5.0 out of 5 stars the best!
Can't say enough good stuff about Smartwool socks. I live in them all winter long. The difficulty is finding the right heft. I find the "hiking medium" to be good for day-to-day winter activities in Seattle.
Published on May 27, 2010 by K. Hoehler

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what they used to be
I have a couple old pairs of Smartwool socks that have lasted ten or more years of traveling and hiking around the world. Multi-day hikes in a constant downpour in New Zealand - my feet were the only dry and comfortable part of me.

My most recent two pairs of Smartwools have multiple holes in them from less than one year of light use.

I have to...
Published 14 months ago by chungking

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what they used to be, December 18, 2013

I have to conclude that like everything else, Smartwool is not what it used to be. While growing into a mass-market product, they've kept the price but taken out the quality.

2.0 out of 5 stars Something has changed. These are not the same quality they used to be., March 21, 2014
Shutterbug LA (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
The first time I discovered Smartwool socks I thought that I had died and gone to heaven. The socks were so incredibly comfortable, fast drying and odor resistant I couldn't believe that I had worn and suffered through plain cotton socks for so many years years.

But something has changed. The socks barely lost 8 to 10 months before holes started appearing in either the toe or heel area. And I'm not just talking about one pair in five or one pair in six I'm talking about every pair I have bought, and maybe more importantly, YOU will buy.

You will absolutely love the socks the day that you receive them. You will love them even six months afterward. But before year is done I guarantee you you will have holes in them and you will not be happy.

I switched over to Darn Tough Socks. While I don't believe that they have the same odor resistance as pure 100% wool (DTS have some Nylon in them), these socks have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. They are also slightly more expensive, but I am enraged that I have lost upwards of 10 pairs of socks to various holes and thinning with Smartwool.

I am REALLY REALLY displeased as these are not cheap socks, and they should last! I am totally unhappy with whatever has been happening with this company and their production methods. Get your act together Smartwool, you had a great product and you need to go back to making these however you were before.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, May 27, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Socks, August 29, 2012
These feel like walking on pillows. I really love these socks. If you are getting excited about socks, you know you made a good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Socks I've Ever Worn, September 12, 2012
This review is from: Smartwool Men's Hiking Medium Crew Sock (Sports Apparel)
I love smartwool socks. They are expensive at $10+/pair, but they are really good socks. Super soft, warm, and breathable. They also do a good job at keeping my feet from sweating too much (which is sometimes a problem with other socks). And they don't really absorb odors or moisture and themselves stay dry and fresh without washing for longer than most other socks I've worn.

This pair in particular adds a little extra cushion as well, which is great for hiking. I've also never had any problems with rubbed/chafed skin or blisters with these, even after 10+ mile hikes. Great, great socks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great socks, but elastic is weak, May 15, 2012
This review is from: Smartwool Men's Hiking Medium Crew Sock (Sports Apparel)
I wore these for a 13 mile hike and by the second half of the hike the elastic at the top was very loose and stretched out. Other than that I would recommend these socks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing ever., May 23, 2012
This review is from: Smartwool Men's Hiking Medium Crew Sock (Sports Apparel)
These socks exceeded all of my expectations, I don't know what kind of magic they are made from but it's amazing.

Fell knee deep into some freezing water with pants over and thermal underwear under. Took everything off, rang it out and while still damp were already beginning to dry, even inside waterlogged shoes. Kept them inside of a sleeping bag with me on a 28 degree night so they wouldn't freeze and woke up to them being bone dry.

Now I just need to buy several more pairs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Socks definitely smarter than a 5th grader!, March 4, 2011
ARLMAR "arlmar" (new port richey, fl) - See all my reviews
My husband uses these for hiking & mountain biking. Defintely his most comfortable socks. Although they have wool they are NOT itchy. He has thick ankles but these leave no marks & don't cut off the circulation. They are soft to the feel. When washing always use mild soaps such as Woolite, no fabric softener, add a little hair conditioner at the end, rinse out & hang inside out. They'll last forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Hiking Sock, February 18, 2011
Needed to change to different socks for my hiking boots. With the new orthotics that I have my sock system of 30 years (sock liner and wool ragg socks) was too tight. SmartWool socks give me the performance of wool and the fit of a synthetic sock. After two years they hold up well and keep their shape. A much cheaper solution than replacing all of my outdoor boots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Socks, slightly overpriced, August 16, 2013
I had seen the multiple 5 star ratings for these socks, and thought they must be worth the $20+ pricetag for a pair. I have had wool socks from a number of establishments and I compared the smartwool socks to them.
Smartwool socks are slightly thicker than some of my other socks.
Smartwool socks are not the most comfortable socks I own. I have a couple of pairs from Bass Pro Shops that were in the $10 range that I enjoy much more. I think this is just a personal preference, and the BPS socks have more elastic, and are not as thick as the SW.

Overall, the socks are well made, and do everything wool socks are supposed to do. They just don't do anything dramatically better than other brands.