5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent generator, great customer service experience
Published 13 months ago by JohnAsti

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, OK, but not recommended for whole-house backup
First, the good:
1) It's pretty quiet. According to the db meter app on my phone, ~73db is more or less right at ~20 ft.
2) It has power in spades, and hits its rated wattage without breaking a sweat - easily maintains voltage and frequency. Voltage and frequency regulation are pretty close to rock solid under a variety of loads.
3) Everything you need is...
Published 11 months ago by C

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, OK, but not recommended for whole-house backup, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Smarter Tools ST-GP9500EB Portable Gasoline Generator with Electric Start and Battery, 9500-watt (Lawn & Patio)
First, the good:
3) Everything you need is included - wheel kit, battery, oil. Reasonably easy to assemble with one person.
4) Digital volt/frequency meter is nice
5) Electric start works as advertised
6) Great price. I paid $650. If it were more expensive, I'd go with a Northern Tools Powerhorse, which claims < 6% Total Harmonic Distortion (high THD, I found out after buying this, is one the big problems with these chinese generators)

Now, the bad:
- This generator makes very dirty power - pathetically bad. I don't have a THD meter, but from my oscilloscope trace, I'd say it's > 15-20% when under a large load (SWAG estimate). The power under high-load is so bad that my well pump controller doesn't work right, and fails to disengage the startup winding (causing it to draw 2x the power it's supposed to). If you plan to run sensitive electronics on it, I recommend using an on-line UPS. Since I don't plan on using it except for once in a great while, I'll probably just chance it.
- The exhaust comes out the *back* of this unit (most other units exhaust from the side). This will make constructing an enclosure from a suncast shed *much* more difficult if the shed is to be stored with its back against a building. The muffler design is also not conducive to capturing the exhaust air in a pipe.

Also note that Smarter Tools is merely an importer/exporter -- they do not do their own design, and they do not have their own manufacturing facilities. That being said, according to to other reviews here, they do seem to provide fairly competent support. These generators are actually manufactured by the Qianjiang Group, LTD (see import records -> [...] ), and have 420cc Wenling Jenfeng JF190FPH CHonda (Chinese Honda copy) splash lubricated engines (that actually seem to run fairly well). It's a pity that the actual alternator sucks so bad, because aside from that, this is a great machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent generator, great customer service experience, November 25, 2013
Delivered right to my garage by a 3rd party service, without any visible damage like some of the previous reviewers had encountered. They set up a delivery window by email/phone prior to delivery and I choose to have it arrive on a Saturday so I didn't need to arrange for someone to be home in the middle of the week. Upon unpacking I did notice that one of the two provided keys was broken. I emailed their customer support on Saturday afternoon and had a response by 9:30am Monday morning saying they were shipping me a new set of keys, free of charge. A+ customer service experience for me so far.

Following the quick directions, I assembled the wheels and handles with no issues. I had no problems wheeling the generator around the driveway/on the grass just to see how hard it would be to move it when needed. My only complaint is in regards to adding the oil. The inlet port is nestled deep inside and is very hard to reach without a long/narrow funnel. I tried to use the funnel provided but found it simply wasn't long enough for me to use comfortably so I used one of my own. Even with a long/narrow funnel the angle of the inlet makes it so you have to pour in the oil very slowly or it just overflows. Thankfully, I had left the plastic bag the generator is packed in under it while I was trying to fill it with oil so the small amount that I spilled was easily contained. Connecting the leads to the battery was easy and I tucked them up above the battery to keep them out of the way.

I started the generator using the electric start and it fired right up (after I followed the directions and turned the fuel line valve to the on position). I have an older 5500w generator and this one is significantly quieter, very nice. After letting it run for a while and testing various random power tools in my garage with it I shut it down. Next I tried the manual start and was very surprised with how easily it pulled/started that way too. I would put it on par with the amount of effort required to pull-start a walk-behind mower, it was that smooth/easy. I am waiting on an electrician to install a transfer switch for me before I test out the 220 side of things but so far am extremely pleased with this purchase! I am just waiting for the power to go out again so that I can give this a real test!

Edit: Update after over 5 months of owning. Power still hasn't gone out for me to need to use this for a long-term load test but I did have a transfer switch installed and it handled all of the random lights we had on in the house, the furnaces, two freezers and a large refrigerator (they didn't all cycle at the same time to the best of my knowledge though, that would probably overload it). I also tested the cable modem/router and an xbox 360/tv to see if we would be able to watch dvd's or stream videos at the same time and again, no problems at all. I wheel it out of the garage once a month or every other month and run it for 10 minutes just to help keep the battery topped off. Starts right up with the electric start. Oh, and they did ship me a new set of keys within that first week, free of charge, as mentioned at the start of my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great generator, November 8, 2013
Bryan (Seattle, WA) - See all my reviews
I also received the call that said that the box could be damaged through shipping, which was odd, but it actually arrived with no damage to the box and the unit was in good shape. The only issue was that one of the handles was slightly bent, but still attached and works just fine. The quick start guide was great. I assembled the unit very quickly (just need to add the wheels and crutches). I added oil (which shipped with the unit), filled it with gas and fired it up. Very easy to setup and use. I love it. So far, I am super happy with the purchase. And as generators go, the unit operates very quietly, which I am sure my neighbors will appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as I expected, December 29, 2013
Amazon shipped the generator well via a trucking company. There was good documentation and many tags attached so you couldn't miss anything while setting it up. The oil that is included is 10W40. 10W30 is recommended for most weather. The wheels and handles enable a 70 year old guy to get it outside even though it weighs 200 pounds. I only tested it for 15 minutes but I am sure our New Hampshire weather will enable a longer test soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool, October 28, 2013
very easy to use,great power,great design.good price,and easy to move around.also it is quite and save energy.

The best feature is it can be started by electric or gasoline.

5.0 out of 5 stars RED YAMAHA, OR BLUE YAMAHA-----RED WON, January 22, 2013
WAS GETTING READY TO PURCHASE A 2000 WATT GEN SET FOR MOTORHOME SMALL APPLIANCES AND HAD SETTLED ON A YAMAHA, WENT TO COSTCO FOR GROCERIES AND SAW THIS SMARTER TOOL GEN SET WITH YAMAHA ENGINE, PUT SPECS FOR BOTH OF THEM SIDE BY SIDE AND THEY ARE THE SAME, COST WAS 400 CHEAPER THAN A BLUE YAMAHA, GREAT PRICE.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for money, July 3, 2014
so far so good! starts by key and pull....can't go wrong there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product!, June 23, 2014
Received this product promptly and with no damage to it. Considering the size of it, we are very thankful it was not damaged. Works as expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars arrived and is working well with the electric starter, June 20, 2014
I have this unit in my barn in case i need it. The electric starter is nice. my old generator was a pull start, so this makes it much easier

5.0 out of 5 stars Great generator for the money!, March 8, 2014
Can't beat the power for this price! This generator has plenty of power, it is easy to set up and maneuver.