating a common language.
I also appreciate the opportunity to really refine what is in a chart so "less is more" really means something.
It is great to see teachers applying this work across the curriculum too.
Clearly we have caught the charting bug! Thanks Kristi and Marjorie